Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Childress to visit with Wilf today...

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "magicci" wrote:
    If he comes will we be a west coast offense?
    I really doubt it. The players we have now would not fit in a west coast style offense. We need to have a big play grind it out running offense with a good o-line and 1000 yard rusher.
    I think whoever comes in as our new HC is going to mold this team into whatever he envisions his team to be. Whether its a "west coast" style offense or not, the Vikings of the future will not resemble the present Vikings. Many on the current roster will be gone, many others will come in.
    Even babies know the difference.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "magicci" wrote:
    If he comes will we be a west coast offense?
    I really doubt it. The players we have now would not fit in a west coast style offense. We need to have a big play grind it out running offense with a good o-line and 1000 yard rusher.
    I think whoever comes in as our new HC is going to mold this team into whatever he envisions his team to be. Whether its a "west coast" style offense or not, the Vikings of the future will not resemble the present Vikings. Many on the current roster will be gone, many others will come in.
    Yeah thats true. Maybe culpepper will be more of a WC Qb after coming back from the injury..

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

why lose the current roster we have a great roster? This is what i was afraid would happen if we got a new coach. It's been years since we didnt complain about the roster a lot. In years past we have been complaining about the roster not being good enough and finally when he have a favorable roster a coach might clean em out.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"magicci" wrote:
    why lose the current roster we have a great roster? This is what i was afraid would happen if we got a new coach. It's been years since we didnt complain about the roster a lot. In years past we have been complaining about the roster not being good enough and finally when he have a favorable roster a coach might clean em out.
    You can't really clean people out when they are under contract. You would have to cut or trade them which I can't really see with people who don't deserve this. Plus Zygi has to OK these moves and if some idiot coach wants to clean out the roster then I don't think Zygi would be too happy. Whatever coach we get will have to work with most of the players that we already have and maybe a few new FA's.

"DogPound" wrote:
    I guess our next GM canidate is Smith from the Broncos...He has the same background as Heckert and Denver has done pretty well since he came along So I think it would be a good fit.
    Yeah, Adam Schefter (an NFL journalist based in Denver) said on NFL network that Smith is gonna be coming in for an interview now that Heckert is out.

Some info on Rick Smith:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=640

Another note from an ABC.com article:

Whoever is hired as the personnel chief likely won't have traditional general manager-type powers, but will preside over the scouting department and work in conjunction with Brzezinski in the committee arrangement Wilf prefers.
    Even babies know the difference.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"mnjamie" wrote:
    Ohhh ya ... Childress is our MAN !!! Hell ya and bring Jimmy Johnson along with him !!!!

Sux that we couldn't complete the Trifecta with Heckert though ...
    It would rock if we got Jimmy Johnson, I think he'd be a gread HC.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

what abput savage as our GM? I know that idea was beign thrown around here earlier... are we going after him?

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

The way Wilf moves, we'll have someone soon.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Rick Smith has a very impressive resume from what I gathered from the article that was linked on page 1, I would not mind if he was the new GM. He seems to be a very intelligent man and has a good track record with FA pickups. I would rather see Studwell remain as the head of the scouting dept, and have Smith making the final call on trades and FA.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Wed, Jan. 04, 2006

[size=18px]Eagles aide, Vikings click[/size]

[size=18px]Childress impresses as Tice replacement[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN and DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

After extensive meetings the past two days with Vikings ownership, Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress has emerged as a top candidate to replace Mike Tice as head coach.

Childress came away impressed from his time with owner Zygi Wilf and team President Mark Wilf.

"We had a good visit, and we had some good talks," Childress said by phone Tuesday. "My impression is that they are quality people, and I'll leave it that."

Childress was the first head-coaching candidate interviewed by the Wilfs. Vikings ownership also met with Kansas City Chiefs assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Al Saunders on Tuesday evening, and is scheduled to meet with Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell this morning. Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell also is expected to interview as soon as Thursday.

Childress, who was seriously considered for the Cleveland Browns' job last year, impressed Zygi Wilf with his record of success. Although he does not call plays — a duty handled by head coach Andy Reid — Childress is credited with the progression of Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb and the Eagles' ball control.

Childress also is being pursued by the Green Bay Packers, who are expected to interview him today. He will possibly meet with the Houston Texans, who also are seeking a head coach, later this week.
    Asked if he expected to become the Vikings' coach, Childress said, "Time will tell. I'm not clairvoyant. We will see."

Childress has some connections to current Vikings staff. He was offensive coordinator at Wisconsin during free-agent running back Michael Bennett's redshirt season (1998), and started his coaching career at Illinois in 1978. Scott Studwell, currently the Vikings director of college scouting, was wrapping up his collegiate career with the Illini then.

Saunders met with Wilf on Tuesday night and was expected to depart around lunchtime today. He is expected to meet Thursday with the Texans. The Detroit Lions also are expected to interview Saunders.

Although the Colts are in the playoffs, Caldwell can interview this week because his team has a bye. Respected as Pro Bowl quarterback Peyton Manning's coach, Caldwell served as interim coach when Tony Dungy left the team after his son's suicide last month.

Iowa's Kirk Ferentz also is reportedly a candidate for the Vikings' job. Former Vikings and current Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, who is interviewing with the Texans today, also could emerge in Minnesota.

The Vikings will interview Cottrell today. He was endorsed as a candidate Monday by several Vikings players and is scheduled for a 9 a.m. interview.
    "I've got to go in and present myself to ownership," Cottrell said by phone. "I know they know quite a bit about me, but I have to go in like they don't know me. I'm not assuming anything."

One coaching candidate the Vikings reportedly were interested in, Gregg Williams, instead re-signed with the Washington Redskins for three years at about $8 million. That contracts makes Williams the highest-paid NFL assistant coach by about $500,000.

Williams will make more than the current going rate for first-time NFL head coaches. The Browns gave head coach Romeo Crennel a five-year, $10 million deal last year.

Except for Ferentz, the remaining candidates for the Vikings' job could be in line for a comparable deal. Even though Saunders was a head coach three seasons with the Chargers, he had an unspectacular run in San Diego.

The Vikings appear to have put their personnel director job on hold after Tom Heckert re-signed to be the general manager of the Eagles.

In other news, Vikings offensive coordinator Steve Loney is expected to be a candidate for the vacant offensive line coach opening with the Arizona Cardinals. Once the Vikings grant the Cardinals permission, Loney is expected to interview.

Briefly: The Vikings have the 17th pick in April's NFL draft.

• Punter Chris Kluwe will undergo surgery on his right knee at the end of January.

• The Vikings are expected to sign some players to contracts this week. Those players will be added to the Vikings' roster in February.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast