Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Re: Could this be the big one?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I have a feeling they will be a bit conservative in FA for one more year and go through this year as an evaluation of the talent they have assembled, hoping that their picks become solid and then next year they will go hard in FA to fill any voids that surface this year in an effort to make a strong playoff push.
    It scares me when we start to think alike.

Problem is, I have myself convinced that a couple of areas are kindof holding the young players back in thier development:

a.
    WR holding TJ back.
    I am sure he would do alot better with a more consitent guy on the outside he knew would catch the gol 'darnit thing.
    ;D
    It would also open things a bit more in 3 WR sets if they had a guy on the outside that could stretch the field teams worried about lining up next to Rice and B-wade.
    They would have to try to shut down the 3 step stuff to Bobby and respect the deep threat opening the middle/intermediate routes to Rice and possibly a TE.
    b.
    DE holding CB's back. I know alot don't agree with me, but I really believe (even though we were 8th last year in sacks) our DE's inability to put pressure on the QB puts alot of pressure on our secondary and especially our young CB's.

If they would just make an investment in those two areas, we would see a bit more consistency/production out of our younger athletes in those skilled positions.
    I fear next year we will be singing the same song. Draft and wait till next year to fill the holes

I would like us to take 1 of 4 players in the first round
    Sweed Kelly Phillips or Gholston.
    In the last 2 years, has the team gotten better in almost every position?

Sure your gonna be able to say we keep saying that, but guess what, if you are gonna start rebuilding a team (basically gutted in 2006) you are gonna have to suck up a couple of bad years as new pieces are added.

Again, in the last 2 years, has teh team gotten better in almost every position?
    I say yes.
    Has it gotten better as fast as the "Win now Crowd" want.
    No.

To effect that you need to use all of your picks (can't trade a bunch away for one player) and spend wisely in the FA market. If you don't you won't be able to keep adding the pieces you need.

You only gave me 3 options by the way, Limas Sweed, Kelly Phillips and Gholston.
    Who is the 4th.

Forget about Gholston.
    He will be gone by 17.
    Phillips maybe but in all likely hood will go to Denver unless they stick with Talib and Sweed as well depending on what the Bills see in him or another WR.
    What I really like isn't just spending on FA to spend on FA, but getting that impact guy.
    That, in my opinion, is what FA is all about.
    You can draft at alot of postions, and bring in guys like AP, but we went out and got Hutch to block for him.
    I don't want to bring in every guy, but I would like to see us compliment our good drafts with a high impact guy that can bring up the team around him and help out those rookies.
    The draft is important but adding the right piece is just as important.

For example, even though the Patriots slipped up at the SB would have they even gotten there had they not signed Randy Moss?

The Draft is important, but we also need to use some of our money and bring in a guy that WE KNOW will help this team and make it better.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I have a feeling they will be a bit conservative in FA for one more year and go through this year as an evaluation of the talent they have assembled, hoping that their picks become solid and then next year they will go hard in FA to fill any voids that surface this year in an effort to make a strong playoff push.

Problem is, I have myself convinced that a couple of areas are kindof holding the young players back in thier development:

a.
    WR holding TJ back.
    I am sure he would do alot better with a more consitent guy on the outside he knew would catch the gol 'darnit thing.

;D
    It would also open things a bit more in 3 WR sets if they had a guy on the outside that could stretch the field teams worried about lining up next to Rice and B-wade.
    They would have to try to shut down the 3 step stuff to Bobby and respect the deep threat opening the middle/intermediate routes to Rice and possibly a TE.
    b.
    DE holding CB's back. I know alot don't agree with me, but I really believe (even though we were 8th last year in sacks) our DE's inability to put pressure on the QB puts alot of pressure on our secondary and especially our young CB's.

If they would just make an investment in those two areas, we would see a bit more consistency/production out of our younger athletes in those skilled positions.
    I fear next year we will be singing the same song. Draft and wait till next year to fill the holes

Sure your gonna be able to say we keep saying that, but guess what, if you are gonna start rebuilding a team (basically gutted in 2006) you are gonna have to suck up a couple of bad years as new pieces are added.

Again, in the last 2 years, has teh team gotten better in almost every position?
    I say yes.
    No.

To effect that you need to use all of your picks (can't trade a bunch away for one player) and spend wisely in the FA market. If you don't you won't be able to keep adding the pieces you need.

You only gave me 3 options by the way, Limas Sweed, Kelly Phillips and Gholston.
    Who is the 4th.

Forget about Gholston.
    He will be gone by 17.
    Phillips maybe but in all likely hood will go to Denver unless they stick with Talib and Sweed as well depending on what the Bills see in him or another WR.
    What I really like isn't just spending on FA to spend on FA, but getting that impact guy.
    You can draft at alot of postions, and bring in guys like AP, but we went out and got Hutch to block for him.
    I don't want to bring in every guy, but I would like to see us compliment our good drafts with a high impact guy that can bring up the team around him and help out those rookies.

For example, even though the Patriots slipped up at the SB would have they even gotten there had they not signed Randy Moss?

The Draft is important, but we also need to use some of our money and bring in a guy that WE KNOW will help this team and make it better.
    I'm with ya all the way.

I guess were I struggle is, who, in the last 2 years (and especially this year) is that guy?

Everyone of the FA's left on the market has some sort of issue with him. Heck even Berrian on the Sirius radio (moving the chains) said he drops way to many passes.

The market is pretty bleak right now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=42719.msg729347#msg729347 date=1204136009]

a.
    WR holding TJ back.
    ;D
    b.

I say yes.
    No.

Who is the 4th.

Forget about Gholston.
    He will be gone by 17.

I'm with ya all the way.

I guess were I struggle is, who, in the last 2 years (and especially this year) is that guy?

Everyone of the FA's left on the market has some sort of issue with him. Heck even Berrian on the Sirius radio (moving the chains) said he drops way to many passes.

[/quote]

I wouldn't mind Samuels, or as a fan who holds no grudges Randy Moss.
    Also the fact that I feel T-Jack is the problem doesn't make we want to go on a spending spree on a WR either I guess.(Other than Moss, just because I have man love for the super freak)

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

[size=13pt]Look for Vikings to be very active when free agency starts[/size]

Produced by J. Pinkley

Fun little video

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

I can't wait its gonna be a good free agency

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=42719.msg729347#msg729347 date=1204136009]

a.
    WR holding TJ back.
    ;D
    b.

I say yes.
    No.

Who is the 4th.

Forget about Gholston.
    He will be gone by 17.

I'm with ya all the way.

[/quote]

Well by now you know my stance. Add some more talent to both lines and then build around them.

Adding a stud WR isn't going to give you much bang for the buck if your QB is flat on his ass before that stud gets 10 yards downfield because the line couldn't block.
    ;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

There is increasing talk in NFL circles suggesting the Vikings are gearing up for a bigger-than-expected splash in the free agent market, which opens Thursday night at 11 p.m. CT.
    I'll believe it when I see it. The same thing was said last year when we had all kinds of money to spend. The Chiller & co. dipped their big toes in the FA pool, waded only up to their knees, made a few ripples, but nary a splash was seen or heard.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:

There is increasing talk in NFL circles suggesting the Vikings are gearing up for a bigger-than-expected splash in the free agent market, which opens Thursday night at 11 p.m. CT.
    I'll believe it when I see it. The same thing was said last year when we had all kinds of money to spend. The Chiller & co. dipped their big toes in the FA pool, waded only up to their knees, made a few ripples, but nary a splash was seen or heard.
    The Packers signed lowly ol Frank Walker and went 13-3... FA doesn't always = Wins...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"pack93z" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

The Packers signed lowly ol Frank Walker and went 13-3... FA doesn't always = Wins...
    The Vikings signed Adrian Peterson & we went 8-8. Draft doesn't always win or pan out.

IMO, when you're a few pieces of the puzzle away from being a contender, you target the guy(s) you need who fit the puzzle in FA. You don't rely on the draft & take the time to mold the player into the piece you need & then stick it in, because by then, players that you had that got you close, might already be gone.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

The Vikings signed Adrian Peterson & we went 8-8. Draft doesn't always win or pan out.

IMO, when you're a few pieces of the puzzle away from being a contender, you target the guy(s) you need who fit the puzzle in FA. You don't rely on the draft & take the time to mold the player into the piece you need & then stick it in, because by then, players that you had that got you close, might already be gone.
    I hear ya, but who is out there that is really gonna put us over the top?

Truth of the matter is, almost all the good players have been franchised.
    There are a couple out there that will be difference makers but do we really need a Asante Samuel or do we need a DE?

I would love to see us be active in the FA market, but I just aint in love with anybody out there.

I was pretty damn hign on Berrian until I heard him admit on "Moving the Chains" that he drops to many balls.
    Hackett can't stay healthy and probably isn't a true number one.
    Randy, love him to death, ain't leaving the Pats and Brady's arm.

Again, I ask who?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast