Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress: Money was Culpepper's main focus

[size=18px]Childress: Money was Culpepper's main focus[/size]

On those rare occasions when the new Vikings coach and Daunte Culpepper talked before he was traded, the team's needs never came first.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: March 16, 2006 – 11:21 PM

Vikings coach Brad Childress admits that Daunte Culpepper obviously has some talent and, as a coach, one hates to lose talented players. Culpepper was traded to the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday.

"But a franchise quarterback, or a quarterback and head coach, have got to be in lockstep," Childress said Thursday. "It doesn't work. It doesn't work unless those two guys are walking as one, particularly with me being an offensive head coach and him being a quarterback."

For some reason, Culpepper and Childress never got a chance to talk football.

"Somewhere there is a buy-in factor. I just didn't think that that was the case," Childress said. "Right from the beginning. As I mentioned, I never had a conversation with him about this football team. It was always about what he needed financially and money. I never heard team, I always heard me and I and 'I need 10 million dollars. I'm a 10 million-dollar-a-year quarterback.' It's the kind of things I talked to you about before."

Childress said he expected something different when he took the Vikings job.

"It's a shame, but it is what it is," Childress said. "I gotta tell you, as I took this job, as I came in here, I thought, you know, 'I'm coming in here, I'm looking at Daunte Culpepper, Randy Moss is out of here, he'll be able to flourish now,' and I just found some different things," Childress said. "I do think he's changed in the last eight years. It's good for him probably to leave here based on all the goings-on. He can start over, and it'll be fine for us."

Chemistry important

"I've told every one of those free agents that have sat in this room, whether it's William Henderson or whether it's Steve Hutchinson, I want good people who are good players," Childress said. "We will win a lot of games with those guys. A lot of games. You always know exactly where they're at. You're never going to worry about if they're prepared, are they ready to go, they've done all the things you want them to do. I'm going to stick to that. I'm not going to vary from that."

Nobody, including Childress, knows how Culpepper will do on the field after his rehabilitation from major knee surgery.

"Well, you know, the mitigating factor is the injury," Childress said. "Just like with the Drew Brees thing [he agreed to a six-year contract with New Orleans on Tuesday but is coming back from shoulder surgery], the injury kind of clouds the water," Childress said. "Daunte plays the game a different way. He's not your Peyton Manning, pocket-type quarterback. He's got some movement skills that he's used to now. He's not going to have those forever. I would think this would change the way he plays a little bit. It'll be interesting to see if he's comfortable having to stick around."

I got to know Brad Childress personally when he was a member of the University of Wisconsin staff. There were times when I was closer to the Badgers staff and former head coach Barry Alvarez than I was to the Gophers staff.

They said there was a new sheriff in town when Denny Green took the Vikings job. Well, this guy will run a tighter ship than Green ever ran because there won't be any favorites such as former defensive backs coach Richard Solomon. The rules will be the same for each player from the start.

Childress showed a lot of plain guts in the way he handled the Culpepper deal. He will handle everything that way, and that is why he will be a winner. If you don't want to play his game, you won't be here.

Jottings

The Vikings definitely will play a league game at Miami next season, with the date to be announced by the NFL in the near future. If Culpepper is healthy, there will be a big buildup for that game.

Childress spent three hours at the Legislature, along with Vikings vice president Lester Bagley, and was well-received, talking football and trying to explain the Culpepper trade. Naturally, the Vikings are interested in some favorable reaction to their bid to build that $1 billion project to include a football stadium in Blaine.

The Vikings might be looking for a punter because Childress said the history of punters such as Chris Kluwe, who had ACL surgery, indicates they don't come back after the operation.

Former Vikings and St. Cloud State player Todd Bouman got a chance to start three games at quarterback for the Saints last season, and Bouman thought he had a chance to be the starter this season. But now that the Saints have signed Drew Brees, Bouman won't get that chance unless Brees' shoulder bothers him. ... Incidentally, the Vikings had no interest in Brees, and they should have first-hand information because new vice president of player personnel Fran Foley was with the Chargers for the past three years as director of pro scouting and certainly knew the seriousness of Brees' shoulder operation.

Lyndale Burleson, brother of Vikings wide receiver Nate, is a freshman basketball player for Nevada and played about 15 minutes per game this season. ... Tasha Williams, wife of Vikings defensive tackle Kevin, is a starting guard on the NCAA-bound Louisiana Tech women's basketball team. She was named the Western Athletic Conference tournament player of the year. ... Dick Wildung, 85, one of the all-time great Gophers football players (1940-42), died March 15 at the University of Minnesota hospital.

Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on WCCO 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. • [email protected]

Childress: Money was Culpepper's main focus

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Childress: Money was Culpepper's main focus

I guess Childress talking to the press puts Tommy Powers' whining article into the Hall of Shame. Hey Tommy, did you ever consider that it was you?

Good article, sheds light on a few issues. Brees was never in the running and the Kluwe/need a punter ordeal.

I love Childress' attitude, chemistry. Team chemistry. Good people that are good at their job. Everyone treated the same. Translation: perform, the name recognition won't help you if you can't perform.

Rock on Childress.

Del Rio Guest

For as much as this guy lives in a bunker, we sure do get a lot of news.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Childress. He wasn't playing my game, he wanted to talk money I wanted to talk team. Too bad so sad. C-ya later.

Bonus points for Childress in my book....4.2 bonus points....good job Brad.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Childress showed a lot of plain guts in the way he handled the Culpepper deal.

:grin: Go get 'em Childress!

The Vikings definitely will play a league game at Miami next season, with the date to be announced by the NFL in the near future. If Culpepper is healthy, there will be a big buildup for that game.

I bet the league schedules this game for late in the season for this very reason. They know a Vikings vs Fins matchup with Pep at QB will draw a lot of attention.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikings might be looking for a punter because Childress said the history of punters such as Chris Kluwe, who had ACL surgery, indicates they don't come back after the operation.

I don't like that right there. Kluwe is awesome.. I really hope he comes back from that injury. It would be a shame to have a guy like that on your roster for only a year.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Totally agree VikesfaninWis.. I really hope Kluwe makes it back. To be honest I'm struggling with why he can't. Being English and a (true) football fan, I've seen many football players come back from knee ligament injuries, broken legs, broken ankles etc. It might take between 6 months and 12 months but it can be done. For example, here's a shocker that happened recently:

"Alan Smith, the Manchester United player, yesterday underwent operations on the broken leg and dislocated ankle suffered so horrifically at Anfield.

The England international is expected to have his leg in plaster for up to two months before doctors can assess the extent of ligament damage. Smith has been reassured he should be able to resume his career, although probably not for at least nine months."

http://www.arts.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/02/20/sfnman20.xml

Alan Smith broke his leg AND ankle, and as a result has suffered ligament damage that CANNOT EVEN BE ASSESSED YET! Yet the prognosis is 9 months to 12 months.

I know this post in long-winded, but my point is if a footballer can come back from an injury such as Alan Smith has suffered, then a Punter can come back from an ACL injury.

nfl-forums is offline Rookie

I think it is rather unfortunate the way things went down. I understand why Childress did what he did, and ultimately I support him. I do think, however, that there is a history there that he was not looking at (the understanding on Pepp's side that there would be a renegotiation).

Overall, though, I think once he gets the people he wants he will be a good coach. There will probably be some pain, but you can't expect to turn an organization around without some difficult moments.

Prophet Guest

I sure hope you're right benet. I would love to see Kluwe back in form.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I do think, however, that there is a history there that he was not looking at (the understanding on Pepp's side that there would be a renegotiation).

Yes, but that should not have been the first and only order of business for any Pep/Childress conversations.

I agree though, there will probably be some growing pains, but we will get through them on our way to a SB victory!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

GemInI is offline Training Camp

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I bet the league schedules this game for late in the season for this very reason. They know a Vikings vs Fins matchup with Pep at QB will draw a lot of attention.
    /hopes they schedule it in Miami. I will definately road trippin to that one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast