Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=43785.msg752726#msg752726 date=1207226648]
    [quote author=vikingivan link=topic=43785.msg752723#msg752723 date=1207226506]
    If Colt Brennan is on the board in the 5th round I think the Vikes should take him.

It is too bad the Vikings were unsuccessful in obtaining Rosenfels.
    I wonder if Houston would have taken a 3rd rounder and TWill.
    That would seem to have made more sense than trading Williamson to the Jags for a 6th rounder.
    Brooks Bollinger is an HOFer compared to Colt Brennan.
    When someone makes a statement like that, I really must question their football knowledge.
    Hmmmm, someone like Brennan that has the cinderellas story and chokes under pressure against real competition at the collegiate level.
    Someone that hasn't taken a snap in the NFL.
    It is all speculation, yes.
    Dig up this thread in a few years and prove me wrong.
    My guess is he will do nothing in the NFL.
    You think he will.
    Nobody wins until it plays out.

Run along and be an expert now.
    I never claimed to be an expert.
    Brennan might never do anything in the NFL.
    He might be a total bust like Brooks Bollinger.
    But to say that a kid that has never taken a snap in the NFL is not as good as a never has been like Bollinger, that is absurd.
    Brennan will be drafted in the later rounds.
    I just think he is worth the risk of a late round pick.

As far as Bollinger is concerned it is about time Childress quits carrying him.
    If he cannot beat out Frerotte there is no reason to keep him on the roster.
    The 3rd string qb should be a young qb that can learn and develop.
    We had him last year, and lost Thigpen to the Chiefs.
    That was a poor decision by Childress to risk him on the waiver wire.
    I agree Bollinger is wasted space.

Absurd?
    A punk kid that played for a team that had an inflated record due to their schedule that has never played a down in the NFL is somehow better than someone that has existed in the NFL system for years?
    Maybe that will be true in the future, but, as of this minute Bollinger is better.
    He has done more with his career.
    If you truly care enough you could look at their stats in college and then adjust them for the competition that they had and then you might be able to make a somewhat palatable comparison.
    At this point Colt is a wannabe NFL QB that has taken 0 snaps and Bollinger is a marginal backup QB in the NFL.
    Bollinger wins.
    [/quote]

You would rather keep a marginal backup qb on your roster than take a chance on a kid with a late round pick.
    Is that correct?
    That is your opinion, I disagree with it.
    Who cares?
    I wonder how many super bowls the Patriots would have won if they hadn't taken a chance on Tom Brady with a 6th round pick.
    Sure they could have stuck with John Friesz, but they took a chance.

[/quote]

I'm saying Bollinger and Brennan are both a waste of space.
    I wouldn't take either of them.
    I would rather get a new squad of cheerleaders than have either one of those hacks on the squad.
    Maybe i'll eat crow in a couple of years because he is the next superhero QB....i seriously doubt that I will eat crow for that statement though.
    I have plenty of other statements brewing though that may win me the coveted crow award.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

I to am a believer that the Vikes will take a qb in the later end of the 3rd-4th round.

maybe.. maybe they know who their guy is and they jump up a bit to grab him.. (ala Tjack)

but that's IF they KNOW who their guy is. this crew has a good eye for spotting the talent they want. and i think that the first draft day will be picking up players to fill holes more needed this/next year then say 3 years down the road.

other then that. i'm sure we'll be scratchin our heads and critiqueing what we see as the picks and our future as a team.

IF they can pull off what they did last year and have at least 50% return in playing time from the rooks then i think they did a bang up job!!

as it's off season i can understand that we'll go over who's this pick and who's best for that pic about 10000's times before they happen.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=vikingivan link=topic=43785.msg752728#msg752728 date=1207226875]
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=43785.msg752726#msg752726 date=1207226648]
    [quote author=vikingivan link=topic=43785.msg752723#msg752723 date=1207226506]
    If Colt Brennan is on the board in the 5th round I think the Vikes should take him.

It is too bad the Vikings were unsuccessful in obtaining Rosenfels.
    I wonder if Houston would have taken a 3rd rounder and TWill.
    That would seem to have made more sense than trading Williamson to the Jags for a 6th rounder.
    Brooks Bollinger is an HOFer compared to Colt Brennan.
    When someone makes a statement like that, I really must question their football knowledge.
    Hmmmm, someone like Brennan that has the cinderellas story and chokes under pressure against real competition at the collegiate level.
    Someone that hasn't taken a snap in the NFL.
    It is all speculation, yes.
    Dig up this thread in a few years and prove me wrong.
    My guess is he will do nothing in the NFL.
    You think he will.
    Nobody wins until it plays out.

Run along and be an expert now.
    I never claimed to be an expert.
    Brennan might never do anything in the NFL.
    He might be a total bust like Brooks Bollinger.
    But to say that a kid that has never taken a snap in the NFL is not as good as a never has been like Bollinger, that is absurd.
    Brennan will be drafted in the later rounds.
    I just think he is worth the risk of a late round pick.

As far as Bollinger is concerned it is about time Childress quits carrying him.
    If he cannot beat out Frerotte there is no reason to keep him on the roster.
    The 3rd string qb should be a young qb that can learn and develop.
    We had him last year, and lost Thigpen to the Chiefs.
    That was a poor decision by Childress to risk him on the waiver wire.
    I agree Bollinger is wasted space.

Absurd?
    A punk kid that played for a team that had an inflated record due to their schedule that has never played a down in the NFL is somehow better than someone that has existed in the NFL system for years?
    Maybe that will be true in the future, but, as of this minute Bollinger is better.
    He has done more with his career.
    If you truly care enough you could look at their stats in college and then adjust them for the competition that they had and then you might be able to make a somewhat palatable comparison.
    At this point Colt is a wannabe NFL QB that has taken 0 snaps and Bollinger is a marginal backup QB in the NFL.
    Bollinger wins.
    [/quote]

You would rather keep a marginal backup qb on your roster than take a chance on a kid with a late round pick.
    Is that correct?
    Who cares?
    I wonder how many super bowls the Patriots would have won if they hadn't taken a chance on Tom Brady with a 6th round pick.
    Sure they could have stuck with John Friesz, but they took a chance.

[/quote]

I'm saying Bollinger and Brennan are both a waste of space.
    I wouldn't take either of them.
    I would rather get a new squad of cheerleaders than have either one of those hacks on the squad.
    Maybe i'll eat crow in a couple of years because he is the next superhero QB....i seriously doubt that I will eat crow for that statement though.
    I have plenty of other statements brewing though that may win me the coveted crow award.
    [/quote]

If the options are Bollinger, Brennan, or a squad of cheerleaders, I will take the cheerleaders also.
    You could throw Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in the mix, and I am taking the cheerleaders.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"vikingivan" wrote:
    Is that correct?
    Who cares?
    I wonder how many super bowls the Patriots would have won if they hadn't taken a chance on Tom Brady with a 6th round pick. Sure they could have stuck with John Friesz, but they took a chance.
    I wonder how many they would have won if they hadn't drafted that camcorder.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

litlharsh is offline Coordinator

"C" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    Is that correct?
    Who cares?
    I wonder how many super bowls the Patriots would have won if they hadn't taken a chance on Tom Brady with a 6th round pick. Sure they could have stuck with John Friesz, but they took a chance.
    Camcorder was a Free Agent.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Brennan might not even be drafted now thanks to his injury.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    Is that correct?
    Who cares?

LMAO...;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Brennan might not even be drafted now thanks to his injury.
    I think you are right on with that anaysis IS.

He will land with at team that runs a WCO as a undrafted FA but I just don't see him becoming anything great in the NFL unless he can add some weight/muscle.

Quick question, did he ever take snaps under center or did they run that spread offense out there?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

DENNIS DIXON in the 5th or 6th round....
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Can you say smoke screen?

I believe they have discounted getting Ryann or Brohm (they will go to high) and figure that they are targeting 6 QB's that can run thier WCO. One of the 3 slated to go in the 2nd round could slip into the 3rd round or will fall low enough into the 2nd were they might move up to get them.

If not they will settle on Johnson or Ainge in the 3rd or O'connell a bit later.

Flacco (2nd Round)
    Booty (2nd Round)
    Henne (2nd Round)
    Johnson (3rd Round)
    Ainge (3rd Round)
    Oconnell (5th Round)

Suffice it to say, one of these cats will be a Viking next year.
    By the way, I ranked them in the order I like them but I think they will all develop into the type of QB we need.
    Some will just take a bit more time than the others.

;D
    Marr he better take someone high or you are going to have to bash him for the samethings you bashed Denny and Tice for....leaking your gameplan. Why even mention that. You're only help the people drafting behind you in the 1st round!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast