Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystrey Man"

    "Garland" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I don't want to gamble with this year's first rounder...the Vikes need to pass on him in Round 1.
    If he is still there in Round 2, then maybe he is worth taking.
    Even then, the Vikes need players that can step in and contribute from their first day picks.
    Second day is for gambling.
    Who do you suggest then? Merling... the amazing de that had 12 career sacks? 2 while playing along with Gaines Adams( a top 5 pick last year) Who screams gamble to you?

    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de

    Campbell
    YR
    G
    Tck

    TFL


    Sacks
    JR 13

    84

    20.5

    10.5
    SR 12

    50

    12.5

    6

    Merling
    JR 13

    46

    10.0

    3.0
    SR 13

    78

    17.0

    7.0

    Cambell is slicking because his SR was not as good as his junior year but it's still similar to Merling's Amazing Senior year. The fact is MIA wasn't very good last year and the highlights can show you that the guy was doubled and sometimes tripled team and still put up #s. I would look to see how the bat downs compare.

    The only pro's I have heard about Merling is his versitility. However, a 275 lbs DT in the pros is a no no ( i'm talking to you Marr) I think you invision him being used like the Giants use Justin Tuck. The only difference is Justin Tucks amazing speed and ability. Merling does not appear to posess these tools. He is the DE i want the least at # 17
    I don't want Merling EITHER.
    Harvey or take an OT.
    Go DE in the second or trade the pick for Jason Taylor if possible.
    1) You would draft a OT in the 1st round? Lol... I hope we don't. Ot is one of those positions that do not require a player that high especially in our scheme. Playing next to Hutch will bring a 3rder along nicely. There is no need to take a OT that high.

    2) Jason Taylor will not be available for only a 2nd. You are looking at probally a 2nd and a 4th or 5th to get him. I'll take Campbell or the best player available ( Sweed, Phillips, Brohm). I really can't beleive tha Phillips is going to be around towards the end of the 1. Wow!

    I don't think your opinion is wrong. you are entitled to it.
    So what if the BPA available is a OT? But yeah I guess having a premier OT for AD to RB is not what we need.
    Just my belief. I don't beleive in taking OTs in the first round unless you are talking Franchise LTs( Pace, Ogden, Long, Thomas etc) I rather seek out talent in a later round and take BPA or address another need.
    I guess my belief that there are few OTs that I would draft over Kenny Phillips or Sweed or Bhrom regardless of need.
    In this draft there are only 2.

  2. #22
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystrey Man"

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I think that Campbell is getting murdered in the media. I think he should be 2nd of our DE board. I think I may perfer him to Harvey. My only issue with Campbell is he legs. Being 6'8 he has to get extra low to protect himself. I don't see that in the videos. I don't think his weight and poor 40 were a result of poor work ethic. I believe 1st round players all know what is at stake if they have a good combine. It's possible that he tried to put on some weight to increase his bench and it back fired. In none of those highlights did I see a guy that gave up on plays....

    AT this point if we cannot get Harvey... I switch picks with the Jags to have them take Merling and grab Campbell and a 3rd rounder if possible. I really like this guy.

    Merling = teh sukorz
    He's still not worth the gamble in the first round.
    Who is?
    Lol no one is worth any gamble and nothing is certain. Remember when R. Gallery was seen to be a lock to be a pro bowler? What happened? Do you think that was seen to be a gamble? I just don't see how he can be seen as a gamble and merling isn't. Drafting a college De with 12 sacks over a career is idiotic if youa sk me. He is living off of the Adams hype. You don't think drafting a DE that has never double digit sacks in a career and plays in a crappy confrence and is a YEAR REMOVED FROM A 2 SACK SEASON is a risk? That screams FLOP to me in Neon flashing letters...kinda like this

    [move][glow=red,2,300]FLop, Flop Flop[/glow][/move]
    Peterson was worth the gamble.
    Because he worked out. Had he not...you would be hearing everyoen saying...the Vikings saw the signs that this guy was injury prone and the ignored them. People tend to play both sides of the Fence. I loved Peterson and prayed that he fell to us (literally). I tell everyone that I was sick during our pick and I started crying because I was worried that we would pass on him. When his name was called i jumped out of my seat.
    My point is, a first round pick is a very valuable and can change your franchise around, wasting it can hurt any franchise. I think Merling is too big of a gamble.

    I say don't look only at his combine...Look at his play. This quote stands out the most to me.

    http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1256
    He uses his hands well, which is no wonder because he played tight end during his high school days. His junior season was somewhat of a let down to some by compiling six sacks; those numbers are a bit deceiving because Campbell was one of the most disruptive forces the ACC had to offer. Following his junior campaign, he was an All-ACC honorable mention
    I AGREE on Merling...I like him less than Campbell.
    I just don't think that Campbell is worth a first-rounder either.
    We are closer on this than you think.

    Peterson wasn't a gamble in my opinion last year...and I would have been pissed off if the Vikings had let his minor injuries stop them from picking him.
    He was a "can't miss" in my book...and I went on record before the draft last year as saying that.
    I think that Harvey is can't miss as well...but not Campbell or Merling.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  3. #23
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystrey Man"

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=44117.msg760550#msg760550 date=1208399428]
    I think that Campbell is getting murdered in the media. I think he should be 2nd of our DE board. I think I may perfer him to Harvey. My only issue with Campbell is he legs. Being 6'8 he has to get extra low to protect himself. I don't see that in the videos. I don't think his weight and poor 40 were a result of poor work ethic. I believe 1st round players all know what is at stake if they have a good combine. It's possible that he tried to put on some weight to increase his bench and it back fired. In none of those highlights did I see a guy that gave up on plays....

    AT this point if we cannot get Harvey... I switch picks with the Jags to have them take Merling and grab Campbell and a 3rd rounder if possible. I really like this guy.

    Merling = teh sukorz
    He's still not worth the gamble in the first round.
    Who is?
    Lol no one is worth any gamble and nothing is certain. Remember when R. Gallery was seen to be a lock to be a pro bowler? What happened? Do you think that was seen to be a gamble? I just don't see how he can be seen as a gamble and merling isn't. Drafting a college De with 12 sacks over a career is idiotic if youa sk me. He is living off of the Adams hype. You don't think drafting a DE that has never double digit sacks in a career and plays in a crappy confrence and is a YEAR REMOVED FROM A 2 SACK SEASON is a risk? That screams FLOP to me in Neon flashing letters...kinda like this

    [move][glow=red,2,300]FLop, Flop Flop[/glow][/move]
    Peterson was worth the gamble.
    Because he worked out. Had he not...you would be hearing everyoen saying...the Vikings saw the signs that this guy was injury prone and the ignored them. People tend to play both sides of the Fence. I loved Peterson and prayed that he fell to us (literally). I tell everyone that I was sick during our pick and I started crying because I was worried that we would pass on him. When his name was called i jumped out of my seat.
    My point is, a first round pick is a very valuable and can change your franchise around, wasting it can hurt any franchise. I think Merling is too big of a gamble.

    I say don't look only at his combine...Look at his play. This quote stands out the most to me.

    http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1256
    He uses his hands well, which is no wonder because he played tight end during his high school days. His junior season was somewhat of a let down to some by compiling six sacks; those numbers are a bit deceiving because Campbell was one of the most disruptive forces the ACC had to offer. Following his junior campaign, he was an All-ACC honorable mention
    I AGREE on Merling...I like him less than Campbell.
    I just don't think that Campbell is worth a first-rounder either.
    We are closer on this than you think.

    Peterson wasn't a gamble in my opinion last year...and I would have been pissed off if the Vikings had let his minor injuries stop them from picking him.
    He was a "can't miss" in my book...and I went on record before the draft last year as saying that.
    I think that Harvey is can't miss as well...but not Campbell or Merling.
    [/quote]

    No i understand that your only issue is taking him at 17. Which I agree. i don't think he isn't worthy of it but I think the risk is even higher. I would like us to trade back and take Campbell and pick up an extra pick. The more I see of harvey the less I like. He is starting to look like a bigger less athletic Groves.

  4. #24
    stateVIKE44's Avatar
    stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    342

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystery Man"

    Just a few observations from watching the Campell video (Yes, I know it's just a highlight):
    - Great first step, gets into his guy right away by using his hands
    - Great lateral movement for guy his size
    - Quick feet, good balance (a must at DE)
    - Great change of direction (he has a quick plant and go)
    - Doesn't give up on the play (but it's a highlight film)
    - Uses his hands very well, he doesn't let the OL get into his body

    These are all very important characteristics for a DE to have. I think he could definitely use some refining, but I also think we have a great DL coach who would be willing to work with him. The fact that he showed up to the combine out of shape, and then STILL didn't perform well at his Pro Day does not speak well for him. But, I would not be upset with this pick (I would rather it be in the 2nd round though).
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

  5. #25
    DustinDupont's Avatar
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,607

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystery Man"

    Hopefully he is there in the second, cuz i dont see us taken him with our first round pick

  6. #26
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystery Man"

    if he wasnt lazy and gain weight already id say take him in the 1st, but if he is there in the 2nd round and we didnt go DE in the 1st i say go for the guy

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    999

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystery Man"

    I just don't see anything beyond the size-adequate speed, adequate strength.
    He doesn't play with good enough leverage to overpower people.
    He isn't going to beat guys with his speed.
    He has a lot of physical talent but as a first round pick I wouldn't touch him.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    999

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystrey Man"

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=cajunvike link=topic=44117.msg760552#msg760552 date=1208399505]
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=44117.msg760550#msg760550 date=1208399428]
    I think that Campbell is getting murdered in the media. I think he should be 2nd of our DE board. I think I may perfer him to Harvey. My only issue with Campbell is he legs. Being 6'8 he has to get extra low to protect himself. I don't see that in the videos. I don't think his weight and poor 40 were a result of poor work ethic. I believe 1st round players all know what is at stake if they have a good combine. It's possible that he tried to put on some weight to increase his bench and it back fired. In none of those highlights did I see a guy that gave up on plays....

    AT this point if we cannot get Harvey... I switch picks with the Jags to have them take Merling and grab Campbell and a 3rd rounder if possible. I really like this guy.

    Merling = teh sukorz
    He's still not worth the gamble in the first round.
    Who is?
    Lol no one is worth any gamble and nothing is certain. Remember when R. Gallery was seen to be a lock to be a pro bowler? What happened? Do you think that was seen to be a gamble? I just don't see how he can be seen as a gamble and merling isn't. Drafting a college De with 12 sacks over a career is idiotic if youa sk me. He is living off of the Adams hype. You don't think drafting a DE that has never double digit sacks in a career and plays in a crappy confrence and is a YEAR REMOVED FROM A 2 SACK SEASON is a risk? That screams FLOP to me in Neon flashing letters...kinda like this

    [move][glow=red,2,300]FLop, Flop Flop[/glow][/move]
    Peterson was worth the gamble.
    Because he worked out. Had he not...you would be hearing everyoen saying...the Vikings saw the signs that this guy was injury prone and the ignored them. People tend to play both sides of the Fence. I loved Peterson and prayed that he fell to us (literally). I tell everyone that I was sick during our pick and I started crying because I was worried that we would pass on him. When his name was called i jumped out of my seat.
    My point is, a first round pick is a very valuable and can change your franchise around, wasting it can hurt any franchise. I think Merling is too big of a gamble.

    I say don't look only at his combine...Look at his play. This quote stands out the most to me.

    http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1256
    He uses his hands well, which is no wonder because he played tight end during his high school days. His junior season was somewhat of a let down to some by compiling six sacks; those numbers are a bit deceiving because Campbell was one of the most disruptive forces the ACC had to offer. Following his junior campaign, he was an All-ACC honorable mention
    I AGREE on Merling...I like him less than Campbell.
    I just don't think that Campbell is worth a first-rounder either.
    We are closer on this than you think.

    Peterson wasn't a gamble in my opinion last year...and I would have been pissed off if the Vikings had let his minor injuries stop them from picking him.
    He was a "can't miss" in my book...and I went on record before the draft last year as saying that.
    I think that Harvey is can't miss as well...but not Campbell or Merling.
    [/quote]

    No i understand that your only issue is taking him at 17. Which I agree. i don't think he isn't worthy of it but I think the risk is even higher. I would like us to trade back and take Campbell and pick up an extra pick. The more I see of harvey the less I like. He is starting to look like a bigger less athletic Groves.
    [/quote]

    With a way better burst off the line and more pass rush moves

  9. #29
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystery Man"

    "DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    I just don't see anything beyond the size-adequate speed, adequate strength.
    He doesn't play with good enough leverage to overpower people.
    He isn't going to beat guys with his speed.
    He has a lot of physical talent but as a first round pick I wouldn't touch him.
    You are wrong about that on so many points. Did you watch the 8 min long video? He is overpowering double and triple teams left and right.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/calaiscampbell.html
    1)A pretty good athlete
    2)Quick and plays faster than he times
    3)Good range and mobility

    4)Does a nice job in pursuit
    5)Holds his ground at the point of attack
    6)Does a terrific job versus the run
    7)Can work in space...Reliable tackler ;D
    8)Real productive..Terror in the passing lanes
    9)Could play in more than one scheme
    10)Durable
    11)Has some upside.

    I think at the end of the day he will be better than Harvey or Merling. Again, I say trade down and get another pick and then take him. He is more athletic than Harvey. Harvey is faster but this guy has alot of bat downs, ints, and TDs. I think he is going to be amazing.

  10. #30
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910

    Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystery Man"

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    if he wasnt lazy and gain weight already id say take him in the 1st, but if he is there in the 2nd round and we didnt go DE in the 1st I say go for the guy
    Guys don't get lazy after the bowl games. Most guys that are schedule to go in the first round team up with atraining agency or trainer and get to work. These guys put players thru a regiment designed to improve their testing. They recommend them to gain or lose weight (muscle mass vs. body fat). They condition players to the position specific drills that
    they will running at the combine.

    Assuming that he showed up out of shape is foolish without his BMI. He could have put on muscle mass and wasn't used to running and playing at that size. His playing weight was 278. You don't show up 15 lbs overweight. I rather belive that it was an error in his training regiment.

    Whats more important? His film or his combine results?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Chester Taylor Mystery.....
    By KevinK in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 07:48 AM
  2. The mystery of Ron Mexico
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 03:47 AM
  3. Hoffa Mystery continues
    By COJOMAY in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
  4. The "Mystery" G!!!
    By cajunvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 01:37 AM
  5. Tom Brady has Mystery Surgery!
    By cajunvike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 10:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •