Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

Coles/Pennington

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-12-31-27535566_x.htm
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spcoles235512608dec23,0,6196096.story
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/22/sports/football/22jets.html?ref=football

It sounds like Pennington is pretty close to done with the Jets. He is due a lot of money next season, and a big bonus this offseason, and with Kellen Clemens the appointed starter, the Jets may have no choice but to either deal him in a trade or cut him. Recently, their GM said Pennington would be around next year, but I think if they got good value for him, they would not think twice about sending him somewhere else.

Also, Laveranues Coles apparently hasn't been getting along too well with Mangini, and has been complaining about his contract this year. He has been injured lately, and he is also getting a bit older, so it is unlikely that the Jets would break the bank on him. But he is only 30, and is still a very productive receiver. He could easily have another 5-7 years left in him.

Another interesting piece of information is that Coles and Pennington are very good friends, and I think if one player was dealt, the other would not mind following. Seeing as WR and a veteran QB are our two biggest needs on offense, I think it would be an interesting idea to see if we could swing a trade for them. I think our offense would be very solid with their addition, and we could also draft a WR in the later rounds to learn from Coles until he retires.

I think our first round pick would be a fair price for their services. Chris Chambers was traded during the season for a second, and Coles is a much better receiver than him. Also, veteran QBs are hard to come by lately, so Pennington's value can't be ignored either. From various Jets forums, the going value for Coles seems to be a low 1st or high second round pick, so I think the 17th pick for both of them would seem fair. What do you guys think?

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Coles/Pennington

no thanks too injury prone

Thanks josdin00

MindFreak is offline Starter

Coles next to Rice sounds pretty good, but not at the expense of our 1st rounder. Maybe he'll be enough of a malcontent and get a July 1 cut and we can pick him up then for hardly anything at all
    You can't be let down if you don't expect the world

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"MindFreak" wrote:
    Coles next to Rice sounds pretty good, but not at the expense of our 1st rounder. Maybe he'll be enough of a malcontent and get a July 1 cut and we can pick him up then for hardly anything at all
    Thats the spiri, Coles or Stallworth for 08!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"aaeyers" wrote:
    I think our first round pick would be a fair price for their services. Chris Chambers was traded during the season for a second, and Coles is a much better receiver than him.
    On what basis do you say that Lav Coles is "much better" than Chris Chambers?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    I think our first round pick would be a fair price for their services. Chris Chambers was traded during the season for a second, and Coles is a much better receiver than him.
    On what basis do you say that Lav Coles is "much better" than Chris Chambers?

=Z=
    Looking back, I will admit that was not an objective claim. However I do believe Coles is a better receiver than Chambers. Other than his one monster year in 2005 when he has 1100 yards, Chambers has never had over a thousand yards receiving in a year, while Coles has had 3 (2 of which were over 1200 yards.)

I have always thought of Coles as a true number one receiver for his team, whether it was the Jets of Redskins, while I have always thought of Chambers as a number 2 with the potential to play number one. I really have no basis to say Coles is much better than Chambers.

However I do believe that the Jets would not part as willingly with Coles as the Dolphins were with Chambers. What I meant by saying that Coles is better, is that he will be slightly more expensive on the trade market than Chambers was. Though I do still personally believe that he is a better player than Chambers.

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

I would love to have coles, but not pennington, i just don't think pennington is a good QB, he could come here as a backup...but i don't want to see that guy starting unless TJack is injured (assuming Tjack is starting next year) Coles, however, would be great, i don't think id wanna give up our number 1 pick for him, but maybe our 2nd, or a steal with a 3rd :P. Coles would be a good fit...he's obvisouly not a young guy anymore, but he'd really work out while we're preparing some young guys to step up. Even though id like Coles, i don't think it will happen, doesn't seem likely or a chilly move to me.

"KrackerJack" wrote:
    I would love to have coles, but not pennington, i just don't think pennington is a good QB, he could come here as a backup...but i don't want to see that guy starting unless TJack is injured (assuming Tjack is starting next year) Coles, however, would be great, i don't think id wanna give up our number 1 pick for him, but maybe our 2nd, or a steal with a 3rd :P. Coles would be a good fit...he's obvisouly not a young guy anymore, but he'd really work out while we're preparing some young guys to step up. Even though id like Coles, i don't think it will happen, doesn't seem likely or a chilly move to me.
    I agree, Pennington would only be brought in as a backup. I don't think there is any question that Jackson will be the starter at the beginning of the 08 season. I also agree that I don't think Pennington is a starting caliber QB anymore, but he would be a perfect backup, and would be able to mentor Jackson.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "KrackerJack" wrote:
    I agree, Pennington would only be brought in as a backup. I don't think there is any question that Jackson will be the starter at the beginning of the 08 season. I also agree that I don't think Pennington is a starting caliber QB anymore, but he would be a perfect backup, and would be able to mentor Jackson.
    you cant honestly believe that pennington wouldnt beat out jackson by a large margin..i want to see the vikings at least try to win in 2008, which means if pennington is here, theres no question as to who i want starting at QB
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Interesting articles.
    I didn't realize those two guys were so close.

I'd like to pick up Coles if he were available.
    I don't know about him being better than Chambers.
    Here are the stats:

Coles - 4.6 rec/game - 12.9 yards/rec - 59.9 yards/game - 37 TDs
    Chambers - 4.0 rec/game - 14.2 yards/rec - 56.8 yards/game - 47 TDs

The stats aren't too far apart, and when you consider that Chambers has been playing with terrible QBs in Miami for his entire career, he's a year younger, and he doesn't have injury concerns, I think Chambers is the more valuable trade commodity.

But even if he's not much better than Chambers, I still think he's a legitimate #1 WR when healthy.
    At least he is a much better WR than anybody on our roster right now.

But I don't think he's really 'available.'
    He's got 2 years left on a pretty reasonable contract for a team that will have about $27 million of cap space come free agency.
    If it took a first or second round pick to get him, I just don't think it's worth it for a guy his age.
    Draft picks, especially first day picks, are more important to building a team.

I've talked about Pennington before.
    I wouldn't want him unless he were really cheap, and I wouldn't sacrifice any draft picks to get him.
    I don't think Childress has any interest in a guy that can't make most of the throws anymore
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast