Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Courtney Watson????

Word is that Watson may be on the trading block or be cut by the Saints. If the Vikings aren't going to go for Donnie Edwards, do you think Watson may be a good fit? He will come cheap and shows decent promise. He can add a little depth to the LB Position. Probably would be a good STer as well.

I'm interested at what people think.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Courtney Watson????

Might be a decent pickup but the Saints need LBs too, so I don't know why they would cut Watson unless he was ticked off at them. He may be an option but right now I would rather have Edwards.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Actually they picked up Tommy Polley and Jay Foreman in the offseason. They are somewhat deep at LB and remember they traded him last month to the Dolphins but the deal fell through because Eddie Moore didn't pass his physical.

I do agree Edwards would be better.

Just remembered the Polley signing happened yesterday so I guess that is why they will get rid of Watson. He started for them last season didn't he?

Who started for who? If you're talking about Watson, yes he did at some point but I don't think all season. I'm not entirely sure. I do know he can be pretty decent and he will come cheap. I like adding him even if we go after Edwards. We need more depth there.

"ejmat" wrote:
    Who started for who? If you're talking about Watson, yes he did at some point but I don't think all season. I'm not entirely sure. I do know he can be pretty decent and he will come cheap. I like adding him even if we go after Edwards. We need more depth there.
    We do need more (better) depth but we have

N. Harris
    Greenway
    Henderson
    D. Thomas
    B. Leber
    R. Davis
    H. Farwell (ST player)

Do you think he could beat out Davis or Farwell to make the last LB spot?

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Ok, youse mugs, here's da skinny on dis palooka. He don't sound bad ta me. Him or Edwards would be a good addition, y'know?
    ==================================================
    #55 Courtney Watson | LB Roster:

Full Name: Courtney Watson
    Born: September 18, 1980
    Sarasota, FL
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 246 lbs.

Pos: LB
    Experience: 2 years
    College: Notre Dame
    Drafted: Year:2004 Round:2 Pick:28, Saints

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 72 | Key
    Alert: None

Comment:
    He has good upper body strength and he uses his hands well in shedding blockers. He shows good explosiveness at the point of attack. He lacks ideal speed but still has the range to play sideline to sideline. He is a little stiff in the hips and his top end speed is not what you would like to see however he shows the ability to run with most backs and tight ends. He takes good angles to the ball and he can play through blocks in traffic and get to the ball. He is a strong tackler when he gets to the ball carrier. His lack of top end speed will get him mis-matched versus some of the more speedy backs in the league and he does not have the ability to make up for a mistake in coverage. He has adequate change of direction skills and decent lateral movement.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

Thanks for the info Muggsy, I didn't know that Watson was a 2nd round pick by the Saints which makes it surprising that they want to get rid of him so soon.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Muggsy" wrote:
    Ok, youse mugs, here's da skinny on dis palooka. He don't sound bad ta me. Him or Edwards would be a good addition, y'know?
    ==================================================
    #55 Courtney Watson | LB Roster:

Full Name: Courtney Watson
    Born: September 18, 1980
    Sarasota, FL
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 246 lbs.

Pos: LB
    Experience: 2 years
    College: Notre Dame
    Drafted: Year:2004 Round:2 Pick:28, Saints

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 72 | Key
    Alert: None

Comment:
    He has good upper body strength and he uses his hands well in shedding blockers. He shows good explosiveness at the point of attack. He lacks ideal speed but still has the range to play sideline to sideline. He is a little stiff in the hips and his top end speed is not what you would like to see however he shows the ability to run with most backs and tight ends. He takes good angles to the ball and he can play through blocks in traffic and get to the ball. He is a strong tackler when he gets to the ball carrier. His lack of top end speed will get him mis-matched versus some of the more speedy backs in the league and he does not have the ability to make up for a mistake in coverage. He has adequate change of direction skills and decent lateral movement.
    Muggsy,

I see some positives, but I think the weaknesses they list here would be a negative for our new cover 2 type D being implimented. If I'm not wrong, LB"S playing in this type of D should be more of the speed type player with strong drop back into passing coverage skills and those seem to be the exact areas he is lacking in.....

thanks for the info though.

Hey, by the way, isn't it lights out where your at by now?.... :wink:

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

I'm not sure about Rod Davis. I do believe he can beat out Napo. Just my opinion. I like his stregnths and one of the things the Vikes need is a good tackler that can get to the ball. With all the speed around him it may not be that big of a deal. I think for the money he's worth taking a shot at. He will come pretty cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast