Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JDante is offline Rookie

Re: Courtney Watson????

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Muggsy,

I see some positives, but I think the weaknesses they list here would be a negative for our new cover 2 type D being implimented. If I'm not wrong, LB"S playing in this type of D should be more of the speed type player with strong drop back into passing coverage skills and those seem to be the exact areas he is lacking in....

I second that...
    Yea.

JDante is offline Rookie

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Muggsy,

I see some positives, but I think the weaknesses they list here would be a negative for our new cover 2 type D being implimented. If I'm not wrong, LB"S playing in this type of D should be more of the speed type player with strong drop back into passing coverage skills and those seem to be the exact areas he is lacking in....

I second that...
    Yea.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Muggsy" wrote:
    Ok, youse mugs, here's da skinny on dis palooka. He don't sound bad ta me. Him or Edwards would be a good addition, y'know?
    ==================================================
    #55 Courtney Watson | LB Roster:

Full Name: Courtney Watson
    Born: September 18, 1980
    Sarasota, FL
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 246 lbs.

Pos: LB
    Experience: 2 years
    College: Notre Dame
    Drafted: Year:2004 Round:2 Pick:28, Saints

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 72 | Key
    Alert: None

Comment:
    He has good upper body strength and he uses his hands well in shedding blockers. He shows good explosiveness at the point of attack. He lacks ideal speed but still has the range to play sideline to sideline. He is a little stiff in the hips and his top end speed is not what you would like to see however he shows the ability to run with most backs and tight ends. He takes good angles to the ball and he can play through blocks in traffic and get to the ball. He is a strong tackler when he gets to the ball carrier. His lack of top end speed will get him mis-matched versus some of the more speedy backs in the league and he does not have the ability to make up for a mistake in coverage. He has adequate change of direction skills and decent lateral movement.
    Can he play the middle? If not, then we don't need him. We have plenty of LBs that can play the Sam and Will positions, but we NEED someone to step in and take over the Mike. Edwards would be that man...and he would solidify the middle...especially sitting behind KWill and PWill. He would easily get his 150 tackles in our defense!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

I agree with you Cajun. No one on the market at the moment would give us more of what we need than Donnie Edwards. We have like 6 OLBs and 0 true MLBs. Well you might make a case that Napo is a true MLB, but so far he is in line to be labeled a bust.

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

Watson was already traded to Buffalo, so that option is gone.
    here is the story.....

"• It's always difficult for a team to admit a mistake with a high-round draft choice, but a tip of the cap to New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis and first-year coach Sean Payton for cutting their losses with defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan and linebacker Courtney Watson this week. On consecutive days, the Saints shipped Sullivan, a first-rounder in 2003 and the sixth overall player selected that year, and 2004 second-rounder Watson to new teams. That's a lot of hard swallowing for one week. New Orleans didn't get a lot in return, equally enigmatic wide receiver Bethel Johnson from New England in the Sullivan deal and backup tight end Tim Euhus from Buffalo in the Watson swap, but sometimes a team can benefit from a little addition by subtraction. That might well be true with the jettisoning of Sullivan and Watson. In the case of Sullivan, well, he drove the Jim Haslett staff bonkers with his lack of motivation and annual battles of the bulge for three seasons, and it took Payton barely three months to realize that he wanted no part of the talented but underachieving defensive tackle. The Saints invested $13.12 million in Sullivan over three years and their dividend by comparison was miniscule, as he posted only 102 tackles and 1½ sacks. Watson, on the other hand, wasn't so much an underachiever as a guy who the New Orleans coaches and front office determined was a poor fit for the defensive scheme that is being installed by coordinator Gary Gibbs.

Thanks Lotza!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12