Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Which collegiate player is over-hyped?

I think Gaines Adams seems to be overhyped. He comes right out of the Mario Williams mold for speedy DE's who perform well at the combine.

How do ya like them apples?!

"Creep" wrote:
    "MAY BE"
    is maybe..Uhh,...BE CAREFULL...Might Be...Could Be...(any of this ringing any bells???C'mon, Sparky,...any bells and buzzers goin' off???)

If ya want to have an intelligent post,..THINK before ya write..What's so tough about this???? I was following along with the other posts..Yeah, he could go to the HOF on day..Like QB's that were picked lower than he will be...He can also be a BUST,...like Gino,...and other BAD draft choices we had...........Like Aretha said..."THINK"..(Blues Brother ref.."
    Quote:
    Ya know, I wouldn't mind getting Quinn, but still,...Does anybody remember Gino Torretta???
    End Quote

Quote:
    Think before ya write
    End Quote

I interpret the first quote to mean: Quinn is ok, but Torretta busted, so Quinn could bust, too!

The second quote means posters have to think before they reply to your hedging of your position (Quinn seems like he will be good, but he could be bad, too!).

Gino Torretta was a (bust) 4th(or later?) round pick by the Vikings, which carries much less risk to the Vikings than a bad 1st round pick.
    Further, Torretta's drop was a result of teams not seeing much value in him.
    Quinn's resume has been picked apart by critics, yet he still remains in the top 10 of most draft experts' boards.

Since Torretta was a >4th round pick, all 30(then?) NFL teams had little expectation of him being a good, starting NFL QB.
    So it's no wonder he busted.
    The Vikings wasted a pick, but it was only a 4th rd pick, not a top 10 pick.
    There will be a LOT more thought going into the 7th pick selection this year as compared to the thought going into the 4th round pick this year.

Sincerley,

Sparky Poindexter
    ;D
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

I think JaMarcus Russel is over-hyped. Not saying he won't be good, but I don't think he's worthy of being the top pick or even the first QB picked.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"tjohnson" wrote:
    I think Gaines Adams seems to be overhyped. He comes right out of the Mario Williams mold for speedy DE's who perform well at the combine.
    Mario Williams is also 6'7 and 300 pounds, it's difficult to compare the two just because Williams is so much more of a physical freak because of his size.

And I'm not sure if you're saying Williams is a bust or not, but I don't think he can be judged yet, IMO he's going to be a great player.

Let me add; hype is ok, if done in moderation.

In the inital post, I wasn't asking for projections of 'busts'.

I was seeking some stories or accounts of agents inflating a player with unreasonable claims....

e.g. "Forget about the automobile, telephone, airplane, and the personal computer; Joe Schmoe is THE best thing since sliced bread!
    Bet your house on him being an incredible NFL player, a Pro Bowler and an NFL Hall of Famer!
    He is a physical freak, and a rival to Einstein as regards his mental abilities!
    Last week, he nearly cured cancer in his biology lab, and later in the same day, the Campus Police were looking to arrest him for breaking several laws of Physics on the practice field!"

Hyping a player who will succeed is ok, if done in moderation.
    The above example is not ok, even if the player ends up being the number one pick and plays well.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Creep is offline Pro-Bowler

Yeah, Sparky,...You're looking at everything after the fact. Real good....

No buzzersa and bells yet,huh?????
    *FIGHTING FOR PEACE, IS LIKE FUCKING FOR CELIBACY.*

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I knew this would turn into a Brady Quinn bashing. Oh well, you guys will see in a few years when he is a stud **VKG4LFE keeps fingers crossed he will not be eating crow**

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

davike is offline Team Alumni

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I knew this would turn into a Brady Quinn bashing. Oh well, you guys will see in a few years when he is a stud **VKG4LFE keeps fingers crossed he will not be eating crow**
    He may or he may not be.....we will have to see, but right now we have our franchise QB. There will be other stud QBs in the draft in later years if Jackson turns out to be a bust. But I really like Jackson and hopes he turns out to be our man.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

PacMan21 is offline Starter

I think that JaMarcus Russell is a little over-hyped based on that half of NFL fans didn't know who he even was until the bowl game vs. Notre Dame. And I'm also not saying that he's not going to be great, but I just wouldn't take him #1.

And I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this, but here it goes...

I think LaRon Landry (or any safety for that matter) is not worth a top 5-10 pick in the draft.

The top safety's in the NFL are (arguably): Troy Palamalu, Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins, and Bob Sanders. None of them were chosen before pick # 16. Can LaRon Landry be better than them? Possibly, but I don't think that he's better than Ed Reed coming out of college, and so therefore I think that he's a little over-hyped. Personally, I don't think he's even the best all-around safety in this draft. To me, Michael Griffin, is better in coverage, and can also stop the run very well.

I would like for him (Landry) to be in a Vikings uniform, but I won't change my mind that he's a bit of a reach at # 7.

You may not know it, but I am a huge LSU fan, and it's hard for me to say these things, but I honestly think it's the truth.

Thanks for the sig PurplePeopleEaters

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Matt Grothe and Aprile Pazzo... ;D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast