Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Cover-2: Hybrid OL of the 2011 Draft

Does a great job breaking down a couple OLmen.

Cover-2: Hybrid OL of the 2011 Draft

With back to back Jacobs' Blocking Trophies under his belt, Hudson entered the Senior Bowl as accomplished as any lineman in the country but still needing to answer questions about his ability to compete against NFL-caliber talent. The reason for scouts' concern was Hudson's lack of ideal size. Hudson weighed in a bit heavier than he had at Florida State, helping his cause. He then demonstrated the same excellent lateral agility and quick, explosive hands that had helped him develop his sterling reputation with the Seminoles.

Shorter and lighter than what most teams want in a traditional guard, Hudson probably projects as a pro center. Zone-blocking teams will consider keeping him outside. Unlike most linemen his size, Hudson is surprisingly effective in anchoring against big defensive tackles, so there is a possibility he'll remain outside. However, his intelligence, agility and technique make him an ideal at the pivot for clubs not operating out of a zone-blocking scheme. Regardless of where he's placed on the interior, Hudson rates as one of the surer prospects of the entire 2011 draft -- especially among the offensive linemen.
    Scouts didn't really know what to expect when Danny Watkins was moved inside to left guard at the Senior Bowl. Not only was he being asked to switch positions, but there were also questions about his ability to compete against talent of this caliber: He'd only played two seasons at the FBS level and only four years of football, total.

Watkins looked like he'd played left guard all of his life, however, bringing the same nasty, physical style of play inside that he'd shown outside as Baylor's left tackle. Watkins' heavy hands jolt the defender and allow him to control his opponent despite the fact that he is still learning technique. Athletic and balanced, he has the agility to handle quicker pass rushers and the combination of strength and size to anchor against power, making him an ideal fit inside.

Certainly there were flashier prospects in Mobile this year, but with the possible exception of Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder, no player entered the Senior Bowl week of practice with more questions -- and provided more resounding answers -- than Watkins. Some teams I've spoken to now rank Watkins as every bit the interior line prospect as the two most hyped players at the position -- Hudson and Florida's Mike Pouncey.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Cover-2: Hybrid OL of the 2011 Draft

Cover-2: OTs of the 2011 Draft

Same with the G's. Looks at the T's.

The Parade High School All-American stayed home to play for his hometown Badgers despite the daunting task of replacing Joe Thomas, an All-American left tackle and third overall pick of the 2007 NFL draft. Carimi hasn't made Wisconsin fans forget about Thomas altogether, but he has played well enough to earn praise from coaches and he owns the physical traits scouts like. Carimi is a potential Top 10 pick because of his prototypical size, excellent athleticism and the importance placed on the left tackle position. NFL offensive line coaches won't like the way he bends at the waist and the number of plays he ends up on the ground, but they will ask their general managers to take a chance on his talent because he could be a longtime NFL starter.
    Solder appeared to distance himself from the rest of the offensive tackles on the North team, though Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi and Boston College's Anthony Castonzo had solid performances. Solder's relatively slight frame worries some scouts, but others see his already solid weight-room numbers and believe he has the potential to put on another 15-20 pounds of muscle over the next few years. His height works as a detriment when facing smaller, quicker defensive ends, but his off-the-charts athleticism and above-average strength gives Solder a very good chance to be a long-time starting NFL tackle.
    Possessing rare foot quickness and balance for a man his size, Sherrod easily protected the edge when in pass protection. At times, he'd extend his left arm out to slow the pass rush of his primary assignment, while leaning inside to help the Bulldogs' young left guards. His nimble footwork and good upper body strength made him equally effective as a run blocker. I've spoken to scouts who would like to see Sherrod finish his blocks with a nastier demeanor. Some of this issue might simply be due to the fact that the game appears to come easy to him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

I think we should stay away from Watkins this team is already old as it is, its time to get young and start rebuilding this team.
    None

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1091461
    I think we should stay away from Watkins this team is already old as it is, its time to get young and start rebuilding this team.
    I really need to do a player/age comparison thread again so that I can verify my next statement.

This team is not old. It has 4 or 5 really old players last year that skew the avg age. Take them away and you will see if is well below league avg.

Another thing to look at, those old dudes aren't performing up to league avg with respect to production and would be leaving anyways. Probably should have left a year or two ago.