Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Could this be the big one?

[size=13pt]Could this be the big one?[/size]
    February 27th, 2008 – 9:54 AM by Kevin Seifert

There is increasing talk in NFL circles suggesting the Vikings are gearing up for a bigger-than-expected splash in the free agent market, which opens Thursday night at 11 p.m. CT.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Could this be the big one?

Very interesting.

Hey, how about someone who can do math in public figure out how much of the CAP do we need to spend to at least be at 85% spent?

Seems to me that is the league minimum and would give us a starting point or how much they actually have to spend (which I believe is what they did last year).

My guess is that they won't spend it all and probably will go a bit over 85% but again, it would give us an idea of what we are talking about.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"cogitans" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Could this be the big one?[/size]
    February 27th, 2008 – 9:54 AM by Kevin Seifert

There is increasing talk in NFL circles suggesting the Vikings are gearing up for a bigger-than-expected splash in the free agent market, which opens Thursday night at 11 p.m. CT.
    "bigger-than-expected splash in the free agent market"

That wouldn't take much!
    Last year I checked for free agent news as soon as 11 pm rolled around.Awake till about 12:30, but no news.
    No real news the next day either.
    I was a junkie looking for that purple fix!
    When I finally got it I was sure it was cut with something. It cost more than I felt it was worth.
    We'll see if this year is going to bring that great purple rush or put me in withdrawl or rehab.
    Either way it's nice to have some off season football activity looming.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I have a feeling they will be a bit conservative in FA for one more year and go through this year as an evaluation of the talent they have assembled, hoping that their picks become solid and then next year they will go hard in FA to fill any voids that surface this year in an effort to make a strong playoff push.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very interesting.

Hey, how about someone who can do math in public figure out how much of the CAP do we need to spend to at least be at 85% spent?

Seems to me that is the league minimum and would give us a starting point or how much they actually have to spend (which I believe is what they did last year).

My guess is that they won't spend it all and probably will go a bit over 85% but again, it would give us an idea of what we are talking about.

:
    85% of 118 million is 100.3 million.
    PLUS the credits from last year have to be spent.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

TheViking88 is offline Rookie

i for one hope we do make a big splash in FA this year. the one guy who im hoping we get is berrian. it would be awesome to get him wearing purple and gold next year. then, if we also justin smith, i would be even more happy. i just hope we do better in FA then we did last year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I have a feeling they will be a bit conservative in FA for one more year and go through this year as an evaluation of the talent they have assembled, hoping that their picks become solid and then next year they will go hard in FA to fill any voids that surface this year in an effort to make a strong playoff push.
    It scares me when we start to think alike.

Problem is, I have myself convinced that a couple of areas are kindof holding the young players back in thier development:

a.
    WR holding TJ back.
    I am sure he would do alot better with a more consitent guy on the outside he knew would catch the damn thing.
    ;D
    It would also open things a bit more in 3 WR sets if they had a guy on the outside that could stretch the field teams worried about lining up next to Rice and B-wade.
    They would have to try to shut down the 3 step stuff to Bobby and respect the deep threat opening the middle/intermediate routes to Rice and possibly a TE.
    b.
    DE holding CB's back. I know alot don't agree with me, but I really believe (even though we were 8th last year in sacks) our DE's inability to put pressure on the QB puts alot of pressure on our secondary and especially our young CB's.

If they would just make an investment in those two areas, we would see a bit more consistency/production out of our younger athletes in those skilled positions.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Its the big one

[youtube=425,350]RnfflRNpwKA[/youtube]

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

randy mosssssss lol..before somebodys head explodes and they start crying out loud over the forum, i better let everybody know im being sarcastic
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    It scares me when we start to think alike.

Problem is, I have myself convinced that a couple of areas are kindof holding the young players back in thier development:

a.
    WR holding TJ back.
    I am sure he would do alot better with a more consitent guy on the outside he knew would catch the gol 'darnit thing.
    ;D
    It would also open things a bit more in 3 WR sets if they had a guy on the outside that could stretch the field teams worried about lining up next to Rice and B-wade.
    They would have to try to shut down the 3 step stuff to Bobby and respect the deep threat opening the middle/intermediate routes to Rice and possibly a TE.
    b.
    DE holding CB's back. I know alot don't agree with me, but I really believe (even though we were 8th last year in sacks) our DE's inability to put pressure on the QB puts alot of pressure on our secondary and especially our young CB's.

If they would just make an investment in those two areas, we would see a bit more consistency/production out of our younger athletes in those skilled positions.
    Good points Marrdro and they make perfect sense. Wade was the best veteran WR we had and Ferguson was a big disappointment to me in that he didn't seem to help get TJ firing much more. The pressure on the QB was average at best and just a tad shy of putting our pass D much higher up the rankings than it was.

Will be interesting to see if we a) do make a big splash in FA and b) what Free Agents the team considers are worth the money and are what we need to get in FA rather than the Draft.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast