Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Could The Vikings be the team that Shane Oliviea signed to?

There is no link to this thread because it's actually just my speclation.

A few weeks back the 49ers tried to arrange a meet and greet with Shane Oliviea to discuss the possibility of signing him. His agent responded that he had already chosen a team and signed with said team. They; agent, team and player; were simply waiting for the June 1st cuts to announce it.

That date has since come and gone and no announcement has been made. It began to dawn on that me that there is a good chance that the Vikings are the mystery team and Oliviea may be a Viking. I've listed the reasons below.

I. Lack of Announment.
    It seems to me that they aren't a lot of teams that would have a reason to hide the signing of a former Pro Bowl OT. I believe the
    Vikings are of possibly 5 teams that would want this information kept seceret.
    With Mac's trial still in limbo and a suspension hanging over his head should his lawyer not be able to get him admitted to the pre-trail program, the Vikings would be foolish to not have a quality back up plan ready in the event a multi game suspension is handed out. The draft passed and it wasn't addressed. I believe that the Vikings could be waiting for a legal decision on Mac to be handed down; while appearing to fully support the player; before signing Shane. The lack of announment goes hand in hand with the delay of Mac's trial to June 20th ( previously June 2nd)

II. Team Prestige
    Shane wants to play for a winner and a starting spot. We can offer Shane both. Mac's possible suspension will get him playing time at LT and Shane and his agent probally feel that he can beat out Cook for a starting gig. Shane is recently removed from the Chargers, who are on the brink of a Superbowl apperance. He would want to resign with an elite team or an up and comer.

III. Contract
    His contract will be
    easy for us absorb. Loosing Birk and Sharper next year. Will free up significant cap room. Shane will command a decent salary but not a blockbuster one. He is a former 7th round pick who was lost his starting spot due to injuries and then was cut. He should request a middle of the pack contract.

Again this is all speculation and it is not being stated as fact. I just feel like if we were to examine the situation, it's possible that we may be adding a quality player to our roster soon.

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Could The Vikings be the team that Shane Oliviea signed to?

That is some mysterious shit.
    I hadn't heard about it, if nothing else it's something to speculate about for awhile but you'd think if a new team signed him they would want him there for OTA's/mini-camp to start learning assignments and the local press would catch on.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

But would the intentionally hold a player out of offseason activities without an injury?
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"lakehubertviking" wrote:
    That is some mysterious pooh.
    I hadn't heard about it, if nothing else it's something to speculate about for awhile but you'd think if a new team signed him they would want him there for OTA's/mini-camp to start learning assignments and the local press would catch on.
    You would think so right? I guess they are most intrested in Mandatory camps. Seeing that most of these are in late June, We'll see!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

No Thanks. Shane O was considered a fine RT at one time but has been complete garbage which lead him to being benched in favor of another guy and eventually cut from the squad. To add to his disappointment after a contract extension he is a RT, we would need a LT. Cook is our RT and will only move back to Center if its absolutly needed, even then we got three other guys, Sulivan, Mozes, and Herrera who can snap the ball and are the prototypical size for a center. The thought of Cook at Center would really boost the size in our offensive lineman but he's got all the talent and size to be an actual RT in this league and I believe that is exactly why we drafted him in the 2nd round. The plan was never to have him play primary center, we actually drafted a Tackle.

It is good speculation and somewhat of a mystery given our current situation with McKinnie. IMO I hope this does not happen, I would rather see us go with Chase Johnson in the event that McKinnie is charged and suspended. Too many Charger fans will tell you they were very upset with Shane's overall play and wished he had been benched much sooner. I don't think Shane possess the type of work ethic that Ryan Cook does and I don't see him beating Cook out or even signing him.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

You would rather see Chase Johnson play, who has no playing experience at one of the hardest positions in the NFL, than a player who started almost all the games he's been in this league for a team that has had one of the top offenses in the league every year?

Why?
    Because Chase Johnson is big?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

That's some funny stuff. Like an urban legend or something.
    Sorry but I doubt it.
    But I'll willingly eat Crow if it happens.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

im assuming somebody wouldve caught wind of it by now if it was us..i wouldnt mind it either way since im always a big fan of quality depth, and im not sure the backups we have right now would fall under the 'quality backup' catagory
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    You would rather see Chase Johnson play, who has no playing experience at one of the hardest positions in the NFL, than a player who started almost all the games he's been in this league for a team that has had one of the top offenses in the league every year?

Why?
    Because Chase Johnson is big?
    Oh yeah, would you rather have Shane O playing left tackle at 6-4 314 pounds? Do some research on Shane and you will find that his pass blocking has been very poor and he's average in the run game. Chargers fans feel about as good about Shane as we do about Troy Williamson.

Shane's out the picture IMO, he's better suited at Gaurd then Tackle and we have plenty of help there. Artis Hicks in the next option, he already lost his job at Gaurd to Herrera, how do you think he will fair at LT against top competion? IMO Chase would give us our best option, depending on how things go with McKinnie we can get him matched up with Jared Allen in practice to get him as ready as we can for week #1. His size is a plus but he was a very good player in college showing his skills and durabitly.

I wish I knew more about Chase Johnson and how well he's done with the playbook, the weight room and his actuall work ethic to be completly certain he's the best option. Right now I know Shane is very very unlikely to become a Viking and Artis Hicks at LT gives me the goosebumbs. If you got a better plan for the current situation share.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

He signed with the patriots. They sign everybody ;D
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast