Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress silences naysayers (me included !)

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    That last video with arguably Tarvaris's worst pass as a pro QB is perfect example of why Childress liked to have Chester on the field, aside from the fact that Richardson didn't hold his block, AP being the rookie he was totally blew his assignment. Had these guys did there job efficently Tarvaris probably would have thrown a completion to a wide open Furgy. With time and experience he will learn to throw that ball away or take the sack.
    If you thought that was the worst throw, you must have forgotten the other INT that came a few moments later. The 1 where he just chucks it up there even though it umbella coverage!!!

Are you kidding me? You are blaming that throw on blocking. The WR jumped and it was still 5 yards away.
    If you are saying that the Rb should have checked backside...i believe he leaked out after the fake handoff. The issues witht his play are easy to see:
    Cut the play action out. There is no need for it. they are selling out on the run on each play. Play action is not going to change that. You can't fool a defense into thinking it's a run when they assume each play is a run.

TJ needs to hit that pass. No if ands about it. I think Booty would have made that throw and I hate him.
    Your problem my friend is that you think all of us are giving our starter a free ride when infact most of us realize he has and will have problems as he learns on the field.

What you focus on is the fact that you only see his flaws and don't equate that to youth. You feel the cat should be a instant star or out the door with him.

Additionally, you refuse to see issues/problems with the other positions (OL) that also contribute to his problems.

Go find me his jump pass video that you rant about.
    Let me break that one down for you.

;D
    Marr, you missed my post on my feeling for TJ. I realize that I had unrealistic expectations on him. I have chalked up some of the things I saw last season to him just being green. We all know that, he's green. Now I figured I have a choice, I can assume that he will never get it or I can believe that the kid is going to work hard this offseason to improve. Everything i have heard this season points to him working his butt off to be better. While I think his basement was pretty low and he had no reason starting, I think that he will be good enough next season. I don't hink a starting QB's skills are constant. I think at the start of the season they start off at like a 5 and as the season goes along their progress looks a bit like
    a stock exchange. TJ i would rate started off at a 3.5 last season peaked at an 8 and fluctuated up and down in between 5 and 7 all season. I expect him to start at a 5 next season and still have the fluctuations in his games but he may peak at a 9 and have an average range between 8 and 6. Basically my impression of TJ has changed greatly. I am really excited about the guy stpping in and being our QB.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    That last video with arguably Tarvaris's worst pass as a pro QB is perfect example of why Childress liked to have Chester on the field, aside from the fact that Richardson didn't hold his block, AP being the rookie he was totally blew his assignment. Had these guys did there job efficently Tarvaris probably would have thrown a completion to a wide open Furgy. With time and experience he will learn to throw that ball away or take the sack.
    If you thought that was the worst throw, you must have forgotten the other INT that came a few moments later. The 1 where he just chucks it up there even though it umbella coverage!!!

Are you kidding me? You are blaming that throw on blocking. The WR jumped and it was still 5 yards away.
    If you are saying that the Rb should have checked backside...i believe he leaked out after the fake handoff. The issues witht his play are easy to see:
    Cut the play action out. There is no need for it. they are selling out on the run on each play. Play action is not going to change that. You can't fool a defense into thinking it's a run when they assume each play is a run.

TJ needs to hit that pass. No if ands about it. I think Booty would have made that throw and I hate him.
    Your problem my friend is that you think all of us are giving our starter a free ride when infact most of us realize he has and will have problems as he learns on the field.

What you focus on is the fact that you only see his flaws and don't equate that to youth. You feel the cat should be a instant star or out the door with him.

Additionally, you refuse to see issues/problems with the other positions (OL) that also contribute to his problems.

Go find me his jump pass video that you rant about.
    Let me break that one down for you.

;D
    Marr, you missed my post on my feeling for TJ. I realize that I had unrealistic expectations on him. I have chalked up some of the things I saw last season to him just being green. We all know that, he's green. Now I figured I have a choice, I can assume that he will never get it or I can believe that the kid is going to work hard this offseason to improve. Everything i have heard this season points to him working his butt off to be better. While I think his basement was pretty low and he had no reason starting, I think that he will be good enough next season. I don't hink a starting QB's skills are constant. I think at the start of the season they start off at like a 5 and as the season goes along their progress looks a bit like
    a stock exchange. TJ i would rate started off at a 3.5 last season peaked at an 8 and fluctuated up and down in between 5 and 7 all season. I expect him to start at a 5 next season and still have the fluctuations in his games but he may peak at a 9 and have an average range between 8 and 6. Basically my impression of TJ has changed greatly. I am really excited about the guy stpping in and being our QB.
    Well I would be lying if I said I didn't have any doubts in TJ but then I would also have to throw the following in there as well as I lump them all into the same catagory.....

...Thrown to the wolves and told to learn......

a.
    TJ
    b.
    Cook
    c.
    Gordon
    d.
    McCauley
    e.
    Rice
    f.
    Greenway
    g. Griff

Truth of the matter is, I expect all of them that are in the R to 3 year window to still show some gaffs but I also expect them to be better for the reps they have been taking on the field instead of holding clipboards.

Highs and lows my friend.
    Highs and lows. I expect to see alot more highs than lows is all I'm saying, especially out of the QB spot.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Chester didn’t hit the “rookie wall,” and he didn’t, “wear out down the stretch,” like he did last year.
    Chester Taylor had some nice games for us down the stretch.
    While AP was out, he ran for 164 yds vs OAK, and 77 at the Giants.
    After APs return he still managed 70 and 101 in the next two games, but did fall off to 31 vs. CHI and 14 vs. WAS Before finishing up with 83 at DEN.
    WAS ended up No.4 defense vs. the run on the season and No.8 overall.
    CHI obviously takes the North games more serious…nearly half of last years wins were in division.
    They also just happened to get a bunch of their injured defensive starters back right around that late point in the season.

http://www.nfl.com/players/chestertaylor/gamelogs?id=TAY110311

I guess it sounds like I’m making excuses for the two low games, and we can all agree that Tjack had rough starts to the last three games of the season…primetime and pressure was F’n with his head a bit (although he did play much better later in all those games.)
    The point I’m getting to is that its not any one person or thing’s fault we had low offensive output in those games, but the total sum of many effects.
    Facing teams with extra motivation and good defenses, coaching experience levels on those teams, player’s experience levels, key rookies getting injured and/or “hitting the rookie wall,” missed blocks, dropped passes, poor QB play to begin the game, lack of pass rush etc, etc, etc

That INT early in the WAS game was a crap throw, but there are 2 or 3 guys converging on Tjack as he gets rid of the ball…Hardly good protection, and not all that much time.
    Afterward, our defense makes a nice goalline stand, but the offense gives up a Safety...bad play call or just plain good defense?
    Ahh, so close, the ball is on the line…doh!
    Anyway, doesn’t look to me like Tjack did anything wrong there.
    On their next drive WAS scores on a 33-yard TD pass, putting them up 9-0 early.
    Then, in a quick summary, Longwell misses a 53 yard FG, Tjack throws another INT, and the Redskins score their second 30+ yard TD reception of the first half two plays later.
    Yes, its Tjack’s fault, but isn’t it also our pass D?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=29427&displayPage=tab_play_by_p lay&season=2007&week=REG16&override=true

Nice video.
    Thanks for the review!!
    Its nice to get some football in the off season!

On the first play of that WAS game, a huge hole opens up to the right.
    IF AP cuts right early, maybe that one goes the distance.
    Sounds like he may have been guilty of allowing the hit that caused Tjack’s fumble in OT @DEN.
    And possibly the early one at WAS.
    Exactly the types of things he’ll get better at with more film study, practice, and experience, improving our pass offense as he improves.

Wow.
    A year later, and I'm still just blown away by the way he plays!!
    Some of those leaping, spinning, bursting plays in the SD game are just straight freaking amazing!!
    Wow!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Look, I'm not saying that the extra men in the box didn't have a effect as it did but the truth be told, his knee coupled with the fact that all rookies hit the wall, probably had alot more to do with his reduced yards than what defensive fronts he faced.

;D
    Re-watch the clips you provided (thanks by the way, love to watch that cat run).
    You will see that I am right on this.
    Marr, I totally understand you. Wat I am saying to you is that our difficulty was not due to the zone blitz. We killed it early in the year and would beat it later in the year. Our difficulty was based on the coverage teams employed later in the year. The skins video should have shown you that it wasn't a zone blitz we faced. all 8 committed on almost every play. No D-lineman dropping back into coverage. What we saw was

S
    CB

CB

It's essentially a cover three but it's what we called an umbrella in HS. Most zone blitzes are ran with cover 3 but feature the Cbs bailing.
    This
    defense showed 8 attacking the line at the snap of the ball, which is not a zone blitz

S
    CB

CB

WB

DT

SB

S

X
    X
    MLB
    X

1 version of the zone blitz we ran in high school (sorry i played no defense in college as my backpedal was terrible)

During the Skins game i did not see that look or any exchange of the WLB and DL responsibility. What i did see was 8 players filling every gap and the corners keeping everything in front of them.
    It looks to me like the skins had a check off on this should we had comeone out in multiple WR sets. However, Childress caved and added additional players on the line to help out and placed the game in TJ's hands to beat. The results 14 points off of 2 INTS thrown in our side of the field.
    Not sure why I didn't spot this post sooner. I was at the game and agree. However the Skins had been running the cover three scheme and we had the tape. So yes. Old Joe Gibbs gave Childress a coaching lesson in that one. But I liked the fact Tarvaris did settle down and had the fumble/illegal substitution penalty gone our way. We may have comeback to tie or win.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Look, I'm not saying that the extra men in the box didn't have a effect as it did but the truth be told, his knee coupled with the fact that all rookies hit the wall, probably had alot more to do with his reduced yards than what defensive fronts he faced.

;D
    Re-watch the clips you provided (thanks by the way, love to watch that cat run).
    You will see that I am right on this.
    Marr, I totally understand you. Wat I am saying to you is that our difficulty was not due to the zone blitz. We killed it early in the year and would beat it later in the year. Our difficulty was based on the coverage teams employed later in the year. The skins video should have shown you that it wasn't a zone blitz we faced. all 8 committed on almost every play. No D-lineman dropping back into coverage. What we saw was

S
    CB

CB

It's essentially a cover three but it's what we called an umbrella in HS. Most zone blitzes are ran with cover 3 but feature the Cbs bailing.
    This
    defense showed 8 attacking the line at the snap of the ball, which is not a zone blitz

S
    CB

CB

WB

DT

SB

S

X
    X
    MLB
    X

1 version of the zone blitz we ran in high school (sorry i played no defense in college as my backpedal was terrible)

During the Skins game i did not see that look or any exchange of the WLB and DL responsibility. What i did see was 8 players filling every gap and the corners keeping everything in front of them.
    It looks to me like the skins had a check off on this should we had comeone out in multiple WR sets. However, Childress caved and added additional players on the line to help out and placed the game in TJ's hands to beat. The results 14 points off of 2 INTS thrown in our side of the field.
    I'm with ya know.

We didn't even know what a Zone Blitz was when I played (77, 78, 79).
    By the way, I played both sides but that doesn't mean I was any good.
    It just meant that we were desperate for players.....

Did you see all the links I provided on the variations of the Zone Blitz scheme?
    Might explain the difference between what you call a ZBlitz and what I call a ZBlitz.

When you see 8 and 9 man fronts, disguising who is coming from were and DL doing funcky things, then I equate those to fronts as ZBlitz's.
    I see. That might be the disconnect. I was always taught that it's whenever a lineman takes the place of LB during a blitz while you are running a variation of a zone. Don't hold me on that as I played FS and only learned enough to keep the opposing team from scoring(HS we ran cover 3 9 ou of 10 plays)

No, you are correct in that regard, but it also encompasses the lanes that the blitzers take to the QB/RB when the DL drops into cover (or not).

It gets to the "Variation" or "Blitz Packages" we saw coming out of that scheme.
    Alot of times we saw a all out ZB with no DL dropping into coverage especially when were were in a 2 TE offensive set.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789