Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Could this be the big one?

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I have a feeling they will be a bit conservative in FA for one more year and go through this year as an evaluation of the talent they have assembled, hoping that their picks become solid and then next year they will go hard in FA to fill any voids that surface this year in an effort to make a strong playoff push.
    It scares me when we start to think alike.

Problem is, I have myself convinced that a couple of areas are kindof holding the young players back in thier development:

a.
    WR holding TJ back.
    I am sure he would do alot better with a more consitent guy on the outside he knew would catch the gol 'darnit thing.

;D
    It would also open things a bit more in 3 WR sets if they had a guy on the outside that could stretch the field teams worried about lining up next to Rice and B-wade.
    They would have to try to shut down the 3 step stuff to Bobby and respect the deep threat opening the middle/intermediate routes to Rice and possibly a TE.
    b.
    DE holding CB's back. I know alot don't agree with me, but I really believe (even though we were 8th last year in sacks) our DE's inability to put pressure on the QB puts alot of pressure on our secondary and especially our young CB's.

If they would just make an investment in those two areas, we would see a bit more consistency/production out of our younger athletes in those skilled positions.
    Good points Marrdro and they make perfect sense. Wade was the best veteran WR we had and Ferguson was a big disappointment to me in that he didn't seem to help get TJ firing much more. The pressure on the QB was average at best and just a tad shy of putting our pass D much higher up the rankings than it was.

Will be interesting to see if we a) do make a big splash in FA and b) what Free Agents the team considers are worth the money and are what we need to get in FA rather than the Draft.
    Although I agree with you to a point with Ferg, I kindof believe that a QB and WR need to get thier timing done during OTA's/pre-season.

A guy that comes in late spends way to much time learning the scheme and the coaches are busy getting in each weeks game plan to really allow for them to develop that timing that is so critical in this offense.

As the year progressed, TJ got a bit more comfortable with Ferg and I think they started to gel.

Again, I am not a huge fan of his and wouldn't be to upset if he leaves (Stud WR falls to us in the draft), but also believe he would/will be a asset for TJ if he stays and has more time to get in synch.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think unless we get 2 good FA recievers, then Fergy should stay.
    I almost expect us to get 1 FA, So that would leave 1. FA 2. Rice 3. Wade 4. Ferg 5. Allison.
    I would be happy with that.

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I almost expect us to get 1 FA, So that would leave 1. FA 2. Rice 3. Wade 4. Ferg 5. Allison.

I agree, I think that we will be resign Ferguson and sign someone like Berrian/Stallworth/etc.. It seems like the most logical move. But if they don't resign Ferguson, then I think he would be replaced in the draft.

Blog Entries

Also what about 2005, wasn't that the big one??
    P Will, Smoot, Napo, Cowart, Sharper, Travis Taylor,

now Napo and Cowart were trades, but that is still a pretty big splash in the offseason.

The only reason most of those guys aren't around is they don't fit the scheme, or had some problem Chilly didn't like.

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

I agree, I think that we will be resign Ferguson and sign someone like Berrian/Stallworth/etc.. It seems like the most logical move. But if they don't resign Ferguson, then I think he would be replaced in the draft.
    Yea, I don't see them bringing in another FA when they could just resign Ferg.
    If he leaves it will be another Rookie on the roster that fills his position.

Lets not forget, that Ferg has been very open about wanting to come back.
    If (Big If) there is a feeling out there that FA don't want to come here, a guy like Ferg on the roster openly saying it is great to be here is a good thing.

Like it or not (I still see Puke Green and Yellow when I look at him) he is well respected and a damn good blocker/reciever.
    I see value in keeping him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I have a feeling they will be a bit conservative in FA for one more year and go through this year as an evaluation of the talent they have assembled, hoping that their picks become solid and then next year they will go hard in FA to fill any voids that surface this year in an effort to make a strong playoff push.
    I think Ziggy is gonna spend like a bi-polar horndog during a manic phase. Starting with Odom. Ziggy has said he is willing to spend. We'll see if he does. Can't wait 'till thursday, 12:00 am. Ill be up. Hope i'm not dissapointed. Like ziggy spending like Mr. Crabbs. So there you have it, A bipolar in his manic phase shelling out cash like there's no tommorrow or Eugene Crabbs trying to hold on to "ME SHINEY NICKLE!"
    Tuco the world.....

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

Yea, I don't see them bringing in another FA when they could just resign Ferg.
    If he leaves it will be another Rookie on the roster that fills his position.

Lets not forget, that Ferg has been very open about wanting to come back.
    If (Big If) there is a feeling out there that FA don't want to come here, a guy like Ferg on the roster openly saying it is great to be here is a good thing.

Like it or not (I still see Puke Green and Yellow when I look at him) he is well respected and a damn good blocker/reciever.
    I see value in keeping him.
    Value?
    Yes.
    But if the right FA or rookie comes along, I wouldn't shed a tear with his departure.
    He definitely contributed to some extent last season...more than I really thought he would...Which doesn't say much because I really didn't expect him to do squat.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't want to cut him for any rookie.
    Even one we draft in the 1st round.
    Think back to 2005.
    If we had Fergy then, would you want to cut him to make room for Williamson??
    At the time I probably would want to, but looking back, it would be a bad move.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Problem is, I have myself convinced that a couple of areas are kindof holding the young players back in thier development:

a.
    WR holding TJ back.
    I am sure he would do alot better with a more consitent guy on the outside he knew would catch the gol 'darnit thing.

;D
    It would also open things a bit more in 3 WR sets if they had a guy on the outside that could stretch the field teams worried about lining up next to Rice and B-wade.
    They would have to try to shut down the 3 step stuff to Bobby and respect the deep threat opening the middle/intermediate routes to Rice and possibly a TE.
    b.
    DE holding CB's back. I know alot don't agree with me, but I really believe (even though we were 8th last year in sacks) our DE's inability to put pressure on the QB puts alot of pressure on our secondary and especially our young CB's.

If they would just make an investment in those two areas, we would see a bit more consistency/production out of our younger athletes in those skilled positions.
    I fear next year we will be singing the same song. Draft and wait till next year to fill the holes

I would like us to take 1 of 4 players in the first round
    Sweed Kelly Phillips or Gholston.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

a.
    WR holding TJ back.

;D
    b.

I fear next year we will be singing the same song. Draft and wait till next year to fill the holes

I would like us to take 1 of 4 players in the first round
    Sweed Kelly Phillips or Gholston.
    In the last 2 years, has the team gotten better in almost every position?

Sure your gonna be able to say we keep saying that, but guess what, if you are gonna start rebuilding a team (basically gutted in 2006) you are gonna have to suck up a couple of bad years as new pieces are added.

Again, in the last 2 years, has teh team gotten better in almost every position?
    I say yes.
    Has it gotten better as fast as the "Win now Crowd" want.
    No.

To effect that you need to use all of your picks (can't trade a bunch away for one player) and spend wisely in the FA market. If you don't you won't be able to keep adding the pieces you need.

You only gave me 3 options by the way, Limas Sweed, Kelly Phillips and Gholston.
    Who is the 4th.

Forget about Gholston.
    He will be gone by 17.
    Phillips maybe but in all likely hood will go to Denver unless they stick with Talib and Sweed as well depending on what the Bills see in him or another WR.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast