Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Childress: Starters won't play Thursday

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1853
    Vikings coach Brad Childress said none of his starters will play Thursday at Dallas. He said he wants to rest them and be able to get a longer look at backups who are fighting to make the 53-man roster.

Childress said there are still a few roster spots open entering the final game and the staff wants to evaluate some of those backups a little more.

Backup quarterback Gus Frerotte also will not play. Frerotte wasn’t at practice today and Childress said he gave him the day off.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress: Starters won't play Thursday

Thats good, we got to many guys scrapping for final spots they need all the reps they can get to show what they have. I would rather see guys like Berrian and Tarvaris get the rest and we can come out full strength and kill Green Bay.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Now comes the epic Botty vs Bollinger battle.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Thats good, we got to many guys scrapping for final spots they need all the reps they can get to show what they have. I would rather see guys like Berrian and Tarvaris get the rest and we can come out full strength and kill Green Bay.
    That's idiotic IMO & a bad move on Childress' part. They at least need some type of work in that game.

Jackson will have sat 2 games, Rice 2 or 3 games & Berrian 2 or 3 games. The rest of the starters will have all at least sat a game as well.

No way they come back in a vital game against the Packers on their turf & be in top form.

We have all seen what happens to playoff teams who have clinched a playoff spots & rested their starters the week before.

The chances that GB wins this game have now increased.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    That's idiotic IMO & a bad move on Childress' part. They at least need some type of work in that game.

Jackson will have sat 2 games, Rice 2 or 3 games & Berrian 2 or 3 games. The rest of the starters will have all at least sat a game as well.

No way they come back in a vital game against the Packers on their turf & be in top form.

We have all seen what happens to playoff teams who have clinched a playoff spots & rested their starters the week before.

On the flip side, they won't be hurt either.
    In hindsight, I'm guessing that Osi Umenyiora would have liked to not started last week.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

It's not like Green Bay has momentum on their side here.
    Does running scripted plays for one drive really provide the starters anything they can't do in practice?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

Well I tend to agree with the coach, for one thing we know what the defense can do, granted the Oline needs a tune up guys like Berrian and Tarvaris are coming off nagging injuries and its preseason, do we need anymore? Add to the fact that we have so many guys battling for positions they need this tape to determine the 54.

Also keep in mind how good we look in that first and parcail second game. We should come out fine in the GB game, 80% will be determined in the trenches.

We probably won't be in top form, infact I don't expect the team to be in top form untill after week 5 or 6.

I think it would be nice to have some playing time this week, but most important everyone for the most part is practicing. It will intristing to see how much the Packers play there starters but I don't believe it changes the complextion of week 1. Rather than having a starter go down I would like to see the team full strength agains the Packers.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

On the flip side, they won't be hurt either.
    In hindsight, I'm guessing that Osi Umenyiora would have liked to not started last week.
    Injuries happen, that's part of the game. Should we just hold out some of our starters so they'd be healthy for the playoffs.

I also recall a playoff team that rested their starters the week before the playoffs & then got owned in the playoffs. I recall the coach stating he regretted resting his starters & it was a mistake.\

If this was a game against a weaker opponent not in our division, I could maybe see it a little more justifiable, but this will be against a division rival that we will be fighting against for the NFC North Championship.

If we lose that game, it could easily come back to haunt us come January.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Childress is between a rock and a hard place. He has too many players banged up an doesn't want to lose any more, but the starters also look like they need more polish at several positions. He certainly has a better idea of where his team is at than any of us on this board, but I wonder if it is enough

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

It's not like Green Bay has momentum on their side here.
    Does running scripted plays for one drive really provide the starters anything they can't do in practice?
    The fan side of me agrees with Singer.
    I want to see our players show they can perform on the field as a unit.
    The logical side of me says that Childress must be comfortable with how his starters have looked this summer and would rather not risk injury.
    I have to side with Childress and his staff.

Italian Stallion brings up a good point too.
    The GB starters probably will play very little if at all.
    They are not going to be coming into the season with any more momentum than us.
    It is the first game of the year...not everything is going to perfect for either team.
    Hopefully we can find some gems to back up our starting O-linemen this Thursday.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast