Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Calvin Johnson worth the price for Vikings

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Basically, the Vikes could gamble on the best prospect...and they might only have to move to #3 to get him...or they could be a bunch of chickenshits like Purplexing advocates and get two or three mediocre players who could ALSO get injured or not even pan out.

Sometimes you just gotta say, "What the floop"!
    Cajun for Pres!!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Nebvikefan is offline Rookie

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:
    Yeah i don't see the vikes moving up to get CJ either.
    I think if they did try to move up they wouldn't even attempt to move up any higher than #3.
    If the vikes weren't in the rebuilding mode like they are and CJ wasn't picked at #1 and #2, i could see them trying to move up.
    If i were making the decisions i would move up to #3 but it would be very costly.
    I would still do it though.
    I see the vikes trading down if AP, Quinn, or Gaines isn't there at #7 since they are rebuilding and need all the picks they can get.
    The main problem with trading down is that they have to find someone willing to trade UP for the seventh spot...and I haven't heard any rumors about teams clamoring to do that.
    I hope that we can trade down if the Vikes decide not to trade up for the BIG PRIZE...I mainly just want the Vikes to be willing to gamble a bit instead of just standing pat at #7 and reaching for a need instead of going after the BPA...or taking the BPA at a position that we don't really need to shore up.
    My biggest fear is that the BPA at #7 will be a DT, so then we either don't get our true needs filled or we take the next best value or the one after that and lose value at our pick.

>
    Cajun for pres!!!!
    Good post.
    I agree mostly.
    I think if we do get a DT, it won't be that bad.
    Especially if it is Okoye.
    I think he is going to be a STUD!!!
    He could always rotate with the Williams boys and be the man to take over when BigPat leaves.
    "If you need two yards, I'll get you three.
    If you need five yards, I'll get you three.
    "-Leroy Hoard

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Nebvikefan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:
    I think if they did try to move up they wouldn't even attempt to move up any higher than #3.
    If the vikes weren't in the rebuilding mode like they are and CJ wasn't picked at #1 and #2, i could see them trying to move up.
    If i were making the decisions i would move up to #3 but it would be very costly.
    I see the vikes trading down if AP, Quinn, or Gaines isn't there at #7 since they are rebuilding and need all the picks they can get.
    The main problem with trading down is that they have to find someone willing to trade UP for the seventh spot...and I haven't heard any rumors about teams clamoring to do that.
    I hope that we can trade down if the Vikes decide not to trade up for the BIG PRIZE...I mainly just want the Vikes to be willing to gamble a bit instead of just standing pat at #7 and reaching for a need instead of going after the BPA...or taking the BPA at a position that we don't really need to shore up.
    My biggest fear is that the BPA at #7 will be a DT, so then we either don't get our true needs filled or we take the next best value or the one after that and lose value at our pick.
    >
    Cajun for pres!!!!
    Good post.
    I agree mostly.
    He could always rotate with the Williams boys and be the man to take over when BigPat leaves.
    As long as we draft BPA at #7, we will be improving our team.
    Drafting for need with a high round pick is what gets teams in trouble.
    There is no player in the top 7 or 8 that I would be unhappy with getting.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"Nebvikefan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:

>
    Cajun for pres!!!!
    Good post.
    I agree mostly.
    Yeah...but I don't want to wait that long to get better...even though I WISH that we could get Okoye and that our other needs were already filled.
    I do think that Amobi will be a force in the NFL...much like KWill is now!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:

>
    Cajun for pres!!!!
    Good post.
    I agree mostly.
    Not even Alan Branch...when we already have the #1 run defense in the NFL?

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Welcome Travalhalla!

My thoughts....

CJohnson will likely be a good or a very good WR in the NFL someday.
    But not certainly; he could suffer a career-threatening injury, or could not perform at an elite level everyone seems to expect from him.

Much of the hype over CJ is due to the fact that his agent needs to boost him as high as possible in the draft to raise his commission, which is based on Johnson's contract.

Therefore, none of the negatives about Johnson will be heard by fans, but those negative aspects will be known to scouts analyzing both the positives and negatives.

Because the Vikings are in year 2 of a 3 year rebuilding plan, it makes very little sense to reduce the number of draft selections to move up for one player when there are several areas in need of upgrading; i.e. WR (two new players needed), QB, DE, RG, and possibly RB.

Trading up to get CJ will leave no first day picks to upgrade in areas other than WR.
    That is especially problematic because two quality WRs are needed, and upgrades at DE, RB and QB would greatly help the Vikings continue rebuilding with quality players.

The Vikings won't abandon a 3-year plan they have followed well for one-and-a-half years to acquire a WR who has a risk of not panning out due to poor performance or a career-ending injury.
    that's just a ridiculous last paragraph.
    if there was one player in the draft worth moving up for it's johnson, and honestly if they did it how can any of us complain.
    he will be an immediate impact and i believe you perplex as have many others said how we were in so many games last year.
    well if all we needed was one score to win a bunch of those games i'm pretty sure c.j. would be the one guy in the draft assuredly to provide that.
    if you are talking about rebuilding all the time moving up to take c.j. would be a nice piece to continue to build around
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

Nebvikefan is offline Rookie

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:

>
    Cajun for pres!!!!
    Good post.
    I agree mostly.
    Not even Alan Branch...when we already have the #1 run defense in the NFL?
    I know what you are talking about when you mean you don't want to wait to get better but i think a young energetic DT could do wonders for our defense.
    I don't think of Okoye as helping our running D, which is already pretty good, i see him at someone that can collapse the pocket.
    The Williams boys were great against the run but they had a hard time collapsing the pocket.
    I think with a little youthful surge on passing downs by Okoye could really help our defense.
    I guarrantee that he will find a way to put pressure on the QB.
    He is definitely a gamer and we could really use that, especially if we still have problems filling our DE pass rushing needs.
    You know what i mean?
    "If you need two yards, I'll get you three.
    If you need five yards, I'll get you three.
    "-Leroy Hoard

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My new mock draft scenario has the Fins releasing culpepper, then we pick him up on waivers and trade him and the #7 pick to the Raiders for their pick.

Man, thats gonna be cool. ;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    My new mock draft scenario has the Fins releasing culpepper, then we pick him up on waivers and trade him and the #7 pick to the Raiders for their pick.

Man, thats gonna be cool. ;D
    The two flaws with that idea is that if the Raiders want him, they'll pick him up off waivers. Daunte didn't want to play here a year ago & he won't sign with us now.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Since when is it a requirement to look for flaws in the wild haired schemes that get floated around here? at least mine lands us Calvin Johnson ;D

PS, I had the sarcasm icon turned on. Sorry you missed it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast