Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress plans to retain his entire staff

I find it hard to believe that Frerraro sits on his hands all day doing nothing. Gap assignments is simple stuff but when one guy screws up the whole unit is let down. We did better as the year went on but we still had issues like in the Eagles game, DeSean returned one into field goal range, it happened all year. Big return then our defense stops their O but they still end up with 3 points.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    I don't know why people want Paul Ferraro gone. He has been here since the beginning of 2006. This is the first year I was left wondering what was going on. IMO it was the coverage. We will get a key guy back. This was a fluke this year and I think they will be fine next year.
    Its also the first year we saw:

a. Our punter continually punt to the middle of the field instead of outside the numbers.
    b. Returners continually trying to return up the middle instead of making thier first cut to the outside.
    c. Blocked FG's (ours).

I understand the man love for Heath, but he isn't gonna fix all of that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

This comedy keeps getting better.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    I just found this very intristing because I had just mentioned the Carolina Panthers Kicker John Kasay, this analysis compares the two and also compares him to our very own Ryan Longwell. There is some very intristing things on this kid, he's a very athletic individual, played Safety and Quarterback in High School leading them to the State Championship. It would not surprise me if we actually had him rated higher than Steve Hauschka but this kid was drafted in the sixth round.

Here is his draft page(lots of info), while this might seem boring to some these are little things that can make our specail teams better, if he's great at kicking off thats what I've been wanting for two years now.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/taylor-mehlhaff?id=1373#player-profile-tab-set-1layer-profile-tab-analysis

"Compares To: JOHN KASAY-Carolina Panthers...Both left-footed kickers are an automatic three-points inside the 40-yard line. Mehlhaff will need to quicken his approach a bit at the next level, but with the height and trajectory he is able to generate, the opposition will have a hard time trying to block his kicks. He greatly improved his kickoff mechanics as a senior and could make a very nice living just handling those duties. But, he's an outstanding poor-weather kicker in the Ryan Longwell mold. There are few left-footed kickers in the league, making getting into camp early to work with the holder and snapper necessary to establish chemistry. His leg strength makes Mehlhaff worth strong consideration on draft day."
    I like the kid.
    Posted a couple of things on him, mostly related to my efforts to get Coach Zauner back.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...8524#msg888524
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...8534#msg888534
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    fire everybody except childress and try to bring in a good coach for all the other things.

simple as that... even though its not simple and its harder than it seems
    Wow, Sam, that was pretty damn funny.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

On the subject of punting and what the punter is doing wrong, here is the video of the eagles game and the first clip is the big punt return. I have heard that the punter is the problem, not the coverage team so I would like for someone to explain to me where the problem was. I have been hearing that the ball should be kicked towards the sideline and it seems to me that this punt did that. Maybe I am wrong. It seems to me that the coverage team had 4 guys within a yard or so of the PR guy and that all of them missed the tackle and that the guy closest to the middle of the field failed to hold containment which allowed the PR to cut to the middle of the field and then to the far side away from the coverage.

Where would have been the proper place for kluwe to place the ball so that the coverage team would have been in a better position and was that display of missed tackles at the initial point of impact something that you would expect to see when the ball is placed where it was or did they just mess up?

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyaAvbhauc4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Edit:

Here are also the two that Bush ran back. The first was close to the middle of the field but the second was close to the right sideline and again he ran right by several guys who were out of position and could have made the tackle because the certainly were not blocked.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/epKm8UAt2Rw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    On the subject of punting and what the punter is doing wrong, here is the video of the eagles game and the first clip is the big punt return. I have heard that the punter is the problem, not the coverage team so I would like for someone to explain to me where the problem was. I have been hearing that the ball should be kicked towards the sideline and it seems to me that this punt did that. Maybe I am wrong. It seems to me that the coverage team had 4 guys within a yard or so of the PR guy and that all of them missed the tackle and that the guy closest to the middle of the field failed to hold containment which allowed the PR to cut to the middle of the field and then to the far side away from the coverage.

Where would have been the proper place for kluwe to place the ball so that the coverage team would have been in a better position and was that display of missed tackles at the initial point of impact something that you would expect to see when the ball is placed where it was or did they just mess up?

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyaAvbhauc4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Some of us can't see youtube at work, however, some of us will also contend that we have coverage issues.

Regardless, unless you are willing to post every punt that he kicked, then you really won't get much of a discussion going on this one.

Hard to do that, however, a good place to start would be the Iggles game.
    He kicked to the side but outkicked the coverage twice.
    Both times resulted in nice returns.

If I remember correctly Eric Frampton missed the tackle. Thats the inconsistency he has problems with, make a great play on specail teams then have a meltdown. Frerraro has nothing to do with him missing that tackle, I've seen him make that tackle before.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Some of us can't see youtube at work, however, some of us will also contend that we have coverage issues.

Regardless, unless you are willing to post every punt that he kicked, then you really won't get much of a discussion going on this one.

Hard to do that, however, a good place to start would be the Iggles game.
    He kicked to the side but outkicked the coverage twice.
    Both times resulted in nice returns.
    I added the Bush returns to the other post. That should give us more to look at.

I am not concerned with every punt, I am concerned with the ones that resulted in big returns so I would be willing to post all of them if it led to a discussion where somebody could demonstrate why Kluwe and not the tackling/coverage lanes were the blame.

If we can get to that point with these 3 returns I can dig up the other ones and we can break them down at that point.

IMO it has alot less to do with the kicks and alot more too do with gap controll and sound tackling. The Kickoff coverage was decent for most of season but I wouldn't mind a guy that can get it higher in the air and deeper in the endzone. Getting Heath back should help plus anyone we find in FA and the Draft.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast