Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Can anyone see us trading up in the draft?

"cogitans" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    The skins problem is they don't have a GM. Their owner isn't a football guy and he is making football descisions. I'm not against their spending, I'm against how they spend. They trade away their draft picks for veterens. I propuse we trade up and get a better selection of draft picks. They signed too WRs below 6 feet. There defense would have been alot better with ST still there and they have a young Qb. They also made playoffs and beat us, so how bad are we?

Also my lack writing skill lead to so many miscommunicatiosn between us. I never said we don't need our 4th 5th 6th and 7th.

I just don't think we need all of them. I expect us to trade up and get a stud player that we don't have to groom for 2-3 years. Don't forget alot of talent goes undrafted and most teams bring in a couple of undrafted
    guys.
    Do we really need 9 draft picks? and
    i expect us to sign 3 major FA but at least 6 total.

YOu never answered my response to the Pats. They stock pile first round talent that fits their system and we do not. That is the difference between winners and mediocre teams. Go thru the league and check the last teams in the super bowls you will see a great percentage of their players are in the 1st - 3rd range.
    We as an organization need to step up the quality of players we chase not the quantity.
    Thanks for the clarification my friend and yes I did answer your question, I just chose not to do it again as I had already posted the same type of info in a thread with almost the same title.

Couple of things out of a article I just read this morning about how important the draft is with respect to "Building" a roster....

Giants
    Of the 22 starters on this team 18 were drafted. (3 were former 1rst round picks).
    Seven were 2nd rounders
    one was a third
    three were 4th rounders
    three were 5th rounders
    one was a 7th rounder
    4 were undrafted.

Pats
    8 were 1rst rounders
    1 was a 2nd rounder
    5 were 3rd third rounders
    2 were 4th rounders
    2 were 5th rounders
    2 were 6th
    2 were undrafted

Although most casual fans would love the idea (and more importantly the hype associated with doing it) of moving up and making the big trade (ala the Saints and Ricky), it just doesn't make sound football sense to mortgage the bank and move up in the first round into the top 10 picks or so.

It just costs the team way to much with respect to the building blocks of the team when one looks at it and realiazes that although the draft is a crap shoot, it isn't that much of a crap shoot if a team has a effective scouting program and a BUTT LOAD of draft picks to take shots at players.

I believe Spielman (from our very little history of him as a Vike) will move around in the draft, but it will be in the later rounds 2-7 to get players they have targeted and believe someone else ahead of them will take (move up) as well as move down if they think a guy is gonna be there and another team wants to move up to get a player they are targeting.

By the way, Spielmans moving down last year and still getting players they wanted are the reason we are sitting pretty good with respect to picks this year.
    Can you imagine were we would be if we wouldn't have given up a pick for Holcomb?

Long story short......
    NO ONE IS WORTH MOVING UP THAT HIGH.

Draft picks, the building blocks of a team.
    They ensure a team always has a future. Something us Vikings fans haven't had for a long long long time my friends.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...9241#msg729241
    I don't want us to wait and miss the players we want like we did at Qb. Had we moved up and selected Cutler, we would be a better team.
    Cutler sucks. I hate those gunslinging throws. I'd take TJack over him any day
    I wouldn't.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cogitans" wrote:
    I actually thought Cutler was gonna be our QB.
    Truth be told, he really fits our scheme and, like TJ, is learning under fire.

Z will probably ping on me again, but I believe Foley screwed the pooch and should have tried a bit harder to get him.

Unlike this year, it wouldn't have been that costly to move up from 17 to 11 to get him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

Z will probably ping on me again, but I believe Foley screwed the pooch and should have tried a bit harder to get him.

Unlike this year, it wouldn't have been that costly to move up from 17 to 11 to get him.
    *ping*

Please provide the transcripts of those meetings!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

*ping*

=Z=
    LOL.
    They were destroyed with the Patriots tapes.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

*ping*

LOL.

;D
    You're the only person I know who also mocks up mock conversations to support the mock strategies of their mock drafts.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

*ping*

LOL.
    ;D
    You're the only person I know who also mocks up mock conversations to support the mock strategies of their mock drafts.

=Z=
    Now that there's funny, I don't care who you are.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

*ping*

LOL.

;D

=Z=
    Oh good lord.
    That is the funniest thing I've heard/read all day.
    ;D

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    The skins problem is they don't have a GM. Their owner isn't a football guy and he is making football descisions. I'm not against their spending, I'm against how they spend. They trade away their draft picks for veterens. I propuse we trade up and get a better selection of draft picks. They signed too WRs below 6 feet. There defense would have been alot better with ST still there and they have a young Qb. They also made playoffs and beat us, so how bad are we?

Also my lack writing skill lead to so many miscommunicatiosn between us. I never said we don't need our 4th 5th 6th and 7th.

I just don't think we need all of them. I expect us to trade up and get a stud player that we don't have to groom for 2-3 years. Don't forget alot of talent goes undrafted and most teams bring in a couple of undrafted
    guys.
    Do we really need 9 draft picks? and
    i expect us to sign 3 major FA but at least 6 total.

YOu never answered my response to the Pats. They stock pile first round talent that fits their system and we do not. That is the difference between winners and mediocre teams. Go thru the league and check the last teams in the super bowls you will see a great percentage of their players are in the 1st - 3rd range.
    We as an organization need to step up the quality of players we chase not the quantity.
    Thanks for the clarification my friend and yes I did answer your question, I just chose not to do it again as I had already posted the same type of info in a thread with almost the same title.

Couple of things out of a article I just read this morning about how important the draft is with respect to "Building" a roster....

Giants
    Of the 22 starters on this team 18 were drafted. (3 were former 1rst round picks).
    Seven were 2nd rounders
    one was a third
    three were 4th rounders
    three were 5th rounders
    one was a 7th rounder
    4 were undrafted.

Pats
    8 were 1rst rounders
    1 was a 2nd rounder
    5 were 3rd third rounders
    2 were 4th rounders
    2 were 5th rounders
    2 were 6th
    2 were undrafted

Although most casual fans would love the idea (and more importantly the hype associated with doing it) of moving up and making the big trade (ala the Saints and Ricky), it just doesn't make sound football sense to mortgage the bank and move up in the first round into the top 10 picks or so.

It just costs the team way to much with respect to the building blocks of the team when one looks at it and realiazes that although the draft is a crap shoot, it isn't that much of a crap shoot if a team has a effective scouting program and a BUTT LOAD of draft picks to take shots at players.

I believe Spielman (from our very little history of him as a Vike) will move around in the draft, but it will be in the later rounds 2-7 to get players they have targeted and believe someone else ahead of them will take (move up) as well as move down if they think a guy is gonna be there and another team wants to move up to get a player they are targeting.

By the way, Spielmans moving down last year and still getting players they wanted are the reason we are sitting pretty good with respect to picks this year.
    Can you imagine were we would be if we wouldn't have given up a pick for Holcomb?

Long story short......
    NO ONE IS WORTH MOVING UP THAT HIGH.

Draft picks, the building blocks of a team.
    They ensure a team always has a future. Something us Vikings fans haven't had for a long long long time my friends.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...9241#msg729241
    I don't want us to wait and miss the players we want like we did at Qb. Had we moved up and selected Cutler, we would be a better team.
    I wouldn't.
    It's possible that I'll end up regretting this one, but to me he's the new Rex Grossman, just without the injuries

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456