Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Could the Chargers be a potential draft day trade partner for the Vikings?

Cedric had off the field issues lately? I don't seem to remember anything..

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    With the new trade chart that came out a few days ago, it would cost us a 3rd and 5th to trade
    firsts with the Bills (#11). I think that would make a lot of sense, because we could grab either Harvey or Chris Williams (both of which are almost certainly to be gone at #17), and the Bills could get extra picks and still get a CB or WR that they need. I would be ecstatic if we moved up for Chris Williams, traded our second for Jason Taylor, and then drafted Brian Johnston and Kevin O'Connell in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
    Oh yeah!!
    That would be tremendous.
    I'd be fine with just trading up to grab Harvey or Ryan Clady.
    Don't know if I'd trade up for Williams as I don't think he is much better than any of the other top tackles (Otah, Cherilus, Baker, etc), but maybe Branden Albert would be worth a look there too.
    I think Williams is right up there with Clady, he has all the physical stats and potential, he was the captain of the team, and scored a 34 on the Wonderlic, not to mention having the athletiscm to be perfect for our zone blocking scheme. With McKinnie definitely suspended, and possibly facing jail time, Williams would be exactly what we need.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with Williams if he fell to 17, but I don't think he will.
    In that case I would rather trade up for Clady (see previous post) since I believe his ceiling is higher than Williams', though Chris is a very solid player.
    If we get a tackle and DE that can start in this draft, I will be ecstatic.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

"aaeyers" wrote:
    Cedric had off the field issues lately? I don't seem to remember anything..
    Last year, almost to the date:
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/11704661.html

Not a huge deal, but could be a sign of things to come (ala McKinnie).
    For me the trade has less to do with his arrest, it has more to do with I think both McCauley and Gordon are better than him.
    I also like a lot of the Cbs in this year's draft more than him.
    As a fan I want the best players on the field, and I don't think that includes Cedric.
    Just my opinion.

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Anyway, getting back to the topic of trading...

What about a scenario where we trade up to the Ravens' pick at #8 if either of the Longs or Clady are available?

Ravens get:

Vikings get:
    Bryant McKinnie

8th overall pick (Ryan Clady)
    Cedric Griffin
    Vike's 2nd rounder
    Conditional 2009 pick

Why it works:

The Ravens fill 2 of their needs with good veteran players and get the second rounder back that they spent in the McGahee trade.
    The conditional pick depends on how long McKinnie's suspension is...assuming he does get suspended.
    Ex: 4 games or less=4th rounder
    5-8 games suspended=3rd rounder
    9 or more=2nd rounder.

The Vikings get rid of two players that have had off the field issues recently, sending a clear message to the team that if they continually screw up, they are gone.
    They also get the best ZB LT prospect in the draft who will improve his game even more playing next to Hutch.

Part 2 of the equation:

Trade up with the Bills (as suggested earlier in thread):

Bills get:

Vikings get:

Vike's 1st rounder

11th overall pick...Derrick Harvey
    Vike's 3rd rounder
    Vike's 5th rounder

Why it works:
    Bills get more picks to fill the many holes in their squad.
    Moving back to 17 makes sense for them since their biggest needs are at CB and WR, and they can get a good one at #17.

Vikings fill their biggest need with a stud LDE, possibly the best in the draft.
    Some say Harvey has a quicker first step than Gholston.

In this scenario the Vikes would lose Mt. Turd, Cedric, and their 3rd and 5th rounders.
    NOTE:
    I do not count the 1st and 2nd rounders as losses as they are replaced by highly valuable draft picks.

The Vikes gain 2 stud first round rookies and still have picks in rounds 3,4,6 (twice), and 7.
    Here are the picks I would like in those spots after making those trades on draft day:

Round 3 (from Denver):

Trade back and pick up a 5th rounder from a team in the latter half of the 3rd round...with the new 3rd rounder the Vikings select...

Antwuan Molden, CB, Eastern Kentucky.

He gives us some tough competition at CB.
    Will compete with McCauley, Gordon, and Sapp for the starting position opposite Winfield.

Round 4:

Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego
    The fastest QB in this year's draft also had a 36:1 TD:INT ration last season.
    He is a natural leader on the field with a strong arm, solid accuracy and nice mechanics.
    The only thing I think he needs to work on is making his spiral a bit tighter, tends to throw some wobbly passes, even though they are on time and accurate.

Round 5:

Frank Okam, DT, Texas

A monster of a man that was once regarded as a first or second round pick.
    If the coaching staff can motivate this guy, he could be a huge steal at this point.

Round 6a:

Bobbie Williams, SS, Bethune-Cookman

Anyone that has seen any of my previous mocks knows how much I love this guy.
    A hard-hitting athlete with decent ball-skills.
    A poor man's Sean Taylor IMO.

Round 6b:

Fernando Velasco, OG/C, Georgia

An athletic big man that can play any position on the interior offensive line.
    Will probably take a year or two to develop into a solid player, but his potential is great.

Round 7:

Thaddeus Coleman, OT, Mississippi Valley State

A raw tackle that plays with a mean streak.
    Worth a shot with a 7th rounder.

To summarize, the Vikings get:
    Ryan Clady
    Derrick Harvey
    Antwuan Molden
    Josh Johnson
    Frank Okam
    Bobbie Williams
    Fernando Velasco
    Thaddeus Coleman

and lose:
    Big Turd
    Cedric Griffin
    A 3rd and 5th round pick (which they get one in that 3rd round trade anyway)

Wow, that took a lot of time!
    Let me know if I missed anything here.
    Thoughts?
    Questions?

Another potential pick in the 3rd round is Reggie Smith, S/CB, Oklahoma.
    After a disappointing 40 time, Smith has seen his stock plummet, so this is a possibility.
    Charles Godfrey and Patrick Lee might be options too.
    I really like what we have to work with this year and hope that the FO makes good use of its resources.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Phat Pat might be able to motivate Okam...get a little Texas-Texas A&M rivalry going in practice.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Phat Pat might be able to motivate Okam...get a little Texas-Texas A&M rivalry going in practice.
    If anyone can do it, it would be Phat Pat.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I like your work jkj, except for including Griffin in the trade. I just see us starting a different young CB accross from Winfield as a step backwards. If TJ deserves another year. Griff certainly does too.

Still, its interesting to see trades like that. I would like to see how you would orchestrate a draft day trade involving Taylor and how that affects our draft.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    I like your work jkj, except for including Griffin in the trade. I just see us starting a different young CB accross from Winfield as a step backwards. If TJ deserves another year. Griff certainly does too.

Still, its interesting to see trades like that. I would like to see how you would orchestrate a draft day trade involving Taylor and how that affects our draft.
    Are you talking about Jason Taylor or Chester?

If we are talking about Jason Taylor, the Dolphins have said they would not trade him, but if they did show interest I would be all for it...and here is what I would do:

If we don't feel confident in getting a guy like Harvey to develop, I'd try to find somebody in the mid to late 20's that wants to trade up to 17.
    We could trade back to that slot and pick up some more picks, maybe a second and a 4th plus that late first rounder. Let's say the Dolphins won't trade Taylor for anything less than a first rounder, we now have a late first rounder that we could trade for Taylor and have some extra picks.
    Taylor has at least a couple more years in him as a dominant player, so he is worth taking a first round flier on a team that is so close to being a contender.
    Childress haters would hate this trade because it would mean we have a winning record this year and make the playoffs. :P

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Are you talking about Jason Taylor or Chester?

If we are talking about Jason Taylor, the Dolphins have said they would not trade him, but if they did show interest I would be all for it...and here is what I would do:

If we don't feel confident in getting a guy like Harvey to develop, I'd try to find somebody in the mid to late 20's that wants to trade up to 17.
    We could trade back to that slot and pick up some more picks, maybe a second and a 4th plus that late first rounder. Let's say the Dolphins won't trade Taylor for anything less than a first rounder, we now have a late first rounder that we could trade for Taylor and have some extra picks.
    Taylor has at least a couple more years in him as a dominant player, so he is worth taking a first round flier on a team that is so close to being a contender.
    Childress haters would hate this trade because it would mean we have a winning record this year and make the playoffs. :P
    Of Course Jason. You must not know me very well, because I think trading Chester would be the ultimate sin.

So you think all it would take to get Taylor would be a #1? Then basically draft OT with either of our 2 second rounders.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Anyway, getting back to the topic of trading...

What about a scenario where we trade up to the Ravens' pick at #8 if either of the Longs or Clady are available?

Ravens get:

Vikings get:
    Bryant McKinnie

8th overall pick (Ryan Clady)
    Cedric Griffin
    Vike's 2nd rounder
    Conditional 2009 pick

Why it works:

The Ravens fill 2 of their needs with good veteran players and get the second rounder back that they spent in the McGahee trade.
    The conditional pick depends on how long McKinnie's suspension is...assuming he does get suspended.
    Ex: 4 games or less=4th rounder
    5-8 games suspended=3rd rounder
    9 or more=2nd rounder.

The Vikings get rid of two players that have had off the field issues recently, sending a clear message to the team that if they continually screw up, they are gone.
    They also get the best ZB LT prospect in the draft who will improve his game even more playing next to Hutch.

Part 2 of the equation:

Trade up with the Bills (as suggested earlier in thread):

Bills get:

Vikings get:

Vike's 1st rounder

11th overall pick...Derrick Harvey
    Vike's 3rd rounder
    Vike's 5th rounder

Why it works:
    Bills get more picks to fill the many holes in their squad.
    Moving back to 17 makes sense for them since their biggest needs are at CB and WR, and they can get a good one at #17.

Vikings fill their biggest need with a stud LDE, possibly the best in the draft.
    Some say Harvey has a quicker first step than Gholston.

In this scenario the Vikes would lose Mt. Turd, Cedric, and their 3rd and 5th rounders.
    NOTE:
    I do not count the 1st and 2nd rounders as losses as they are replaced by highly valuable draft picks.

The Vikes gain 2 stud first round rookies and still have picks in rounds 3,4,6 (twice), and 7.
    Here are the picks I would like in those spots after making those trades on draft day:

Round 3 (from Denver):

Trade back and pick up a 5th rounder from a team in the latter half of the 3rd round...with the new 3rd rounder the Vikings select...

Antwuan Molden, CB, Eastern Kentucky.

He gives us some tough competition at CB.
    Will compete with McCauley, Gordon, and Sapp for the starting position opposite Winfield.

Round 4:

Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego
    The fastest QB in this year's draft also had a 36:1 TD:INT ration last season.
    He is a natural leader on the field with a strong arm, solid accuracy and nice mechanics.
    The only thing I think he needs to work on is making his spiral a bit tighter, tends to throw some wobbly passes, even though they are on time and accurate.

Round 5:

Frank Okam, DT, Texas

A monster of a man that was once regarded as a first or second round pick.
    If the coaching staff can motivate this guy, he could be a huge steal at this point.

Round 6a:

Bobbie Williams, SS, Bethune-Cookman

Anyone that has seen any of my previous mocks knows how much I love this guy.
    A hard-hitting athlete with decent ball-skills.
    A poor man's Sean Taylor IMO.

Round 6b:

Fernando Velasco, OG/C, Georgia

An athletic big man that can play any position on the interior offensive line.
    Will probably take a year or two to develop into a solid player, but his potential is great.

Round 7:

Thaddeus Coleman, OT, Mississippi Valley State

A raw tackle that plays with a mean streak.
    Worth a shot with a 7th rounder.

To summarize, the Vikings get:
    Ryan Clady
    Derrick Harvey
    Antwuan Molden
    Josh Johnson
    Frank Okam
    Bobbie Williams
    Fernando Velasco
    Thaddeus Coleman

and lose:
    Big Turd
    Cedric Griffin
    A 3rd and 5th round pick (which they get one in that 3rd round trade anyway)

Wow, that took a lot of time!
    Let me know if I missed anything here.
    Thoughts?
    Questions?

Another potential pick in the 3rd round is Reggie Smith, S/CB, Oklahoma.
    After a disappointing 40 time, Smith has seen his stock plummet, so this is a possibility.
    Charles Godfrey and Patrick Lee might be options too.
    I really like what we have to work with this year and hope that the FO makes good use of its resources.
    Gotta agree with V here my friend.
    I love the stuff you think about in your draft scenarios but I wouldn't add Griff into the mix.

I like the Bills scenario the best if we were gonna try to move up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345