Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress plans to retain his entire staff

I don't know why people want Paul Ferraro gone. He has been here since the beginning of 2006. This is the first year I was left wondering what was going on. IMO it was the coverage. We will get a key guy back. This was a fluke this year and I think they will be fine next year.

huxx is offline Pro-Bowler

"JDogg926" wrote:
    While our special teams was just plain bad for the majority of the year, and our overall coaching staff faces some deserved criticism, I think I actually like this move.
    Keep in mind, that although a lot of had Superbowl hopes, we improved from 8-8 to 10-6, we made the playoffs for the first time in 4 years, and we won our division for the first time in 8 years.
    Our coaching staff is not perfect, but our team has improved steadily over each of Childress's years.
    If we continue on that path, we could be a 12-4 team next year, with a legitimate shot at making a superbowl run.
    Also, I think we're lacking a special teams stud.
    In the past we've always had guys like Chris Walsh and Moe Williams, who might not even take a snap on offense or defense but made their presence felt in special teams throughout the game.
    I think Farwell's a "special teams stud".
    We missed him a lot this year.

I'm on the fence here.
    While I agree with you that we've improved, and I truly believe that we could be 12-4 or 11-5 next year, our offence is still very predictable and our ST just plain stunk.
    Marinelli said that he didn't deserve to stay; this is admitting the reality of the situation.
    With our performance this year, we should be making a change too.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think the biggest reason to not fire Paul would be because of the asending improvement of the unit. That tells me he got the guys on the right page, maintaining lanes, ect. Hopefully we begin right where we finished off and continue to get better. If Farwell gets Healthy thats huge.
    Isn't "better" the only direction we could go from where we left off?
    I thought most of major Specail Teams issues were earlier in the year, not later in the year. I know the first game of season we blew some coverage to the Packers, really blew it vs the Bears in Chicago and then blew it again vs the Packers at home. If i'm correct our specail teams was alot better as the season ascended. I would say KickOff Coverage could be better but so could the kickoffs, getting a guy that can kick deep has already been acomplished, I heard he's really good.

I thought toward the end of the season we played our best specail teams but there is always room for improvement, no doubt.
    who's to say he's even going to stay?
    Still has to make it through training camp and preseason.
    Nobody can predict wether he's gonna stay but we did give him a two year contract and he was a very sucessful at kicking out of the endzone. I think it was the Carolina Panthers who have two kickers and its been to there benifit because the guy kicking off gives the returner almost no chance to get a big play off.

He does have to make it through training camp, last season Steve Hauschka did not make the roster, I think we had plans for him on the Practice Squad but the Ravens had plans for him on the Roster.

If this guy comes into training camp and blows the top off of Kickoffs I think there is a good chance we have someone to do the Kickoffs.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Oh God.
    Three seasons of awful special teams and he still refuses to bring in a new coach?
    They have tried everything, including putting starters on that unit, and it still kills us.
    Any head coach with a clue would make a change.

fire everybody except childress and try to bring in a good coach for all the other things.

simple as that... even though its not simple and its harder than it seems

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think the biggest reason to not fire Paul would be because of the asending improvement of the unit. That tells me he got the guys on the right page, maintaining lanes, ect. Hopefully we begin right where we finished off and continue to get better. If Farwell gets Healthy thats huge.
    Isn't "better" the only direction we could go from where we left off?
    I thought most of major Specail Teams issues were earlier in the year, not later in the year. I know the first game of season we blew some coverage to the Packers, really blew it vs the Bears in Chicago and then blew it again vs the Packers at home. If i'm correct our specail teams was alot better as the season ascended. I would say KickOff Coverage could be better but so could the kickoffs, getting a guy that can kick deep has already been acomplished, I heard he's really good.

I thought toward the end of the season we played our best specail teams but there is always room for improvement, no doubt.
    who's to say he's even going to stay?
    Still has to make it through training camp and preseason.
    Nobody can predict wether he's gonna stay but we did give him a two year contract and he was a very sucessful at kicking out of the endzone. I think it was the Carolina Panthers who have two kickers and its been to there benifit because the guy kicking off gives the returner almost no chance to get a big play off.

He does have to make it through training camp, last season Steve Hauschka did not make the roster, I think we had plans for him on the Practice Squad but the Ravens had plans for him on the Roster.

If this guy comes into training camp and blows the top off of Kickoffs I think there is a good chance we have someone to do the Kickoffs.
    I just found this very intristing because I had just mentioned the Carolina Panthers Kicker John Kasay, this analysis compares the two and also compares him to our very own Ryan Longwell. There is some very intristing things on this kid, he's a very athletic individual, played Safety and Quarterback in High School leading them to the State Championship. It would not surprise me if we actually had him rated higher than Steve Hauschka but this kid was drafted in the sixth round.

Here is his draft page(lots of info), while this might seem boring to some these are little things that can make our specail teams better, if he's great at kicking off thats what I've been wanting for two years now.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/taylor-mehlhaff?id=1373#player-profile-tab-set-1layer-profile-tab-analysis

"Compares To: JOHN KASAY-Carolina Panthers...Both left-footed kickers are an automatic three-points inside the 40-yard line. Mehlhaff will need to quicken his approach a bit at the next level, but with the height and trajectory he is able to generate, the opposition will have a hard time trying to block his kicks. He greatly improved his kickoff mechanics as a senior and could make a very nice living just handling those duties. But, he's an outstanding poor-weather kicker in the Ryan Longwell mold. There are few left-footed kickers in the league, making getting into camp early to work with the holder and snapper necessary to establish chemistry. His leg strength makes Mehlhaff worth strong consideration on draft day."

"SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    fire everybody except childress and try to bring in a good coach for all the other things.

simple as that... even though its not simple and its harder than it seems
    Yeah not that simple, nobody that I know of needs to be fired on the Defensive side of the ball, the specail teams got alot better after the bye week but there are certainly improvements that need to be made and on Offense Too. Continuety is important, we will know alot more about the future of this coaching staff after next season.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I don't care about some kicker. Find me a shutdown CB and replacement for SS.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

"Vikes" wrote:
    I don't care about some kicker. Find me a shutdown CB and replacement for SS.
    Yeah thats your issue, Kickers are important, these are the little things that matter.

Our new SS is going to be Tyrell Johnson and nothing is going to change in terms of a shut down corner. Winfield is under contract and Cedric Griffin is playing very well.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"huxx" wrote:
    "JDogg926" wrote:
    While our special teams was just plain bad for the majority of the year, and our overall coaching staff faces some deserved criticism, I think I actually like this move.
    Keep in mind, that although a lot of had Superbowl hopes, we improved from 8-8 to 10-6, we made the playoffs for the first time in 4 years, and we won our division for the first time in 8 years.
    Our coaching staff is not perfect, but our team has improved steadily over each of Childress's years.
    If we continue on that path, we could be a 12-4 team next year, with a legitimate shot at making a superbowl run.
    Also, I think we're lacking a special teams stud.
    In the past we've always had guys like Chris Walsh and Moe Williams, who might not even take a snap on offense or defense but made their presence felt in special teams throughout the game.
    I think Farwell's a "special teams stud".
    We missed him a lot this year.

I'm on the fence here.
    While I agree with you that we've improved, and I truly believe that we could be 12-4 or 11-5 next year, our offence is still very predictable and our ST just plain stunk.
    Marinelli said that he didn't deserve to stay; this is admitting the reality of the situation.
    With our performance this year, we should be making a change too.
    we definitely miss Farwell but he's only one player and isn't responsible for poor coverage, missing lane assignments etc. yes the players are ultimately the ones that have to perform but the ST coach/co-ordinator/'whatever he's called' needs to extract his head from where the sun doesn't shine and perform as well - something Ferraro doesn't do.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast