Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress: Starters won't play Thursday

"singersp" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    Thats good, we got to many guys scrapping for final spots they need all the reps they can get to show what they have. I would rather see guys like Berrian and Tarvaris get the rest and we can come out full strength and kill Green Bay.
    That's idiotic IMO & a bad move on Childress' part. They at least need some type of work in that game.

Jackson will have sat 2 games, Rice 2 or 3 games & Berrian 2 or 3 games. The rest of the starters will have all at least sat a game as well.

No way they come back in a vital game against the Packers on their turf & be in top form.

We have all seen what happens to playoff teams who have clinched a playoff spots & rested their starters the week before.

The chances that GB wins this game have now increased.
    On the flip side, they won't be hurt either.
    In hindsight, I'm guessing that Osi Umenyiora would have liked to not started last week.
    Injuries happen, that's part of the game. Should we just hold out some of our starters so they'd be healthy for the playoffs.

I also recall a playoff team that rested their starters the week before the playoffs & then got owned in the playoffs. I recall the coach stating he regretted resting his starters & it was a mistake.\

If this was a game against a weaker opponent not in our division, I could maybe see it a little more justifiable, but this will be against a division rival that we will be fighting against for the NFC North Championship.

If we lose that game, it could easily come back to haunt us come January.
    How about all the teams that have rested there "Whole Team" on a bye before a 2nd Round playoff game? Several have gone on to win and win big. IMO its more about the mental toughness, will our team not playing a regulated snap for two weeks effect them? If so I don't expect it to last past the first half if at all. We need to be able to overcome that and prepare in practice and thats what we will do.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    Thats good, we got to many guys scrapping for final spots they need all the reps they can get to show what they have. I would rather see guys like Berrian and Tarvaris get the rest and we can come out full strength and kill Green Bay.
    That's idiotic IMO & a bad move on Childress' part. They at least need some type of work in that game.

Jackson will have sat 2 games, Rice 2 or 3 games & Berrian 2 or 3 games. The rest of the starters will have all at least sat a game as well.

No way they come back in a vital game against the Packers on their turf & be in top form.

We have all seen what happens to playoff teams who have clinched a playoff spots & rested their starters the week before.

In hindsight, I'm guessing that Osi Umenyiora would have liked to not started last week.
    Injuries happen, that's part of the game. Should we just hold out some of our starters so they'd be healthy for the playoffs.

I also recall a playoff team that rested their starters the week before the playoffs & then got owned in the playoffs. I recall the coach stating he regretted resting his starters & it was a mistake.\

If this was a game against a weaker opponent not in our division, I could maybe see it a little more justifiable, but this will be against a division rival that we will be fighting against for the NFC North Championship.

Resting before a playoff game is different.
    In the playoffs, you cannot afford to start slow.
    In the regular season, it's not as detrimental as it is a long season.

Childress is merely looking long term.

Preseason games don't matter, and I'd rather have healthy starters going in to the season and keep the right backups on the team, even if it means playing poorly for the 1st quarter of the GB game.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

Preseason games don't matter, and I'd rather have healthy starters going in to the season and keep the right backups on the team, even if it means playing poorly for the 1st quarter of the GB game.
    Can you really afford to lose a pivotal game against a division rival such as GB?

Even starting slow is not a good thing. We could be playing catchup all day.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

How about all the teams that have rested there "Whole Team" on a bye before a 2nd Round playoff game? Several have gone on to win and win big. IMO its more about the mental toughness, will our team not playing a regulated snap for two weeks effect them? If so I don't expect it to last past the first half if at all. We need to be able to overcome that and prepare in practice and thats what we will do.
    Those teams that had a bye, have that bye for one reason only. They are playing great ball.

Not to mention it will have been 2 or more weeks rest for Jackson, Rice & Berrian. Has either Rice or Berrian played in more than 1 preseason game?

We are nowhere near that caliber yet. Especially in our run game.

I have yet to see anything showing me that our passing game has improved our run game.

"singersp" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=VikingsTw link=topic=47353.msg825747#msg825747 date=1219802955]

Can you really afford to lose a pivotal game against a division rival such as GB?

Even starting slow is not a good thing. We could be playing catchup all day.
    [/quote]

You never want to start slow but do you expect GB to put up big numbers on our D? Not me, infact I think Rodgers will in for a world of hurt, we won't be just sitting back playing cover 2.

I think the reason I'm unworried about the "situation" would be due to the fact that I expect the team to beat GB and do it while being Healthy.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I think the reps they get in practice will do as much or more as the one series they would get in a game.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I think the reps they get in practice will do as much or more as the one series they would get in a game.
    We also saw how well the defense played in the 1st preseason game after the reps they got practicing.

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

I thought Jackson and Berrian looked great at Seattle, how many weeks was it since they played before that?

Playoff teams who get the bye week often win, even if they were playing "great ball" they should probably lose because there starters were rested. I guess you dont think the MN Vikings have the potential to be great?

Randy Moss didn't play at all last preseason and he started strong with over 100 yards in his first game.

Teams have a bye in the middle of a season, that always sucks that they come back and lose because they rested there players.

Injuries happen when playing football, that's what happens... I think our starters shouldn't be watching football when they could be playing in this meaningless game!

Gotta love preseason but man... I just wanna win this game with our starters in, that way GB thinks we are super good, it would easily be worth injuring a starter... if that unfortunate event happens.

"Yfz01" wrote:
    I thought Jackson and Berrian looked great at Seattle, how many weeks was it since they played before that?

Playoff teams who get the bye week often win, even if they were playing "great ball" they should probably lose because there starters were rested. I guess you dont think the MN Vikings have the potential to be great?

Randy Moss didn't play at all last preseason and he started strong with over 100 yards in his first game.

Teams have a bye in the middle of a season, that always sucks that they come back and lose because they rested there players.

Injuries happen when playing football, that's what happens... I think our starters shouldn't be watching football when they could be playing in this meaningless game!

The bye week happens after teams have already played several games already. Big difference. How many teams win their first game of the year after resting ALL their starters the week before?

Moss is one player & there are exceptions to every rule. Rice & Berrian aren't of that caliber yet & Berrian has had little game time playing with the Vikings.

Gotta love preseason but man... I just wanna win this game with our starters in, that way GB thinks we are super good, it would easily be worth injuring a starter... if that unfortunate event happens.
    That's two players. How did AD look? How did the rest of the team look?

Yes, I think the Vikings have the potential to be great, but that is potential & not what we are seeing right now.

Do you honestly think we our starters are playing great ball right now? I don't. We saw the defense play great this past weekend at least on the line, but not the offense. Our secondary also still has soft spots in the LB area.

Yes there were 3 starters out, which means they will have not missed just 1 week, but 3 weeks for Rice, 3 weeks for Jackson & 4 weeks for Berrian.

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=VikingsTw link=topic=47353.msg825747#msg825747 date=1219802955]

Those teams that had a bye, have that bye for one reason only. They are playing great ball.

Not to mention it will have been 2 or more weeks rest for Jackson, Rice & Berrian.

We are nowheres near that caliber yet. Especially in our run game.

I have yet to see anything showing me that our passing game has improved our run game.
    [/quote]

I don't disagree with that but I will say I expect good ball and that might that be the issue here.

If I had it my way nobody would be injured and optimal playing time would have been reached, I think with the current injuries and recovering its a good idea sit the starters and take a look at the bench.

IMO we'll come out and play ball on Monday Night and do it healthy with two weeks preperation. It's unfortunet that we have had some injuries but I don't expect a drop off in the passing game. I think the run game is a matter of putting everthing that we've seen past and present into a rythym then doing it consistantly. I think we can score enough points on the Packers to win that game, especailly with our Defense playing at a High Level.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast