jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: CC: Vikings Front Office

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    [quote author=ThorSPL link=topic=41360.msg705034#msg705034 date=1199974905]
    Not gonna see too many ND or UMN players in the combine this year......

I would think the staff is still leery from the TWill incident, and the last few years have shown some quality drafting, so I'm not too concerned....

Wasn't Williamson inherited from the Red McCombs/Mike Tice era. I know there are some out there who know more but I think that would have been a different group of people making decisions

Yes he was

Tice was saying "you can't teach speed"
    Apparently you can't teach how to catch either!

Haha yah that was the goal

Personally I was pissed off about the pick.. As were many people

Alot of people saw that all he could do was run past defenders in college.. And his best season was like 600 yards or something.. Which alot came off of 2 plays

But that was a really dumb pick.. But since then we have had great drafts
    One of many horrible first round drafts by Tice.
    Yes, he did manage to snag a great player or two, like Kevin Williams.
    But we all know how that draft went down.
    [/quote]

Do you honestly think the Tice could draft the "First round WR" without input from the Ownership group, Executive Staff, etc etc etc.

LOL ! I stole that from Marrdro.
    ;D

I like watching the combine. It reveals raw atheletic ability and coordination and confirms perceived speed and strength. The interviews with potential prospects allows character concerns, attitude, and past defecits to be addressed.

I don't think the raw numbers are of much value unless they fall short of expectations.

And the combine is likely to be a very minor piece of the puzzle when it comes to selecting prospects.

Actual performance on the field has to be the primary consideration.

However I do remember seeing Robison at last years combine and thinking he would look good in purple!

What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Marr is killer in these threads!!

I agree Jargo

They look at alot more then the combine

I do think it's important.. But there is a lot more that goes into it then just that

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V4L" wrote:

I agree Jargo

I do think it's important.. But there is a lot more that goes into it then just that
    You and the Master Wine Maker are cracking me up.

Do you honestly think the Tice could draft the "First round WR" without input from the Ownership group, Executive Staff, etc etc etc.

I do hope to see Mr. Spielmans face a bunch in the upcoming months.
    I will be very interested to see if he can put together another fine showing like he did last year.

Not only did he pay attention to what Studwell and his crew said in thier scouting reports, but he listened to the head coach for what type (not by name) players they were looking for/needed.

Lets not forget that he throw in some very impressive moves (trading down which got us more picks and still got our guy) wich will help us even more in this years draft.

Coach Tice never ever had a front office work for him that way my friends.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I agree Jargo

I will be very interested to see if he can put together another fine showing like he did last year.

Not only did he pay attention to what Studwell and his crew said in thier scouting reports, but he listened to the head coach for what type (not by name) players they were looking for/needed.

Lets not forget that he throw in some very impressive moves (trading down which got us more picks and still got our guy) wich will help us even more in this years draft.

;D
    I honostly was shocked when Spielman was hired. I am very pleased with the job this group has done in the draft. I'm less happy with some of the free agent aquisitions.But overall they seem to work together well , and make good decisions.
    It is quite evident Scott Studwell and his scouting network are doing a great job. He deserves a shot at GM!

I can't wait to see what they are going to bring in this year.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I agree Jargo

;D
    I honostly was shocked when Spielman was hired. I am very pleased with the job this group has done in the draft. I'm less happy with some of the free agent aquisitions.But overall they seem to work together well , and make good decisions.
    It is quite evident Scott Studwell and his scouting network are doing a great job. He deserves a shot at GM!

I can't wait to see what they are going to bring in this year.
    I was right there with you.
    His history wasn't that great.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    I think alot of fans use the combine alot because you can't use college stats for much because of the difference in competition, schemes, surrounding talent. The combine is a bit of a leveler because all of the athletes are compared in a controlled enviroment. But, sometimes players are over hyped because of a good 40 time or number of bench presses.
    A good combine performance was pretty much the only reason Troy Williamson got drafted as high as he did.
    I think that says everything that needs to be said about the combine.
    I'd LOVE to have been a fly on the wall when whoever-it-was came up with the idea.

"College stats don't really give you much of an idea of how good a player really is.
    Let's have them do sprints and zig-zag between some cones.
    Then, let's have them do an intelligence test.
    Yes!
    This is a perfect way to gauge their talent, and the fact that no football is actually being played during the combine should not affect its accuracy at all!"

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"BBQ" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I think alot of fans use the combine alot because you can't use college stats for much because of the difference in competition, schemes, surrounding talent. The combine is a bit of a leveler because all of the athletes are compared in a controlled enviroment. But, sometimes players are over hyped because of a good 40 time or number of bench presses.
    A good combine performance was pretty much the only reason Troy Williamson got drafted as high as he did.
    I think that says everything that needs to be said about the combine.
    I'd LOVE to have been a fly on the wall when whoever-it-was came up with the idea.

"College stats don't really give you much of an idea of how good a player really is.
    Let's have them do sprints and zig-zag between some cones.
    Then, let's have them do an intelligence test.
    Yes!
    This is a perfect way to gauge their talent, and the fact that no football is actually being played during the combine should not affect its accuracy at all!"
    Alot of players drafted in the first round totally flop at the NFL level. Some were drafted high because of college and others because of the combine. Many Heisman winners do not cut it in the NFL, while some players that were not standouts in college excel in the NFL. A good scout will use all the information they can get to evaluate talent, ability, athleticism, and potential. The combine does provide valuable information to the scouting process.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123