singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Competition heats up for nickel CB spot

[size=13pt]Competition heats up for nickel cornerback spot[/size]

Six players are vying for the high-pressure, specialized defensive backfield spot. After two weeks of camp, no clear leader has emerged.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: August 11, 2009 - 11:50 PM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Competition heats up for nickel CB spot

Not a big fan of Sapp yet honestly so I wouldn't mind if someone beat him out....but just like every other spot, may the best man win.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Tad7" wrote:
    Not a big fan of Sapp yet honestly so I wouldn't mind if someone beat him out....but just like every other spot, may the best man win.
    sapp set up our biggest play of the season.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    David Tyree had the biggest play of the decade, and he's still probably gonna get cut.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    David Tyree had the biggest play of the decade, and he's still probably gonna get cut.
    haha... true.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Tad7" wrote:
    I'm not either, I don't like Sapp.
    He just always seems like he has his head up his ass.
    The good thing about him though, that might win him the spot, is his effort, he's trying on every snap, even in practice I never saw him slack off - he's a competitor.

Allen has incredible confidence for a rookie and has shown he has the ability to stick with a much faster (Berrian) and bigger (Rice) WR. If he impresses during the preseason, I expect him to win the job.

McCauley is the forgotten man, people forget that he was a pretty good asset to us during his rookie season, but fell off last year.
    I was very surprised to see him playing time reduced last season in favor of Sapp.
    He can make plays, but unless he has a great preseason, I see him in 3rd place atm, with Allen & Sapp tied @ 1st.

Walker has been decent, but nothing special, as of now his main concern is just making the final cuts.
    Derrick Roberson is a tough one, he could be a special teams asset, he's quick to the ball, didn't really see a glaring weakness in his game.
    Karl Paymah was a special teams asset to Denver, and will need to prove he can be the same for the Vikes if he expects to make the team, as his coverage as so-so at best.
    Percy Harvin regularly made both Walker and Paymah look like they don't belong in the NFL - but that might be more of a compliment to Harvin than a knock on them.
    How they do on special teams will make or break each of their chances to make the squad.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    He just always seems like he has his head up his jiggly butt.
    The good thing about him though, that might win him the spot, is his effort, he's trying on every snap, even in practice I never saw him slack off - he's a competitor.

Allen has incredible confidence for a rookie and has shown he has the ability to stick with a much faster (Berrian) and bigger (Rice) WR. If he impresses during the preseason, I expect him to win the job.

McCauley is the forgotten man, people forget that he was a pretty good asset to us during his rookie season, but fell off last year.
    I was very surprised to see him playing time reduced last season in favor of Sapp.
    He can make plays, but unless he has a great preseason, I see him in 3rd place atm, with Allen & Sapp tied @ 1st.

Walker has been decent, but nothing special, as of now his main concern is just making the final cuts.
    Derrick Roberson is a tough one, he could be a special teams asset, he's quick to the ball, didn't really see a glaring weakness in his game.
    Karl Paymah was a special teams asset to Denver, and will need to prove he can be the same for the Vikes if he expects to make the team, as his coverage as so-so at best.
    Percy Harvin regularly made both Walker and Paymah look like they don't belong in the NFL - but that might be more of a compliment to Harvin than a knock on them.
    How they do on special teams will make or break each of their chances to make the squad.
    Nice write up there VK.
    Allen seems like a gamer, but so did McCauley his rookie season.
    I wonder to what his drop off is attributed.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    He just always seems like he has his head up his jiggly butt.

Good info VK.

good to hear about Asher.
    I would love to see this guy step up and be our nickel back, at least some point in the season.

I'm not a fan of Sapp either.
    Maybe as a dime back or depth, but penciling him in as the nickel makes me nervous.

On McCauley,
    I think the author has it right in that he doesn't play inside well which forces us to put AW on the inside in nickel packages.
    McCauley may be our 3rd best outside corner, but that puts him in a bad spot in terms of playing time and making the team.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I have to go with Asher but I feel nervous with a rookie taking the spot. Most know that I love physical corners. Allen fits that bill from what I have heard.

Woods said it helps Allen that the defensive scheme he played in at Georgia has similarities to the Vikings' system.
    Interesting.