Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Could Vikings Trade Out of the First Round Entirely?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Don't see us trading out, but I see us moving down to pick up more picks
    Again, not picking on you GG, however, why?
    What are we gonna use the additional picks for?
    Honestly I see the talent at the back end of the first round and the front of the second round to be really similar this season, but some guys are just not regarded as "First round guys" for whatever reasons.

At 22 I'm really only sold on Alphonso Smith or Vontae Davis if they happen to drop that far, which they very well could.

Lots of sites have us picking Britton at 22, which I'm ok with, but I don't think he's going to be that big of an improvement over Cook.

If we could get an early slot in the second round we could pick up a receiver without stretching for them. For example, I've read that Britt and Nicks are not worth 1st round picks.

We could do a lot with 2 second rounders without having to over pay.

I said this yesterday and I'm sticking with it now, if Alphonso Smith or Vontae Davis aren't available at 22 I want to trade out of the first round.

If we can pick up another second round pick, I'll be happy and not have to worry about trading out. Then we do go for Britton.

I really just want to pick twice in the second, this is a deep class.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=Garland Greene link=topic=51501.msg936174#msg936174 date=1240240779]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51501.msg936168#msg936168 date=1240240281]
    [quote author=Garland Greene link=topic=51501.msg936164#msg936164 date=1240239677]
    Anytime yo can add depth especially through the draft, its a good thing. And I really belive that the lack of FA signings is because they are looking at quite a few players that cn help them through the draft especially with depth. Outside of our first Pick, the rest of the draft i really see as looking at players that will add depth. Most notably LB, WR, OL, DT
    I gottcha.
    Problem for me is that when I go through the roster and try to get it down to 53 from what it currently sits at, I just don't see many Rookies making the team.

I would much rather see them package picks and move up for better talent than to trade out and move down.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=50281.0
    I agree, I would love to see us package our 5th and 7ths and move into the 3rd or 4th round.
    This is why many people feel that this team is Superbowl ready. We just don't have any huge needs.
    gol 'darnit.......We are agreeing on something....Now I have to change my stance.

;D
    [/quote]

Old Marr would have never let this happen!
    [/quote]
    ; :-[
    :-*

I agree... I'd rather see us pick up another first day draft choice... we could bring in 3 draftees with a shot at maybe making the team and a bunch of UDFA as training camp fodder.
    Lets face it, unless you're completely rebuilding a team, you're not going to pick up much talent on day 2 that you could find an equivalent UDFA for most of the time.
    I can live with that scenario but I think you mean use our lower round picks to get the extra day pick, not trade down out of our first though right, as alude to above?

:
    [/quote]

Yep... though I wouldn't mind 3 Second rounders versus a First and a Second... unless someone drops heavy, I don't see a game changer available for us in the First... you add great Depth in the Second and Third rounds IMO.
    I haven't read everything available on the draft but I don't believe we have a Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss type impact WR available to us and while I'm not a Cook fan, I'm not sure bringing in a stud rookie RT is going to push us farther into the playoffs.
    I believe Hicks would beat out any rookie RT available at our pick.
    Maybe I'm short sighted but I draft starters in the first round.
    If you don't have the ability to get a starter dump the pick and get some additional first day depth.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Mr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Honestly I see the talent at the back end of the first round and the front of the second round to be really similar this season, but some guys are just not regarded as "First round guys" for whatever reasons.

At 22 I'm really only sold on Alphonso Smith or Vontae Davis if they happen to drop that far, which they very well could.

Lots of sites have us picking Britton at 22, which I'm ok with, but I don't think he's going to be that big of an improvement over Cook.

If we could get an early slot in the second round we could pick up a receiver without stretching for them. For example, I've read that Britt and Nicks are not worth 1st round picks.

I said this yesterday and I'm sticking with it now, if Alphonso Smith or Vontae Davis aren't available at 22 I want to trade out of the first round.

If we can pick up another second round pick, I'll be happy and not have to worry about trading out. Then we do go for Britton.

I'm with you on the whole "Pick Twice in the Second" however, not sure what the difference between that and picking late in the first 22 and the second 54 is?

As you said, the talent isn't that much different between 20 and say 35 so why not just take the guy you think fits at 22 (other than you pay him a bit more) and then another guy at 54.

Then package your later round picks to move up and get a guy you target either late second or early third.
    Give you a draft of cats 1rst, 2nd 2nd, 3rd or something along that lines.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

I'm with you on the whole "Pick Twice in the Second" however, not sure what the difference between that and picking late in the first 22 and the second 54 is?

As you said, the talent isn't that much different between 20 and say 35 so why not just take the guy you think fits at 22 (other than you pay him a bit more) and then another guy at 54.

Then package your later round picks to move up and get a guy you target either late second or early third.
    Give you a draft of cats 1rst, 2nd 2nd, 3rd or something along that lines.
    there are holes all over either of these theories...

IMO, at 22.. yes, they say the talent is about the same through the 2nd round.. ok, but as far as value, you can find the same corner in smith and Davis as you can in Jarius byrd and aston asher who are rated approx. 7th and 8th in their positions in corner.. i don't see much of a difference in those guys esp. at corner in a cover 2 scheme..

but on the otherside, your looney out of your mind if you think Britton isnt' an upgrade over Cook.... Britton is a projected 1st/2nd rounder who is a versitile left tackle in college that is expected to be pretty much dominant on the right side... how you think that's not an upgrade over cook, is beyond me!.. who was a reach in the second round, never played tackle and was a projected 5th round pick.. major reach.. and think about it.. if he didn't play tackle in college, what the hell makes you think he could do it in the NFL??

third thing is, I can see where Marr is coming from saying we don't have much room on the roster.. but say we trade out of the 1st and get an early 2nd and say a 3rd.. that's 4 picks in the top 100 picks.. we could get a very good tackle/center like an Alex Mack, Eben Britten, or Max Unger... one of those guys will be ther and would be upgrades over Sullivan or Cook...

Take a receiver, who would challenge for 5th on the roster behind AA, and Holt... perhaps, Wade depending on the development could end up being on the chopping block.. considering his age and salary.. Probably not but possible..

3rd round you can get a corner, who could be a serviceable dime / nickel back and then move Winny to safety.. we are a little short at that position right now anyway... atleast we have flexibility... McCauley, Sapp, or Gordon could be on the outs.. even though i think McCauley had a sophmore slump!

with the 4th pick in the third you take your running back... who could be a versitile back who could return kicks, or just be a shifty all purpose kind of guy.. or you can take your DT..

honestly, i think we should be looking at a replacement for Pat, but you don't draft a guy and fill a roster spot assuming we'll be without them for only 4 games.. we have pretty good depth there and along the D-line... if anything i think we'd sign a temporary stop gap if they get suspended... looking at a longer term solution in the next draft... considering we re-signed Evans, Kennedy, have Guion...

in the 5th round, highly unlikely, but we could look at another QB, LB or speedy WR who slipped or we could package a 5th and a 7th to move into the bottom half of the 4th round and get someone who slips..

So all in all, i do see there being some very competitive positions opening up esp. at the bottom half of the roster... who's to say some of the regular guys who always make it are guaranteed spots.. you just never know!!..

then there's always the P.squad!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

If we trade out of the first round, that's a pretty good indication that this staff has no idea what it's doing.

Trading out of the 1st round makes no sense for the Vikings right now. None.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    If we trade out of the first round, that's a pretty good indication that this staff has no idea what it's doing.

+1 lol

Which wouldnt surprise me with ur boy Chilly calling some shots

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"V4L" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

+1 lol

I'm trying to back of the "Chilly" talk and just say "Staff"...

Here's to hoping Childress proves me wrong on everything this year.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Anytime yo can add depth especially through the draft, its a good thing. And I really belive that the lack of FA signings is because they are looking at quite a few players that cn help them through the draft especially with depth. Outside of our first Pick, the rest of the draft i really see as looking at players that will add depth. Most notably LB, WR, OL, DT
    I gottcha.
    Problem for me is that when I go through the roster and try to get it down to 53 from what it currently sits at, I just don't see many Rookies making the team.

I would much rather see them package picks and move up for better talent than to trade out and move down.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=50281.0
    Valid point like always Marr. I just think last year that we saw what having lack of depth could do to this team.
    When we are stuck picking up guys off the scrap heap like Kennedy and Harris, I give them props for being able to step in and do a semi-decent job given the circumstances. I personally think that the #22 position is not were we are going to end up as our first pick. I really belive that the mindset going is that there are several players that will help this team. And traditionally we have moved around each year in some way or another right before or during the draft. Rememebr we didn't trade for allen until right befire the draft.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

+1 lol

I'm trying to back of the "Chilly" talk and just say "Staff"...

Here's to hoping Childress proves me wrong on everything this year.

Haha stick with it man it's funny shit

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Hell if we could I would say get as many picks as yu can in the second third and fourth round. Screw it after that. If there is a "special project" player sitting there in the 6th or 7th it's pretty easy to get a deal done with someone to pick up a pick that late.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast