Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Conspiracy theories (how else can you explain signing Rosenfels?)

"singersp" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    Here's a theory, Sage will win the starting job and do well for us, I have faith that he can help this team more than Tjack did. Its a cheap upgrade, look at the marker, 37+ y/o QBs who want 8+ mil a year, I'll pass, and so did the FO. I am not worried about the QB position any more, more worried about protecting him so he can make the pass, I would not mind taking a look at Housh either. I just hope we do a couple more things in FA.
    +1
    LOL! [size=10pt]NOW[/size] you're worried about protection for the QB. What happened to that notion when Jackson was in there?

Oh, I forgot...........Jackson was at fault.

If Sage is the man you think he is, then he should be able to do much better with the same line we have in place now.
    Because it may not BE the same line.
    Birk might not return (it's a possibility) and we have no one to replace him with.
    And when a perrennial all-pro leaves your O-line, it tends to lead to concern about the ability of that line to continue to protect ANY QB.

Caine
    It may not be. But I was referring to our concerns last year when Birk was here. Our $100 million dollar line wasn't giving either of our QB's much time in the pocket as they should have been on passing plays. Where was the concern then?

Several people here, myself excluded, were blaming Birk for a lot of our O-line issues & felt Sullivan or another would only upgrade the position.

I've been harping about our O-Line & lack of depth for 3 years now. Saw this day coming & they haven't prepared a replacement for Birk one iota, except for limited play in a handful of preseason games, nor are they addressing it in Free Agency.
    Yes, and you and I have talked several times about our concerns on the right side of the line.
    Heck, I've blasted McKinnie too for that matter.
    The only one I really like is Hutch.

And season after season we don't get the O-line concerns addressed.

But, as I said, while Birk might be declining, he's better than what we have in place to replace him - so far as we know - so there is an elevated level of concern about protection...regardless of who the starting QB is.

Caine

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Birk could still be back.
    Sounds kind of like we've got an offer on the table.
    Can't blame him for checking out his options...

The longer our C remains a BIG?????
    The more I think they intend to just plug Sullivan (or Herrera) in there and move along...likely with more depth added via the draft.

To me, WR was our biggest need, if not biggest ? so if we get Houshmandzadeh, we're pretty set to go BPA IMHO.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    Here's a theory, Sage will win the starting job and do well for us, I have faith that he can help this team more than Tjack did. Its a cheap upgrade, look at the marker, 37+ y/o QBs who want 8+ mil a year, I'll pass, and so did the FO. I am not worried about the QB position any more, more worried about protecting him so he can make the pass, I would not mind taking a look at Housh either. I just hope we do a couple more things in FA.
    +1
    LOL! [size=10pt]NOW[/size] you're worried about protection for the QB. What happened to that notion when Jackson was in there?

If Sage is the man you think he is, then he should be able to do much better with the same line we have in place now.
    I don't get it... Sage was the best option for those who would prefer Tarvaris remain the starter. We were always going to get someone that could come in and start, and Sage leaves the largest opportunity for Tarvaris to beat him.

The team spent next to nothing on Sage if TJ proves to be better the FO put themselves in the perfect position to make the switch.

Why are you so against Sage coming in and being the presumed starter (because of his contract)? And what better options were there?
    As stupid as it may sound, I actually believe in having a quality veteran QB presence on the roster for young QB's to draw from. Their veteran experience, knowledge & mentoring only help the young QB's get better at what they do & help them with their mistakes.

Sage is not that veteran presence. He hasn't seen enough of it or been great at it yet. We all know Sage doesn't make good decisions & forces the ball, resulting in a high percentage interception ratio.

Is this the guy we want Jackson or Booty learning/drawing from? NO!

Is Jackson the guy we want Sage & Booty learning/drawing from? NO!

Is Booty the guy we want Jackson or Sage learning/drawing from? HELL NO!

So where does that experience & knowledge that a veteran QB brings to the sidelines come from now?

Chilldress talked about the possibility of a 4th QB in camp. I hope for God's sake it is a wiley veteran.

If we have to rely on the **cough** QB guru to mentor these 3 QB's, we are in a heap of trouble.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    +1

I don't get it... Sage was the best option for those who would prefer Tarvaris remain the starter. We were always going to get someone that could come in and start, and Sage leaves the largest opportunity for Tarvaris to beat him.

The team spent next to nothing on Sage if TJ proves to be better the FO put themselves in the perfect position to make the switch.

Why are you so against Sage coming in and being the presumed starter (because of his contract)? And what better options were there?
    As stupid as it may sound, I actually believe in having a quality veteran QB presence on the roster for young QB's to draw from. Their veteran experience, knowledge & mentoring only help the young QB's get better at what they do & help them with their mistakes.

Sage is not that veteran presence. He hasn't seen enough of it or been great at it yet. We all know Sage doesn't make good decisions & forces the ball, resulting in a high percentage interception ratio.

So where does that experience & knowledge that a veteran QB brings to the sidelines come from now?

Chilldress talked about the possibility of a 4th QB in camp. I hope for God's sake it is a wiley veteran.

If we have to rely on the **cough** QB guru to mentor these 3 QB's, we are in a heap of trouble.
    Sage is a veteran and he's seen 8 years worth. He doesn't offer as much insight as BJ or Frerotte but he also has a lot more upside than those 2 did in their last stints with the vikings.

As for "being great at it," guys who have been great have enormous price tags, or were great so long ago they are only good as mentors. I'll ask for the second time, what better options, than Sage, were there?

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Sage is a veteran and he's seen 8 years worth. He doesn't offer as much insight as BJ or Frerotte but he also has a lot more upside than those 2 did in their last stints with the vikings.

As for "being great at it," guys who have been great have enormous price tags, or were great so long ago they are only good as mentors. I'll ask for the second time, what better options, than Sage, were there?
    In those 8 years Sage has only seen less than30 games, some of which were for 1 play only. He's only thrown more than 10 passes in 21 games & started in 12 of them.

That's hardly a veteran presence with vast knowledge & experience. All I'm saying is that with these two on the roster, we still need that veteran presence on the sideline. That QB doesn't have to be of starting caliber next year now.

Never did I feel that we needed a veteran QB to start for us next year. Only one we could rely on if we had to start them & help push our QB's & bring them along.

"singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

In those 8 years Sage has only seen less than30 games, some of which were for 1 play only. He's only thrown more than 10 passes in 21 games & started in 12 of them.

That's hardly a veteran presence with vast knowledge & experience. All I'm saying is that with these two on the roster, we still need that veteran presence on the sideline. That QB doesn't have to be of starting caliber next year.
    That's where me and you differ, we do need another QB that can start this year. If TJ has proven anything it's that you need a very good backup behind him, at the least. He's inconsistent with his play and his health.

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

That's hardly a veteran presence with vast knowledge & experience. All I'm saying is that with these two on the roster, we still need that veteran presence on the sideline. That QB doesn't have to be of starting caliber next year.
    That's where me and you differ, we do need another QB that can start this year. If TJ has proven anything it's that you need a very good backup behind him, at the least. He's inconsistent with his play and his health.
    I just can't agree that Sage is a really good QB at this point. His interceptions & 2-4 record last year speaks for itself.

Hell, the Texans answer to his replacement was Dan Orlovsky.

BTW, before you say he was consistent with his health, did you forget he was put on the IR for 5 games in 2006?

How many games did Jackson miss again? 4?

"singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I just can't agree that Sage is a really good QB at this point. His interceptions & 2-4 record last year speaks for itself.

Hell, the Texans answer to his replacement was Dan Orlovsky.

BTW, before you say he was consistent with his health, did you forget he was put on the IR for 5 games in 2006?

How many games did Jackson miss again? 4?
    I didn't say he was consistent with his health, maybe between the 2 of them they can make it 16 games.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345