Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 129
  1. #101
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,234

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=HEY link=topic=43785.msg753626#msg753626 date=1207326459]
    [quote author=Chazz link=topic=43785.msg752947#msg752947 date=1207244978]
    I don't think Flacco would be a good fit for a WCO. He is a big, strong armed QB who would be best fit in a vertical Offense,

    Henne and Booty are the guys I like best. Henne is IMO a future star in the NFL. Booty would be a good fit for a WCO, he is most accurate in the short to mid range throws. His deep passes are less than pretty. The other guys I know little about. I don't like what I see in Ainge.
    I agree with everything you said.
    I also think Chad Henne has showed that he could be a future star in the NFL.
    Henne would be a great addition but after Childress said that comment, I doubt it will happen

    Ahh....that's just smoke and mirrors. The entire crew went to check out Matt Ryan. Brohm and Flacco are coming in for a workout. They will draft one if the right guy fall to the right spot. If Ryan is there at 17, I have no doubt they will draft him. If Brohm or Flacco are there in the 2nd, they will draft him. If Henne is there in the 3rd they will draft him. I don't know that they will move up to get one.
    Link?

    Or is this mothers intuition?
    +1 I have not heard this yet, Singer have you?
    [/quote]

    He's pulling some of that out of his ass.
    Flacco & Brohm were here & were probably looked at at the combine/pro day. But contrary to his assumption, the entire crew did not go to see Matt Ryan at his
    pro day. I'd like to see a link myself that states that they did. I know he can't find one.

    I know the Vikings are keeping their eye on Matt Ryan, but outside of seeing him at his pro day, he has not been here. Again, the entire crew did not go & see him there. In fact only 3 went & one of them wasn't Childress. Rick Spielman, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell & QB coach Kevin Rogers were the only ones who attended.

    http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1457

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=43337.0


    Here's the visits/planned visits we've had with rookies thus far;

    Scheduled to visit as of March 27 were:
    • Quarterback Brian Brohm, Louisville
    • Quarterback Joe Flacco, Delaware
    • Wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
    • Wide receiver Devin Thomas, Michigan State
    • Defensive tackle Dre Moore, Maryland
    • Defensive lineman Kendall Langford, Leighton
    • Defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina
    • Defensive lineman Trevor Laws, Notre Dame
    • Safety Ryan Mundy, West Virginia
    • Offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

    http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21670.html

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=43198.0
    [/quote]

    Youdaman.

  2. #102
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    782

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=HEY link=topic=43785.msg753626#msg753626 date=1207326459]
    [quote author=Chazz link=topic=43785.msg752947#msg752947 date=1207244978]
    I don't think Flacco would be a good fit for a WCO. He is a big, strong armed QB who would be best fit in a vertical Offense,

    Henne and Booty are the guys I like best. Henne is IMO a future star in the NFL. Booty would be a good fit for a WCO, he is most accurate in the short to mid range throws. His deep passes are less than pretty. The other guys I know little about. I don't like what I see in Ainge.
    I agree with everything you said.
    I also think Chad Henne has showed that he could be a future star in the NFL.
    Henne would be a great addition but after Childress said that comment, I doubt it will happen

    Ahh....that's just smoke and mirrors. The entire crew went to check out Matt Ryan. Brohm and Flacco are coming in for a workout. They will draft one if the right guy fall to the right spot. If Ryan is there at 17, I have no doubt they will draft him. If Brohm or Flacco are there in the 2nd, they will draft him. If Henne is there in the 3rd they will draft him. I don't know that they will move up to get one.
    Link?

    Or is this mothers intuition?
    +1 I have not heard this yet, Singer have you?
    [/quote]

    He's pulling some of that out of his jiggly butt.
    Flacco & Brohm were here & were probably looked at at the combine/pro day. But contrary to his assumption, the entire crew did not go to see Matt Ryan at his
    pro day. I'd like to see a link myself that states that they did. I know he can't find one.

    I know the Vikings are keeping their eye on Matt Ryan, but outside of seeing him at his pro day, he has not been here. Again, the entire crew did not go & see him there. In fact only 3 went & one of them wasn't Childress. Rick Spielman, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell & QB coach Kevin Rogers were the only ones who attended.

    http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1457

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=43337.0


    Here's the visits/planned visits we've had with rookies thus far;

    Scheduled to visit as of March 27 were:
    • Quarterback Brian Brohm, Louisville
    • Quarterback Joe Flacco, Delaware
    • Wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
    • Wide receiver Devin Thomas, Michigan State
    • Defensive tackle Dre Moore, Maryland
    • Defensive lineman Kendall Langford, Leighton
    • Defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina
    • Defensive lineman Trevor Laws, Notre Dame
    • Safety Ryan Mundy, West Virginia
    • Offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

    http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21670.html

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=43198.0
    [/quote]



    Ok...my bad. The entire organisation did not go see him, but if your OC, QBs coach and the guy in charge of running the draft all go to check him out. I would say that is significant. The only person not in attendence was Childress. At least that would be my opinion of the whole crew.

    Do you find it to be meaningless that those 3 guys all flew in and checked him out?

  3. #103
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "Chazz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43785.msg753728#msg753728 date=1207340343]
    [quote author=HEY link=topic=43785.msg753626#msg753626 date=1207326459]
    [quote author=Chazz link=topic=43785.msg752947#msg752947 date=1207244978]
    I don't think Flacco would be a good fit for a WCO. He is a big, strong armed QB who would be best fit in a vertical Offense,

    Henne and Booty are the guys I like best. Henne is IMO a future star in the NFL. Booty would be a good fit for a WCO, he is most accurate in the short to mid range throws. His deep passes are less than pretty. The other guys I know little about. I don't like what I see in Ainge.
    I agree with everything you said.
    I also think Chad Henne has showed that he could be a future star in the NFL.
    Henne would be a great addition but after Childress said that comment, I doubt it will happen

    Ahh....that's just smoke and mirrors. The entire crew went to check out Matt Ryan. Brohm and Flacco are coming in for a workout. They will draft one if the right guy fall to the right spot. If Ryan is there at 17, I have no doubt they will draft him. If Brohm or Flacco are there in the 2nd, they will draft him. If Henne is there in the 3rd they will draft him. I don't know that they will move up to get one.
    Link?

    Or is this mothers intuition?
    +1 I have not heard this yet, Singer have you?
    [/quote]

    He's pulling some of that out of his jiggly butt.
    Flacco & Brohm were here & were probably looked at at the combine/pro day. But contrary to his assumption, the entire crew did not go to see Matt Ryan at his
    pro day. I'd like to see a link myself that states that they did. I know he can't find one.

    I know the Vikings are keeping their eye on Matt Ryan, but outside of seeing him at his pro day, he has not been here. Again, the entire crew did not go & see him there. In fact only 3 went & one of them wasn't Childress. Rick Spielman, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell & QB coach Kevin Rogers were the only ones who attended.

    http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1457

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=43337.0


    Here's the visits/planned visits we've had with rookies thus far;

    Scheduled to visit as of March 27 were:
    • Quarterback Brian Brohm, Louisville
    • Quarterback Joe Flacco, Delaware
    • Wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
    • Wide receiver Devin Thomas, Michigan State
    • Defensive tackle Dre Moore, Maryland
    • Defensive lineman Kendall Langford, Leighton
    • Defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina
    • Defensive lineman Trevor Laws, Notre Dame
    • Safety Ryan Mundy, West Virginia
    • Offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

    http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21670.html

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=43198.0
    [/quote]



    Ok...my bad. The entire organisation did not go see him, but if your OC, QBs coach and the guy in charge of running the draft all go to check him out. I would say that is significant. The only person not in attendence was Childress. At least that would be my opinion of the whole crew.

    Do you find it to be meaningless that those 3 guys all flew in and checked him out?
    [/quote]

    Significant yes, but the entire crew, hardly. To me the entire crew would also include Childress, scouts, medical staff, perhaps more front office staff, etc.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #104
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    782

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    [quote author=Chazz link=topic=43785.msg753734#msg753734 date=1207340949]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43785.msg753728#msg753728 date=1207340343]
    [quote author=HEY link=topic=43785.msg753626#msg753626 date=1207326459]
    [quote author=Chazz link=topic=43785.msg752947#msg752947 date=1207244978]
    I don't think Flacco would be a good fit for a WCO. He is a big, strong armed QB who would be best fit in a vertical Offense,

    Henne and Booty are the guys I like best. Henne is IMO a future star in the NFL. Booty would be a good fit for a WCO, he is most accurate in the short to mid range throws. His deep passes are less than pretty. The other guys I know little about. I don't like what I see in Ainge.
    I agree with everything you said.
    I also think Chad Henne has showed that he could be a future star in the NFL.
    Henne would be a great addition but after Childress said that comment, I doubt it will happen

    Ahh....that's just smoke and mirrors. The entire crew went to check out Matt Ryan. Brohm and Flacco are coming in for a workout. They will draft one if the right guy fall to the right spot. If Ryan is there at 17, I have no doubt they will draft him. If Brohm or Flacco are there in the 2nd, they will draft him. If Henne is there in the 3rd they will draft him. I don't know that they will move up to get one.
    Link?

    Or is this mothers intuition?
    +1 I have not heard this yet, Singer have you?
    [/quote]

    He's pulling some of that out of his jiggly butt.
    Flacco & Brohm were here & were probably looked at at the combine/pro day. But contrary to his assumption, the entire crew did not go to see Matt Ryan at his
    pro day. I'd like to see a link myself that states that they did. I know he can't find one.

    I know the Vikings are keeping their eye on Matt Ryan, but outside of seeing him at his pro day, he has not been here. Again, the entire crew did not go & see him there. In fact only 3 went & one of them wasn't Childress. Rick Spielman, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell & QB coach Kevin Rogers were the only ones who attended.

    http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1457

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=43337.0


    Here's the visits/planned visits we've had with rookies thus far;

    Scheduled to visit as of March 27 were:
    • Quarterback Brian Brohm, Louisville
    • Quarterback Joe Flacco, Delaware
    • Wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
    • Wide receiver Devin Thomas, Michigan State
    • Defensive tackle Dre Moore, Maryland
    • Defensive lineman Kendall Langford, Leighton
    • Defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina
    • Defensive lineman Trevor Laws, Notre Dame
    • Safety Ryan Mundy, West Virginia
    • Offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

    http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21670.html

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=43198.0
    [/quote]



    Ok...my bad. The entire organisation did not go see him, but if your OC, QBs coach and the guy in charge of running the draft all go to check him out. I would say that is significant. The only person not in attendence was Childress. At least that would be my opinion of the whole crew.

    Do you find it to be meaningless that those 3 guys all flew in and checked him out?
    [/quote]

    Significant yes, but the entire crew, hardly. To me the entire crew would also include Childress, scouts, medical staff, perhaps more front office staff, etc.
    [/quote]


    I think the medical staff would come later, if they put him on there draft chart. I would assume that all the scouts have already evaluated him, which is why Speilman, Bevell, and Rodgers went in the first place. If Childress wants a look at him, he will be brought to Winter Park.

    We have different definitions of whole crew. The only person missing was Childress IMO, for the reasons stated above.

  5. #105
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    I don't think Ferotte thing is as big a deal as people make it.
    Gus will be the backup this year, end of story, but the Vikings have had 3 QBs the last season or two so there is room for one more.
    I see no reason the Vikings wouldn't get a guy high if he fell to their pick and just put him behind Gus and T-Jack for the season.


    The Vikings have shown if they want a guy they'll go get them no matter who's on the roster, I.E. AP when we had Chester.
    I don't really think the Vikings went after AP. Sure they really didn't "need" another RB, but AP fell into their laps (which made it pretty much a no brainer). I think TJ is a better example of getting a guy they wanted. Reach or not (depending who you talk to).
    It sure is funny how people forget that the Vikes did take some heat for taking him last year.
    Lets not forget that no one questioned his athletic ability but no one thought he should be taken that high because of his issues related to injuries that would/could have kept him from playing significant amount of time last year as well as his past injury issues.

    Again, falling into our lap and a "No Brainer Pick" comments are crazy.


    He was only taken because our medical staff did a better job than the 6 teams ahead of us and the other teams that needed running backs who didn't move up and take him ahead of us.
    Wrong again my friend.
    AD was projected to go well before the 7th pick. He did fall to us.
    He was projected to go to the Browns a 3rd in a couple

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/02/15/mock.draft2.part1/index.html
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2007.php

    Clearly he was a top 7 player in the draft and was not expected to go past us.
    I don't think it's reasonable to say that we did a better job checking him out than other teams.
    Look at the teams ahead of us.

    1) Oak - Went QB. No one can fault them for this as this was the choice they were expected to make
    2) Lions - Chose Calvin. - With Kevin Jones available and the chance to get 1 or 2
    more exceptional talents in the draft, they chose Calvin. I think we may have done the same if we were at the # 2 spot. We would have picked up a back up RB for CT
    in a later round.
    3)Browns - Signed Jamal Lewis and biggest issue was QB and OL.
    4)Bucs - Gains - With Caddilac why take AD.
    5) Ariz - Signed Ejames
    6) Clinton - is already there.

    The only teams that could have taken him were lions, browns, and Oak.

    Our amazing ability to medically diagnois injuried had very little to do with AD.
    Most teams try to funky up a prospect to drop his sock. AD is probally one of the biggest victoms of this in recent years. It's all smokes and mirrors.
    Let me see if I can understand your point here as you appear to start one way and then go another....

    Wrong again my friend.
    AD was projected to go well before the 7th pick. He did fall to us.
    He was projected to go to the Browns a 3rd in a couple
    So your argument is that he fell into our lap because 3 of the 6 teams ahead of us who not only needed a RB but should have taken BPA because they were drafting in the top 10 didn't take him?
    [/quote]
    It appears by your comments he was projected to go pretty high.
    That I agree with you on.
    Why then, if he was projected so high, didn't he get taken?

    1) Oak - Went QB. No one can fault them for this as this was the choice they were expected to make
    2) Lions - Chose Calvin. - With Kevin Jones available and the chance to get 1 or 2
    more exceptional talents in the draft, they chose Calvin. I think we may have done the same if we were at the # 2 spot. We would have picked up a back up RB for CT
    in a later round.
    3)Browns - Signed Jamal Lewis and biggest issue was QB and OL.
    4)Bucs - Gains - With Caddilac why take AD.
    5) Ariz - Signed Ejames
    6) Clinton - is already there.

    The only teams that could have taken him were lions, browns, and Oak.
    OK, I will almost follow that the other teams had higher needs but lets remember that in the top 5 (and in most cases the top 10 picks) teams take the BPA regardless of what thier needs are.


    Anyway, barring that logic (I'm not sure why) and following your assesment, 50% of the teams ahead of us should've addressed a need by taking the BPA (AD by the way) and didn't.

    Again, I ask the question why?
    Was it becuase he was prone to injury?
    Was it because he already was healing from an injury"

    Clearly he was a top 7 player in the draft and was not expected to go past us.
    I don't think it's reasonable to say that we did a better job checking him out than other teams.
    Look at the teams ahead of us.
    Do you honestly believe that if those 3 (I say all of them) teams that could've satisfied a need by taking AD did a good job of evaluating his medical status?

    I believe they failed at evaluating him medically and didn't want to use a top 10 pick on a guy who they believed wouldn't be ready to play in 2007.
    The Vikings medical staff evaluated him as being ready to play in 2007.

    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...training-camp/

    This is the type of injury that might not affect Peterson's draft stock at all, or that might drop him way down in Saturday's first round. It all depends on what the medical staffs of a few key teams -- notably the Browns, Cardinals, Vikings and Texans -- think about the injury.


    It has to be disconcerting, though, that this guy has had so many nagging injuries. Peterson has an upright running style and takes a lot of hits. Can he stay healthy for a 16-game NFL season? It's hard to blame NFL teams if they're skeptical.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_508091.html

    The Minnesota Vikings first-round draft pick will not need surgery to repair a collarbone that was broken twice last season, an injury that may have caused him to slip to the seventh pick in April's NFL draft
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...er_during.html
    Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson has drawn comparisons to Hall of Fame rusher Jim Brown and had been considered to be a lock to be drafted in the top 10 on Saturday, possibly even the top 5.

    However, recent information about a new injury, reported by various news sources, could change that.

    According to the reports, Peterson re-injured his collarbone during the New Years Day Fiesta Bowl against Boise State. The injury, according to anonymous sources from a couple of NFL teams, may require surgery that will cause him to miss training camp with the team that drafts him. It'll also raise questions about his durability and whether he's able to be a featured back in the NFL.
    I could post a hell of alot more but I don't think it is necessary.

    Our medical dept not only did an outstanding job of evaluating the injury, the were spot on when 6 other teams (sorry 3 other teams) failed to do that very same feat.

    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #106
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    I don't think Ferotte thing is as big a deal as people make it.
    Gus will be the backup this year, end of story, but the Vikings have had 3 QBs the last season or two so there is room for one more.
    I see no reason the Vikings wouldn't get a guy high if he fell to their pick and just put him behind Gus and T-Jack for the season.


    The Vikings have shown if they want a guy they'll go get them no matter who's on the roster, I.E. AP when we had Chester.
    I don't really think the Vikings went after AP. Sure they really didn't "need" another RB, but AP fell into their laps (which made it pretty much a no brainer). I think TJ is a better example of getting a guy they wanted. Reach or not (depending who you talk to).
    It sure is funny how people forget that the Vikes did take some heat for taking him last year.
    Lets not forget that no one questioned his athletic ability but no one thought he should be taken that high because of his issues related to injuries that would/could have kept him from playing significant
    amount of time last year as well as his past injury issues.

    Again, falling into our lap and a "No Brainer Pick" comments are crazy.


    He was only taken because our medical staff did a better job than the 6 teams ahead of us and the other teams that needed running backs who didn't move up and take him ahead of us.
    I don't think so. Your comment is purely based on hindsight. Yes, our medical staff did a great job of evaluating him, but upon the opening of draft day, while pick 1 thru 6 were happening, we did not know that the other teams did or did not do their jobs correctly. We also didn't know what those teams draft boards looked like.

    Even if their needs weren't for a RB, just like ours, certainly many teams go with BPA.

    Without knowing that beforehand & if the Vikings wanted him that badly, they would have made a move to move up to try & nab him.

    They didn't.

    He fell into our laps at #7 & was probably the BPA & you're going to have a very hard time convincing people otherwise.
    You above all the posters on here should remember the issues that swirled about AD last year.

    (see the links I provided in my response to Kevon).

    There were a heck of alot more stuff on him not going in the top 10 than there was of him getting drafted in the top 10 because of his "Injuries".

    Again, he didn't fall into our laps, other teams passed on him because of those very same concerns.
    Our medical staff just did a better job and chose him when he came around because he was the BPA in the top 10.

    Heck, again, most on this board were pissed because they took him over Ginn.


    I was online when they took him and I remember how pissed most were on here.
    Heck it got so bad that we had at least 3 yutz's insulting some sooner fans who joined the site that day to tell us what a steal we got and were immediately beset by the yutzs who said we were dumb to take him because he wasn't gonna be ready to play last year.

    He was only available because the other staffs felt he wasn't worth taking because of those injuries.

    Again, how quickly we forget.

    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #107
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    782

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    I don't think Ferotte thing is as big a deal as people make it.
    Gus will be the backup this year, end of story, but the Vikings have had 3 QBs the last season or two so there is room for one more.
    I see no reason the Vikings wouldn't get a guy high if he fell to their pick and just put him behind Gus and T-Jack for the season.


    The Vikings have shown if they want a guy they'll go get them no matter who's on the roster, I.E. AP when we had Chester.
    I don't really think the Vikings went after AP. Sure they really didn't "need" another RB, but AP fell into their laps (which made it pretty much a no brainer). I think TJ is a better example of getting a guy they wanted. Reach or not (depending who you talk to).
    It sure is funny how people forget that the Vikes did take some heat for taking him last year.
    Lets not forget that no one questioned his athletic ability but no one thought he should be taken that high because of his issues related to injuries that would/could have kept him from playing significant
    amount of time last year as well as his past injury issues.

    Again, falling into our lap and a "No Brainer Pick" comments are crazy.


    He was only taken because our medical staff did a better job than the 6 teams ahead of us and the other teams that needed running backs who didn't move up and take him ahead of us.
    I don't think so. Your comment is purely based on hindsight. Yes, our medical staff did a great job of evaluating him, but upon the opening of draft day, while pick 1 thru 6 were happening, we did not know that the other teams did or did not do their jobs correctly. We also didn't know what those teams draft boards looked like.

    Even if their needs weren't for a RB, just like ours, certainly many teams go with BPA.

    Without knowing that beforehand & if the Vikings wanted him that badly, they would have made a move to move up to try & nab him.

    They didn't.

    He fell into our laps at #7 & was probably the BPA & you're going to have a very hard time convincing people otherwise.
    You above all the posters on here should remember the issues that swirled about AD last year.

    (see the links I provided in my response to Kevon).

    There were a heck of alot more stuff on him not going in the top 10 than there was of him getting drafted in the top 10 because of his "Injuries".

    Again, he didn't fall into our laps, other teams passed on him because of those very same concerns.
    Our medical staff just did a better job and chose him when he came around because he was the BPA in the top 10.

    Heck, again, most on this board were pissed because they took him over Ginn.


    I was online when they took him and I remember how pissed most were on here.
    Heck it got so bad that we had at least 3 yutz's insulting some sooner fans who joined the site that day to tell us what a steal we got and were immediately beset by the yutzs who said we were dumb to take him because he wasn't gonna be ready to play last year.

    He was only available because the other staffs felt he wasn't worth taking because of those injuries.

    Again, how quickly we forget.

    ;D

    Yeah...I remember there being a lot of criticism in taking AD. There were those that said we have Chester Tayler, why draft AD. Others that said he runs to upright to make it in the NFL. Then there were the injury ones. Don't forget we past on Brady Quinn to get AD, even though are QB position is a major ???. That was a less than popular decision among many.

  8. #108
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    I don't think Ferotte thing is as big a deal as people make it.
    Gus will be the backup this year, end of story, but the Vikings have had 3 QBs the last season or two so there is room for one more.
    I see no reason the Vikings wouldn't get a guy high if he fell to their pick and just put him behind Gus and T-Jack for the season.


    The Vikings have shown if they want a guy they'll go get them no matter who's on the roster, I.E. AP when we had Chester.
    I don't really think the Vikings went after AP. Sure they really didn't "need" another RB, but AP fell into their laps (which made it pretty much a no brainer). I think TJ is a better example of getting a guy they wanted. Reach or not (depending who you talk to).
    It sure is funny how people forget that the Vikes did take some heat for taking him last year.
    Lets not forget that no one questioned his athletic ability but no one thought he should be taken that high because of his issues related to injuries that would/could have kept him from playing significant
    amount of time last year as well as his past injury issues.

    Again, falling into our lap and a "No Brainer Pick" comments are crazy.


    He was only taken because our medical staff did a better job than the 6 teams ahead of us and the other teams that needed running backs who didn't move up and take him ahead of us.
    I don't think so. Your comment is purely based on hindsight. Yes, our medical staff did a great job of evaluating him, but upon the opening of draft day, while pick 1 thru 6 were happening, we did not know that the other teams did or did not do their jobs correctly. We also didn't know what those teams draft boards looked like.

    Even if their needs weren't for a RB, just like ours, certainly many teams go with BPA.

    Without knowing that beforehand & if the Vikings wanted him that badly, they would have made a move to move up to try & nab him.

    They didn't.

    He fell into our laps at #7 & was probably the BPA & you're going to have a very hard time convincing people otherwise.
    You above all the posters on here should remember the issues that swirled about AD last year.

    (see the links I provided in my response to Kevon).

    There were a heck of alot more stuff on him not going in the top 10 than there was of him getting drafted in the top 10 because of his "Injuries".

    Again, he didn't fall into our laps, other teams passed on him because of those very same concerns.
    Our medical staff just did a better job and chose him when he came around because he was the BPA in the top 10.

    Heck, again, most on this board were pissed because they took him over Ginn.


    I was online when they took him and I remember how pissed most were on here.
    Heck it got so bad that we had at least 3 yutz's insulting some sooner fans who joined the site that day to tell us what a steal we got and were immediately beset by the yutzs who said we were dumb to take him because he wasn't gonna be ready to play last year.

    He was only available because the other staffs felt he wasn't worth taking because of those injuries.

    Again, how quickly we forget.
    ;D
    You mean Quinn don't you? I still recall a lot more Quinn worshipers than I do Ginn supporters.

    It's easy to say that the other teams didn't do a thorough job on their analysis simply because they did not select them.

    How do you know for sure? Just because they passed on him? That's hardly proof enough. Many teams still draft on need & not necessarily on BPA.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #109
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    I don't think Ferotte thing is as big a deal as people make it.
    Gus will be the backup this year, end of story, but the Vikings have had 3 QBs the last season or two so there is room for one more.
    I see no reason the Vikings wouldn't get a guy high if he fell to their pick and just put him behind Gus and T-Jack for the season.


    The Vikings have shown if they want a guy they'll go get them no matter who's on the roster, I.E. AP when we had Chester.
    I don't really think the Vikings went after AP. Sure they really didn't "need" another RB, but AP fell into their laps (which made it pretty much a no brainer). I think TJ is a better example of getting a guy they wanted. Reach or not (depending who you talk to).
    It sure is funny how people forget that the Vikes did take some heat for taking him last year.
    Lets not forget that no one questioned his athletic ability but no one thought he should be taken that high because of his issues related to injuries that would/could have kept him from playing significant
    amount of time last year as well as his past injury issues.

    Again, falling into our lap and a "No Brainer Pick" comments are crazy.


    He was only taken because our medical staff did a better job than the 6 teams ahead of us and the other teams that needed running backs who didn't move up and take him ahead of us.
    I don't think so. Your comment is purely based on hindsight. Yes, our medical staff did a great job of evaluating him, but upon the opening of draft day, while pick 1 thru 6 were happening, we did not know that the other teams did or did not do their jobs correctly. We also didn't know what those teams draft boards looked like.

    Even if their needs weren't for a RB, just like ours, certainly many teams go with BPA.

    Without knowing that beforehand & if the Vikings wanted him that badly, they would have made a move to move up to try & nab him.

    They didn't.

    He fell into our laps at #7 & was probably the BPA & you're going to have a very hard time convincing people otherwise.
    You above all the posters on here should remember the issues that swirled about AD last year.

    (see the links I provided in my response to Kevon).

    There were a heck of alot more stuff on him not going in the top 10 than there was of him getting drafted in the top 10 because of his "Injuries".

    Again, he didn't fall into our laps, other teams passed on him because of those very same concerns.
    Our medical staff just did a better job and chose him when he came around because he was the BPA in the top 10.

    Heck, again, most on this board were pissed because they took him over Ginn.


    I was online when they took him and I remember how pissed most were on here.
    Heck it got so bad that we had at least 3 yutz's insulting some sooner fans who joined the site that day to tell us what a steal we got and were immediately beset by the yutzs who said we were dumb to take him because he wasn't gonna be ready to play last year.

    He was only available because the other staffs felt he wasn't worth taking because of those injuries.

    Again, how quickly we forget.
    ;D
    Or too play the other side.
    Who says our medical staff found "something" out that three other professional medical staffs didn't?
    Maybe Mar, just maybe our staff came to a different conclusion of how big of risk as a team we were willing to take.
    Maybe the other teams knew the same exact things we did but didn't want to take the risk.


    I agree we have highly paid pros running our team Mar, but they don't know everything, and they aren't always finding magical things that other teams can't seem to understand.
    If I went up to my local hospital there are 4 doctors up there that probably could give you an overall risk summery of AP after his injuries, not to mention highly paid proffesionals for an NFL team.

    I just don't buy that the other franchises just didn't do as good of job as we did looking at AP.
    They just didn't want to take the risk that we did, who's to say AP doesn't get injured again this year?
    Who would be the smart one then?
    It isn't who thought AP would be healthier, it was who was willing to take the risk.
    And the Vikings took the risk.

  10. #110
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Childress: Vikings won't look for a QB high in the draft

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    [quote author=Schutz link=topic=43785.msg753818#msg753818 date=1207363466]
    I don't think Ferotte thing is as big a deal as people make it.
    Gus will be the backup this year, end of story, but the Vikings have had 3 QBs the last season or two so there is room for one more.
    I see no reason the Vikings wouldn't get a guy high if he fell to their pick and just put him behind Gus and T-Jack for the season.


    The Vikings have shown if they want a guy they'll go get them no matter who's on the roster, I.E. AP when we had Chester.
    I don't really think the Vikings went after AP. Sure they really didn't "need" another RB, but AP fell into their laps (which made it pretty much a no brainer). I think TJ is a better example of getting a guy they wanted. Reach or not (depending who you talk to).
    It sure is funny how people forget that the Vikes did take some heat for taking him last year.
    Lets not forget that no one questioned his athletic ability but no one thought he should be taken that high because of his issues related to injuries that would/could have kept him from playing significant
    amount of time last year as well as his past injury issues.

    Again, falling into our lap and a "No Brainer Pick" comments are crazy.


    He was only taken because our medical staff did a better job than the 6 teams ahead of us and the other teams that needed running backs who didn't move up and take him ahead of us.
    I don't think so. Your comment is purely based on hindsight. Yes, our medical staff did a great job of evaluating him, but upon the opening of draft day, while pick 1 thru 6 were happening, we did not know that the other teams did or did not do their jobs correctly. We also didn't know what those teams draft boards looked like.

    Even if their needs weren't for a RB, just like ours, certainly many teams go with BPA.

    Without knowing that beforehand & if the Vikings wanted him that badly, they would have made a move to move up to try & nab him.

    They didn't.

    He fell into our laps at #7 & was probably the BPA & you're going to have a very hard time convincing people otherwise.
    You above all the posters on here should remember the issues that swirled about AD last year.

    (see the links I provided in my response to Kevon).

    There were a heck of alot more stuff on him not going in the top 10 than there was of him getting drafted in the top 10 because of his "Injuries".

    Again, he didn't fall into our laps, other teams passed on him because of those very same concerns.
    Our medical staff just did a better job and chose him when he came around because he was the BPA in the top 10.

    Heck, again, most on this board were pissed because they took him over Ginn.


    I was online when they took him and I remember how pissed most were on here.
    Heck it got so bad that we had at least 3 yutz's insulting some sooner fans who joined the site that day to tell us what a steal we got and were immediately beset by the yutzs who said we were dumb to take him because he wasn't gonna be ready to play last year.

    He was only available because the other staffs felt he wasn't worth taking because of those injuries.

    Again, how quickly we forget.

    ;D
    You mean Quinn don't you? I still recall a lot more Quinn worshipers than I do Ginn supporters.

    It's easy to say that the other teams didn't do a thorough job on their analysis simply because they did not select them.

    How do you know for sure? Just because they passed on him? That's hardly proof enough. Many teams still draft on need & not necessarily on BPA.
    [/quote]
    I kindof left Quinn out of the discussion cause the Ginn supporters were the nastiest on here but yes, there were as many prognasticators having us draft BQ as well as Ginn.


    LOL, nobody on sites like this know anything for sure.
    We just sit back and make assumptions based on what we read but all indicators are that they (at least 3 or 4 teams passed on him because of the injury and would probably have took him if they thought he was cleared to play.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. We should take Adarius Bowman high in the draft.
    By kevoncox in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 11:57 PM
  2. Things more high powered than Childress' offense
    By MensaTice in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 04:52 PM
  3. Childress earning high marks for accountability
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 08:25 AM
  4. Videos: Childress on character & Childress talks draft
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 12:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •