Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: cedric griffin.......

"DublinOhioMike" wrote:
    i was rewatching a few games from last season and i must say cedric is horrific at tackling. there was one play that he didnt even try to attempt a tackle, instead he just tried to push the receiver over, which was half hearted. my father-in-law and i could not stop laughing at him. i think we need another option than him.......
    When he wraps up he's actually a very good tackling corner, but I think he gets lazy. I remember he got picked on in a few games and you could tell he was really gassed on the field, that's when the bad tackling begins.

And as far as other people talking about the cushions, I've been complaining about that forever now. It drives me nuts, it's an easy 5 yard completion every single time.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "DublinOhioMike" wrote:
    i was rewatching a few games from last season and i must say cedric is horrific at tackling. there was one play that he didnt even try to attempt a tackle, instead he just tried to push the receiver over, which was half hearted. my father-in-law and i could not stop laughing at him. i think we need another option than him.......
    I've been saying that for two years, but everyone else was harping on Smoot & didn't have time to notice or even bother to look.

He did play better last year & he is still young & learning, but tackling is one of the first things you learn.
    Nobody mentioned Smoot.
    But since you did, I felt Griffin took over for Smoot last year. Poor tackling technique and failure to wrap up.
    He was much better the first year. I just feel he " went pro " once he had the starting position locked up.
    I think he will be pretty good if he just concentrates on wrapping up with his arms when he tackles.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

j law 4 the vikings is offline Training Camp

Are we talking about the same Cedric Griffin?
    Man that guy is an animal, he can take the ball away and also he can deliver big hits.
    He's from Texas and his whole family has mad skills.
    Michael and his youngest brother coming out this year all will be great football players.
    The name Griffin is like Manning but only defence.
    Still we do need to update the cb skill because besides him, Winfield, and McCullay the rest of our db's suck.
    Anyways I was thinking about putting Elis Hobbs(ISU) into the mix, he's still a free agent isn't he?
    Maybe if we beg enough Prime time will come out of retirement.
    LOL

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"j" wrote:
    Are we talking about the same Cedric Griffin?
    Man that guy is an animal, he can take the ball away and also he can deliver big hits.
    He's from Texas and his whole family has mad skills.
    Michael and his youngest brother coming out this year all will be great football players.
    The name Griffin is like Manning but only defence.
    Still we do need to update the cb skill because besides him, Winfield, and McCullay the rest of our db's suck.
    Anyways I was thinking about putting Elis Hobbs(ISU) into the mix, he's still a free agent isn't he?
    Maybe if we beg enough Prime time will come out of retirement.
    LOL
    besides Winfield, McCaulley, & Griffin the rest of our CB's suck?
    We only have Gordon and Whitaker besides them lol.
    Whitaker isn't good, I would have rather kept Edwards than him, but I understand why they kept him, especially since he showed promise in NFLE.
    Charles Gordon, however, shows a lot of upside imo, and will challenge both Griffin and McCauley for the nickel spot.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "Freakout" wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of Griffin either.
    I grew tired of his 10 yard cushions - even on 3rd and short plays.
    His bad tackling as well as his horrible vision (when he is matched up 1on1 he does a horrible job at seeing the ball).
    I still remember how he was constantly picked on against the Jets.

Personally I think he should be at safety.
    He is a very good ball hawk when he is allowed to freelance.
    Those 10 yard cushions are part of the scheme. Smoot & Winfield did it as well, but Smoot was the only one ever to get chastised for it.
    Winfield isn't no where near as bad as Griffin when it comes to those cushions.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Freakout" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Freakout" wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of Griffin either.
    I grew tired of his 10 yard cushions - even on 3rd and short plays.
    His bad tackling as well as his horrible vision (when he is matched up 1on1 he does a horrible job at seeing the ball).
    I still remember how he was constantly picked on against the Jets.

Personally I think he should be at safety.
    He is a very good ball hawk when he is allowed to freelance.
    Those 10 yard cushions are part of the scheme. Smoot & Winfield did it as well, but Smoot was the only one ever to get chastised for it.
    Winfield isn't no where near as bad as Griffin when it comes to those cushions.
    On defense, a player doesn't chose his cushion. The defense called allocates it to you.
    His 10 yard cushion is what the coached called. Perharps it because he the DC feels he can't be any closer or perharps its the version of the Tampa 2 we run. Either way, CG doesn't have a choice on his yards off the line. Besides I think Griffen is a physicall corner who would love to play bump and run all day our of the cover 2( jam, read the RB ot TE coming out tot he flats, chase WR if nothing is in your zone)

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

You gotta be kidding me. He is going into his third year. He is steadily developing.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    You gotta be kidding me. He is going into his third year. He is steadily developing.
    Exactly, he certainly has some flaws, but he's young and has Winfield to teach him a thing or two

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Mr" wrote:
    "DublinOhioMike" wrote:
    When he wraps up he's actually a very good tackling corner, but I think he gets lazy. I remember he got picked on in a few games and you could tell he was really gassed on the field, that's when the bad tackling begins.

And as far as other people talking about the cushions, I've been complaining about that forever now. It drives me nuts, it's an easy 5 yard completion every single time.
    I've been saying that as well. People don't get to worked up about it, but two of those equals a first down, keeps are defense on the field & out of the hands of our scoring offense.

If it's one thing I want to see this year it's tighter coverage. I'm sick & tired of the defenders letting them catch the ball & then tackle them. I want to see a lot more balls knocked away this year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "DublinOhioMike" wrote:

I've been saying that as well. People don't get to worked up about it, but two of those equals a first down, keeps are defense on the field & out of the hands of our scoring offense.

If it's one thing I want to see this year it's tighter coverage. I'm sick & tired of the defenders letting them catch the ball & then tackle them. I want to see a lot more balls knocked away this year.
    OK now we are getting closer to the problem. I couldn't agree more. A pass rush would help our secondary. That's obvious.
    This bend don't break defense is effective at keeping teams from scoring once they get into the red zone. But it keeps the defense on the field too long.
    If you measure the defense by points scored against, it's pretty good. If you look at it's record against third down conversions, it;s not so good.
    I get tired of watching them hold on first and second down then allowing a pass underneath for an easy first down conversion.
    The offense tries to play 'small ball' eg.WCO and rule time of posession. But it hasn't worked well enough to keep the defense rested.
    The defense needs to find a way to get themselves off the field to get some rest.
    They need a pass rush and some tighter coverage on third down.
    Sorry to rant but that's the way it looks to me.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast