Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystery Man"

BOTTOM LINE...the Vikings need to take the "sure thing", regardless of position.
    I know that there are no REAL "sure things", but what I am talking about is taking someone who has the least amount of red flags, the one who projects well to be a SOLID, if not spectacular, pro.
    Better to minimize the mistakes when the stakes are the highest, especially since the Vikings are a team on the rise, with very good talent at several positions and possibly only a player or two from seriously contending.
    No time for mistakes right now, the Vikes have made enough of them in the past to last a lifetime.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

tclawmen is offline Starter

campbell is currently projected in most draft sites as being a late 2nd to early 3rd round pick. while I personally dont believe he will last to the 3rd round there is no way in heck he is worth our 17th pick overall.
    I would not mind
    taking an OT in the first and then try to get
    campbell in the 2nd but he is a huge risk in the 1st.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"tclawmen" wrote:
    campbell is currently projected in most draft sites as being a late 2nd to early 3rd round pick. while I personally dont believe he will last to the 3rd round there is no way in heck he is worth our 17th pick overall.
    I would not mind
    taking an OT in the first and then try to get
    campbell in the 2nd but he is a huge risk in the 1st.
    Campbell will be gone by the 10th pick of the 2nd round.
    If we take Merling the Jags will take Campbell. This guys best season was way better than Merlings.
    He recorded 84 tcks and 10.5
    Merlings best season was 78 and 7 sacks.
    I hope we get him. An OT in the 1st round is foolish unless we are trading up in the 2nd.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystrey Man"

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I don't want to gamble with this year's first rounder...the Vikes need to pass on him in Round 1.
    If he is still there in Round 2, then maybe he is worth taking.
    Even then, the Vikes need players that can step in and contribute from their first day picks.
    Second day is for gambling.
    Who do you suggest then? Merling... the amazing de that had 12 career sacks? 2 while playing along with Gaines Adams( a top 5 pick last year) Who screams gamble to you?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de

Campbell
    YR
    G
    Tck
    TFL

Sacks
    JR 13

SR 12

Merling
    JR 13

SR 13

Cambell is slicking because his SR was not as good as his junior year but it's still similar to Merling's Amazing Senior year. The fact is MIA wasn't very good last year and the highlights can show you that the guy was doubled and sometimes tripled team and still put up #s. I would look to see how the bat downs compare.

The only pro's I have heard about Merling is his versitility. However, a 275 lbs DT in the pros is a no no ( i'm talking to you Marr) I think you invision him being used like the Giants use Justin Tuck. The only difference is Justin Tucks amazing speed and ability. Merling does not appear to posess these tools. He is the DE i want the least at # 17
    Again with the "Sack Stat".
    He (nor Campbell) isn't a pure pass rusher nor should he be compared to one.

What is so hard to understand that teams actually look for a guy like Merling who gives them the versatility to eat up plays in a base defense as a guy who can not only stop the run but can seal the end and then rush the QB.

As I've pointed out repeatedly on here, if you continue to try to stack him up against the kids that will go as pure pass rushers his stats won't stack up, but if you look at him for the role he will be drafted to fill then he is a very talented kid.

One more time for possible penetration, Merling is a LDE in a base 4-3 defense.
    He isn't a sack/pass rush artist and its not fair to match/compare him to them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Jimmymeboy is offline Starter

Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystrey Man"

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    If he is such a physical talent AND a humble and hardworking player why didn't he do better with his workouts?...
    He is only human ;D
    We've all had off days.
    As much as I hate the prospect of drafting another DE in the 1st round only to have it crumble before my eyes, the more I read about Campbell the more comfortable I feel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234