Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Center

  1. #21
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180

    Re: Center

    IMO Sullivan will be fine. You will all be believers soon. It is that pile of crap that we have at RT. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I really don't like him. Maybe they will roll with Hicks. We still need depth.

  2. #22
    erik5032's Avatar
    erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oconto, WI
    Posts
    1,779

    Re: Center

    "marstc09" wrote:
    IMO Sullivan will be fine. You will all be believers soon. It is that pile of crap that we have at RT. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I really don't like him. Maybe they will roll with Hicks. We still need depth.
    Plus even Birk said he likes how Sullivan plays... if you have the backing of a may i say a Hall of Fame Center? then by all means he has my support.

  3. #23
    VikingsMB's Avatar
    VikingsMB is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    361

    Re: Center

    Between the coach, the oc, and the o-line coach they must have liked what they saw last year with Sullivan in order to be so passive last year with Birk.
    It appears there is no panic at Winter Park.

  4. #24
    huxx is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    496

    Re: Center

    "VikingsMB" wrote:
    Between the coach, the oc, and the o-line coach they must have liked what they saw last year with Sullivan in order to be so passive last year with Birk.
    It appears there is no panic at Winter Park.
    I haven't seen Sullivan play, but I agree with you.
    There must be a consensus about this guy.

  5. #25
    thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    694

    Re: Center

    "huxx" wrote:
    "VikingsMB" wrote:
    Between the coach, the oc, and the o-line coach they must have liked what they saw last year with Sullivan in order to be so passive last year with Birk.
    It appears there is no panic at Winter Park.
    I haven't seen Sullivan play, but I agree with you.
    There must be a consensus about this guy.
    i really hope he pans out well for us!

    thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

    and yes... that just happened!

  6. #26
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Center

    I certainly HOPE Sullivan is the guy.
    I honestly do.

    And that's all I have to say about this thread.


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  7. #27
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Center

    "BBQ" wrote:
    I certainly HOPE Sullivan is the guy.
    I honestly do.

    And that's all I have to say about this thread.

    Sullivan could be fine & I hope he is. I just don't like the fact that we are putting all our eggs in one basket & assuming he will.

    In 2005 the Vikings "assumed" that we had an adequate answer for center while Birk was out for the year. I for one remember how bad that was for the better part of half a season before the musical chairs at that position finally came to a halt after cycling thru Folwler, Goldberg & Withrow. Culpepper was getting pressured almost immediately after the ball was snapped & we had RB's getting tackled as the exchange from QB to RB was happening.

    What concerns me the most is depth on the line overall. Should Sullivan not pan out, we have Cook, who is probably better at playing behind center than he is at RT, but if that happens, then we no depth at any of the G or T positions because Hicks would start at RT & he is currently the only back up on the roster for the RT, RG, LG & LT positions.

    Anyone else they'd end up plugging in to spell or replace any of those 4 positions would be "green" rookies. if we draft any, unless they add some depth by picking up some veteran lineman.

    You simply just cannot lose 2 OL men on an already shallow depth OL squad & not expect to replace them with players that can play equally well as they did. If you don't, It's a downgrade to your line.

    Downgrading our team at any position is something I hate to see when our window of opportunity to win the SB is small. I just hope our front office has Plan "B" in place.


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Center

    "singersp" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    I certainly HOPE Sullivan is the guy.
    I honestly do.

    And that's all I have to say about this thread.

    Sullivan could be fine & I hope he is. I just don't like the fact that we are putting all our eggs in one basket & assuming he will.

    In 2005 the Vikings "assumed" that we had an adequate answer for center while Birk was out for the year. I for one remember how bad that was for the better part of half a season before the musical chairs at that position finally came to a halt after cycling thru Folwler, Goldberg & Withrow. Culpepper was getting pressured almost immediately after the ball was snapped & we had RB's getting tackled as the exchange from QB to RB was happening.

    What concerns me the most is depth on the line overall. Should Sullivan not pan out, we have Cook, who is probably better at playing behind center than he is at RT, but if that happens, then we no depth at any of the G or T positions because Hicks would start at RT & he is currently the only back up on the roster for the RT, RG, LG & LT positions.

    Anyone else they'd end up plugging in to spell or replace any of those 4 positions would be "green" rookies. if we draft any, unless they add some depth by picking up some veteran lineman.

    You simply just cannot lose 2 OL men on an already shallow depth OL squad & not expect to replace them with players that can play equally well as they did. If you don't, It's a downgrade to your line.

    Downgrading our team at any position is something I hate to see when our window of opportunity to win the SB is small. I just hope our front office has Plan "B" in place.

    That all makes sense however, we only keep 7 OLmen.
    How much depth can you really have with 7?

    One would think that they might have a plan to carry an extra guy (Unger can play C/RT/LT) along with the rest of the cast from last year, however, I believe that the DL issue will impact a strategy like that.

    My guess is that they (if they do at all) will try to have at least 2 extra DT's on the opening day roster to compensate for any suspension the might arise from the June hearings.

    Soooooo, with that said, watch to have a OL that looks something like this (Feel free to insert/replace backups? name with FA's/Rooks that could still be brought in......

    Mac



    Hutch



    Sullivan

    Herrera


    Hicks
    Radovich
    Hicks



    Cook



    Hicks



    Cook
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Center

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    I certainly HOPE Sullivan is the guy.
    I honestly do.

    And that's all I have to say about this thread.

    Sullivan could be fine & I hope he is. I just don't like the fact that we are putting all our eggs in one basket & assuming he will.

    In 2005 the Vikings "assumed" that we had an adequate answer for center while Birk was out for the year. I for one remember how bad that was for the better part of half a season before the musical chairs at that position finally came to a halt after cycling thru Folwler, Goldberg & Withrow. Culpepper was getting pressured almost immediately after the ball was snapped & we had RB's getting tackled as the exchange from QB to RB was happening.

    What concerns me the most is depth on the line overall. Should Sullivan not pan out, we have Cook, who is probably better at playing behind center than he is at RT, but if that happens, then we no depth at any of the G or T positions because Hicks would start at RT & he is currently the only back up on the roster for the RT, RG, LG & LT positions.

    Anyone else they'd end up plugging in to spell or replace any of those 4 positions would be "green" rookies. if we draft any, unless they add some depth by picking up some veteran lineman.

    You simply just cannot lose 2 OL men on an already shallow depth OL squad & not expect to replace them with players that can play equally well as they did. If you don't, It's a downgrade to your line.

    Downgrading our team at any position is something I hate to see when our window of opportunity to win the SB is small. I just hope our front office has Plan "B" in place.

    That all makes sense however, we only keep 7 OLmen.
    How much depth can you really have with 7?


    One would think that they might have a plan to carry an extra guy (Unger can play C/RT/LT) along with the rest of the cast from last year, however, I believe that the DL issue will impact a strategy like that.

    My guess is that they (if they do at all) will try to have at least 2 extra DT's on the opening day roster to compensate for any suspension the might arise from the June hearings.

    Soooooo, with that said, watch to have a OL that looks something like this (Feel free to insert/replace backups? name with FA's/Rooks that could still be brought in......

    Mac




    Hutch



    Sullivan


    Herrera


    Hicks
    Radovich
    Hicks




    Cook



    Hicks




    Cook
    That's all fine & dandy Marr, but you only list 6 linemen there, not 7.


    How good is Radovich? Is the line as we know it solid? Are you satisfied with that O-line or can improvements be made?

    We still have Daniels on the practice squad, but there is room for more. How good is Daniels? Can another FA or draft pick be brought in that would be better than some of those options?

    You just seem to be to complacent with what we have & not see the need for quality players on the line or quality depth.


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Center

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    I certainly HOPE Sullivan is the guy.
    I honestly do.

    And that's all I have to say about this thread.

    Sullivan could be fine & I hope he is. I just don't like the fact that we are putting all our eggs in one basket & assuming he will.

    In 2005 the Vikings "assumed" that we had an adequate answer for center while Birk was out for the year. I for one remember how bad that was for the better part of half a season before the musical chairs at that position finally came to a halt after cycling thru Folwler, Goldberg & Withrow. Culpepper was getting pressured almost immediately after the ball was snapped & we had RB's getting tackled as the exchange from QB to RB was happening.

    What concerns me the most is depth on the line overall. Should Sullivan not pan out, we have Cook, who is probably better at playing behind center than he is at RT, but if that happens, then we no depth at any of the G or T positions because Hicks would start at RT & he is currently the only back up on the roster for the RT, RG, LG & LT positions.

    Anyone else they'd end up plugging in to spell or replace any of those 4 positions would be "green" rookies. if we draft any, unless they add some depth by picking up some veteran lineman.

    You simply just cannot lose 2 OL men on an already shallow depth OL squad & not expect to replace them with players that can play equally well as they did. If you don't, It's a downgrade to your line.

    Downgrading our team at any position is something I hate to see when our window of opportunity to win the SB is small. I just hope our front office has Plan "B" in place.

    That all makes sense however, we only keep 7 OLmen.
    How much depth can you really have with 7?


    One would think that they might have a plan to carry an extra guy (Unger can play C/RT/LT) along with the rest of the cast from last year, however, I believe that the DL issue will impact a strategy like that.

    My guess is that they (if they do at all) will try to have at least 2 extra DT's on the opening day roster to compensate for any suspension the might arise from the June hearings.

    Soooooo, with that said, watch to have a OL that looks something like this (Feel free to insert/replace backups? name with FA's/Rooks that could still be brought in......

    Mac




    Hutch



    Sullivan


    Herrera


    Hicks
    Radovich
    Hicks




    Cook



    Hicks




    Cook
    That's all fine & dandy Marr, but you only list 6 linemen there, not 7.


    How good is Radovich? Is the line as we know it solid? Are you satisfied with that O-line or can improvements be made?

    We still have Daniels on the practice squad, but there is room for more. How good is Daniels? Can another FA or draft pick be brought in that would be better than some of those options?

    You just seem to be to complacent with what we have & not see the need for quality players on the line or quality depth.

    1. Mac
    2. Hutch
    3. Sullivan
    4. Herrera
    5. Hicks
    6. Cook
    7. Radovich

    Hmmmmm, I don't normally do math in public but that equates to seven to me.....

    As to complacency, I think I have been almost, if not more, vocal than you about upgrading the line.
    Problem between you and I is that I look at what we have, what the staff appears to be doing (absolutely nothing) and then I make comments.....

    Maybe, just maybe, the staff is happy with those guys regardless of what we the fans think.

    Again, I would love to see them carry more than 7 (see my comments), I would love to see them get a Vet or two in (Brown, Loper etc), however, it just hasn't happened now has it.

    As to the PS, as I've stated, my guess is they (as they have done in the past) will bring in several undrafted FA's to have a look, compete and the best of those will probably be relegated to the PS.

    Besides, even if I was as complacent as you say I am, what the hell can I do about it?
    To date the FO and the Chiller haven't once asked for my input...... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Birk the center of attention
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 02:03 AM
  2. Center?
    By damviking in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM
  3. Picture Center?
    By VikesFan787 in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 07:55 PM
  4. Sports center!
    By GreenBaySlackers in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 08:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •