Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Can you say smoke screen?

I believe they have discounted getting Ryann or Brohm (they will go to high) and figure that they are targeting 6 QB's that can run thier WCO. One of the 3 slated to go in the 2nd round could slip into the 3rd round or will fall low enough into the 2nd were they might move up to get them.

If not they will settle on Johnson or Ainge in the 3rd or O'connell a bit later.

Flacco (2nd Round)
    Booty (2nd Round)
    Henne (2nd Round)
    Johnson (3rd Round)
    Ainge (3rd Round)
    Oconnell (5th Round)

Suffice it to say, one of these cats will be a Viking next year.
    By the way, I ranked them in the order I like them but I think they will all develop into the type of QB we need.
    Some will just take a bit more time than the others.

;D
    Marr he better take someone high or you are going to have to bash him for the samethings you bashed Denny and Tice for....leaking your gameplan. Why even mention that. You're only help the people drafting behind you in the 1st round!
    First I've never bashed Denny for anything except trying to take on more than a HC should do.
    I actually used to like to listen to that cat talk.
    Denny speak was fun.
    ;D

I don't think I will have to bash him for anything as Spielman will be running the draft.
    ;D JK.

He's told them nothing other than what most of us already know.
    What is still out there for the other teams to figure out is who are they targeting behind the top 2, what/were do they fall on thier value board, and will they move up or wait to take the guy.

What also isn't out there is if plan A falls through, who is plan B, were do they rate him and were/what will they do to get that guy.

Again, he's told them nothing that Spielman is gonna do.
    In fact, we have somewhat of a contridiction here when you really think about it. By brining in one of the top 2 guys for a workout the front office has in fact muddied the waters a bit don't ya think?

Bash them indeed.
    They should be applauded for how things are going.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

How did Brennan hurt himself?

I'd be alright with a later round pick on him....

And he did not do well in that bowl game, but he was being raped because his line SUCKED and couldn't protect him... NO QB I can think of would have been able to do anything in that situation...

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Smokescreen?
    Or stating the obvious?

"C" wrote:
    DENNIS DIXON in the 5th or 6th round....
    I'd be pretty happy with that.
    It would seem to fit with the team's 'plan' to let anybody they bring in now develop while Tarvaris has his chance.
    I don't think the knee injury would be a huge concern because of that, and certainly helps in terms of dropping him down the board where he would be a low-risk proposition.

I like his college numbers and size (link), which is pretty much what I'm basing my opinion on.
    What's his arm strength like - can he make all the throws?
    And is Oregon still considered a bad place to go for NFL QBs?
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:

I believe they have discounted getting Ryann or Brohm (they will go to high) and figure that they are targeting 6 QB's that can run thier WCO. One of the 3 slated to go in the 2nd round could slip into the 3rd round or will fall low enough into the 2nd were they might move up to get them.

If not they will settle on Johnson or Ainge in the 3rd or O'connell a bit later.

Flacco (2nd Round)
    Booty (2nd Round)
    Henne (2nd Round)
    Johnson (3rd Round)
    Ainge (3rd Round)
    Oconnell (5th Round)

By the way, I ranked them in the order I like them but I think they will all develop into the type of QB we need.

;D

I don't think Flacco would be a good fit for a WCO. He is a big, strong armed QB who would be best fit in a vertical Offense,

Henne and Booty are the guys I like best. Henne is IMO a future star in the NFL. Booty would be a good fit for a WCO, he is most accurate in the short to mid range throws. His deep passes are less than pretty. The other guys I know little about. I don't like what I see in Ainge.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    How did Brennan hurt himself?

I'd be alright with a later round pick on him....

And he did not do well in that bowl game, but he was being raped because his line SUCKED and couldn't protect him... NO QB I can think of would have been able to do anything in that situation...
    I read on PFT that Brennan got hurt during the first practice at the Senior Bowl.
    He tried to play through it that week.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Flacco (2nd Round)
    Booty (2nd Round)
    Henne (2nd Round)
    Johnson (3rd Round)
    Ainge (3rd Round)
    Oconnell (5th Round)

;D

I don't think Flacco would be a good fit for a WCO. He is a big, strong armed QB who would be best fit in a vertical Offense,

Henne and Booty are the guys I like best. Henne is IMO a future star in the NFL. Booty would be a good fit for a WCO, he is most accurate in the short to mid range throws. His deep passes are less than pretty. The other guys I know little about. I don't like what I see in Ainge.
    I hear ya about his arm and he is best suited for a vertical game, but I think that if you look at his accuracy and his ability to make all the throws coupled together with a his mobility he can run a WCO.

Here is a good link that describes why I like FLacco in a WCO.
    In short, I wouldn't limit his abilities to just a vertical game because he can make the deep throw all the time.

http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=723436
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

"Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=vikingivan link=topic=43785.msg752723#msg752723 date=1207226506]
    If Colt Brennan is on the board in the 5th round I think the Vikes should take him.

It is too bad the Vikings were unsuccessful in obtaining Rosenfels.
    I wonder if Houston would have taken a 3rd rounder and TWill.
    That would seem to have made more sense than trading Williamson to the Jags for a 6th rounder.
    Brooks Bollinger is an HOFer compared to Colt Brennan.
    When someone makes a statement like that, I really must question their football knowledge.
    Hmmmm, someone like Brennan that has the cinderellas story and chokes under pressure against real competition at the collegiate level.
    Someone that hasn't taken a snap in the NFL.
    It is all speculation, yes.
    Dig up this thread in a few years and prove me wrong.
    My guess is he will do nothing in the NFL.
    You think he will.
    Nobody wins until it plays out.

Run along and be an expert now.
    I never claimed to be an expert.
    Brennan might never do anything in the NFL.
    He might be a total bust like Brooks Bollinger.
    But to say that a kid that has never taken a snap in the NFL is not as good as a never has been like Bollinger, that is absurd.
    Brennan will be drafted in the later rounds.
    I just think he is worth the risk of a late round pick.

As far as Bollinger is concerned it is about time Childress quits carrying him.
    If he cannot beat out Frerotte there is no reason to keep him on the roster.
    The 3rd string qb should be a young qb that can learn and develop.
    We had him last year, and lost Thigpen to the Chiefs.
    That was a poor decision by Childress to risk him on the waiver wire.
    I agree Bollinger is wasted space.

Absurd?
    A punk kid that played for a team that had an inflated record due to their schedule that has never played a down in the NFL is somehow better than someone that has existed in the NFL system for years?
    Maybe that will be true in the future, but, as of this minute Bollinger is better.
    He has done more with his career.
    If you truly care enough you could look at their stats in college and then adjust them for the competition that they had and then you might be able to make a somewhat palatable comparison.
    At this point Colt is a wannabe NFL QB that has taken 0 snaps and Bollinger is a marginal backup QB in the NFL.
    Bollinger wins.
    [/quote]

Sorry Prophet (I respect your knowledge and your opinions) but I'm gonna have to call you on this statement. Calling Colt a punk is totaly absurd. I live in Hawaii and have seen how he has embraced a different culture and given back to the community. Yes Colt has got into some trouble before. He was guilty of a panty raid. Come on now. A nineteen year old going on a panty raid (you can't tell me that this is a big mark against him).
    He may not be the next Montana, but you can't just write him off. At Hawaii's pro day; Colt made all the throws (that a NFL QB is supposed to make), was very accurate, and weighed in at 218lbs.
    The whole Georgia game was a lack of coaching, and the fact that Hawaii's OL got completely owned from the first snap. If you watched the game, Georgia's DEs were in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. Hell it even looked like they either were either off sides or knew the snap count. Colt got either sacked or knocked down 45 times! Anyone that takes that kind of beating would be a bit down. The second stringer (Graunke) did better because Georgia took out their first stringers and didn't prepare for him. As you see in the NFL, if a team doesn't prepare for a QB, he seems to do well.
    Please don't think that I am defending Colt because I am a Warrior fan. I only wanted to point out that your assessment of his character is way off. If you ever get to meet and talk to Colt, you will be very impressed. He is very polite, sincere,
    and will take the time to talk with you about anything (not just football).
    Sorry for the long post and rant. Like I said earlier Prophet. I have nothing against you. You are a respected poster and very knowledgeable. It's just that I have had first had experience talking and seeing all that Colt has given back to this community, and I just wanted to stand up for the guy.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i think theyl take one early on Day 2..gus wont be around more than 2-3 more years, so im assuming they take a guy in round 4 or 5 and develop him into jacksons backup, or if he ends up being better, the eventual starter
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"grpape" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=43785.msg752726#msg752726 date=1207226648]
    [quote author=vikingivan link=topic=43785.msg752723#msg752723 date=1207226506]
    If Colt Brennan is on the board in the 5th round I think the Vikes should take him.

It is too bad the Vikings were unsuccessful in obtaining Rosenfels.
    I wonder if Houston would have taken a 3rd rounder and TWill.
    That would seem to have made more sense than trading Williamson to the Jags for a 6th rounder.
    Brooks Bollinger is an HOFer compared to Colt Brennan.
    When someone makes a statement like that, I really must question their football knowledge.
    Hmmmm, someone like Brennan that has the cinderellas story and chokes under pressure against real competition at the collegiate level.
    Someone that hasn't taken a snap in the NFL.
    It is all speculation, yes.
    Dig up this thread in a few years and prove me wrong.
    My guess is he will do nothing in the NFL.
    You think he will.
    Nobody wins until it plays out.

Run along and be an expert now.
    I never claimed to be an expert.
    Brennan might never do anything in the NFL.
    He might be a total bust like Brooks Bollinger.
    But to say that a kid that has never taken a snap in the NFL is not as good as a never has been like Bollinger, that is absurd.
    Brennan will be drafted in the later rounds.
    I just think he is worth the risk of a late round pick.

As far as Bollinger is concerned it is about time Childress quits carrying him.
    If he cannot beat out Frerotte there is no reason to keep him on the roster.
    The 3rd string qb should be a young qb that can learn and develop.
    We had him last year, and lost Thigpen to the Chiefs.
    That was a poor decision by Childress to risk him on the waiver wire.
    I agree Bollinger is wasted space.

Absurd?
    A punk kid that played for a team that had an inflated record due to their schedule that has never played a down in the NFL is somehow better than someone that has existed in the NFL system for years?
    Maybe that will be true in the future, but, as of this minute Bollinger is better.
    He has done more with his career.
    If you truly care enough you could look at their stats in college and then adjust them for the competition that they had and then you might be able to make a somewhat palatable comparison.
    At this point Colt is a wannabe NFL QB that has taken 0 snaps and Bollinger is a marginal backup QB in the NFL.
    Bollinger wins.
    [/quote]

Sorry Prophet (I respect your knowledge and your opinions) but I'm gonna have to call you on this statement. Calling Colt a punk is totaly absurd. I live in Hawaii and have seen how he has embraced a different culture and given back to the community. Yes Colt has got into some trouble before. He was guilty of a panty raid. Come on now. A nineteen year old going on a panty raid (you can't tell me that this is a big mark against him).
    He may not be the next Montana, but you can't just write him off. At Hawaii's pro day; Colt made all the throws (that a NFL QB is supposed to make), was very accurate, and weighed in at 218lbs.
    The whole Georgia game was a lack of coaching, and the fact that Hawaii's OL got completely owned from the first snap. If you watched the game, Georgia's DEs were in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. Hell it even looked like they either were either off sides or knew the snap count. Colt got either sacked or knocked down 45 times! Anyone that takes that kind of beating would be a bit down. The second stringer (Graunke) did better because Georgia took out their first stringers and didn't prepare for him. As you see in the NFL, if a team doesn't prepare for a QB, he seems to do well.
    Please don't think that I am defending Colt because I am a Warrior fan. I only wanted to point out that your assessment of his character is way off. If you ever get to meet and talk to Colt, you will be very impressed. He is very polite, sincere,
    and will take the time to talk with you about anything (not just football).
    Sorry for the long post and rant. Like I said earlier Prophet. I have nothing against you. You are a respected poster and very knowledgeable. It's just that I have had first had experience talking and seeing all that Colt has given back to this community, and I just wanted to stand up for the guy.

[/quote]

I didn't say anything about his character, just mentioned his cinderalla story.
    I simply said I doubt he will be successful in the NFL and at this point of his career he is a huge question mark.
    He played poorly against good competition in the national spotlight regardless of the reasons.
    He obviously has some talent, I'm just saying I don't think it will translate into an NFL-caliber talent.
    It's all a guessing game as this point and you're more than welcome to pull this thread up if he makes it and does well.
    I don't see it happening.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast