Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystrey Man"

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I think that Campbell is getting murdered in the media. I think he should be 2nd of our DE board. I think I may perfer him to Harvey. My only issue with Campbell is he legs. Being 6'8 he has to get extra low to protect himself. I don't see that in the videos. I don't think his weight and poor 40 were a result of poor work ethic. I believe 1st round players all know what is at stake if they have a good combine. It's possible that he tried to put on some weight to increase his bench and it back fired. In none of those highlights did I see a guy that gave up on plays....

AT this point if we cannot get Harvey... I switch picks with the Jags to have them take Merling and grab Campbell and a 3rd rounder if possible. I really like this guy.

Merling = teh sukorz
    He's still not worth the gamble in the first round.
    You could be very right cajun, but I hope our scouting department takes a good look at him and determines wether he has bust writen all over him or if he has a bright future. Only time will tell and it is possible he has fallen from our board. I trust our staff when it comes to scouting players, I wouldn't draft a guy in the first If I didn't feel sure that he was gonna be succesfull. This is the decision we have to make on Cambell, with Harvey, Golston and Long most likely gone Cambell and a select few will be options at 17 if we go DE. Merling is a possibitly with injury concerns, Cambell has not been injured but inconsistent.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I think that Campbell is getting murdered in the media. I think he should be 2nd of our DE board. I think I may perfer him to Harvey. My only issue with Campbell is he legs. Being 6'8 he has to get extra low to protect himself. I don't see that in the videos. I don't think his weight and poor 40 were a result of poor work ethic. I believe 1st round players all know what is at stake if they have a good combine. It's possible that he tried to put on some weight to increase his bench and it back fired. In none of those highlights did I see a guy that gave up on plays....

AT this point if we cannot get Harvey... I switch picks with the Jags to have them take Merling and grab Campbell and a 3rd rounder if possible. I really like this guy.

Merling = teh sukorz
    Who is?
    Lol no one is worth any gamble and nothing is certain. Remember when R. Gallery was seen to be a lock to be a pro bowler? What happened? Do you think that was seen to be a gamble? I just don't see how he can be seen as a gamble and merling isn't. Drafting a college De with 12 sacks over a career is idiotic if youa sk me. He is living off of the Adams hype. You don't think drafting a DE that has never double digit sacks in a career and plays in a crappy confrence and is a YEAR REMOVED FROM A 2 SACK SEASON is a risk? That screams FLOP to me in Neon flashing letters...kinda like this

[move][glow=red,2,300]FLop, Flop Flop[/glow][/move]

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Calais Campbell "The Mystery Man"

Didn't he have bsd individual workouts as well? Bad combine is fine but you csn redeem yourself by having a good work out. If he is there is the second, which I think he will be nd the Vikes take him (like I said in my mock) I would be more than happy

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I think we are in very tough position if we want a DE in the first round, this is why I created this thread. I believe Harvey has so much hype around him somebody will take him before our pick, personally I'm not sold on him and see a lack of passion when playing. We draft guys that play with passion and energy.

I also wanted to state that Cambell was Junior this year, he's only 21.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Merling = teh sukorz
    Who is?
    Lol no one is worth any gamble and nothing is certain. Remember when R. Gallery was seen to be a lock to be a pro bowler? What happened? Do you think that was seen to be a gamble? I just don't see how he can be seen as a gamble and merling isn't. Drafting a college De with 12 sacks over a career is idiotic if youa sk me. He is living off of the Adams hype. You don't think drafting a DE that has never double digit sacks in a career and plays in a crappy confrence and is a YEAR REMOVED FROM A 2 SACK SEASON is a risk? That screams FLOP to me in Neon flashing letters...kinda like this

Peterson was worth the gamble.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I don't want to gamble with this year's first rounder...the Vikes need to pass on him in Round 1.
    If he is still there in Round 2, then maybe he is worth taking.
    Even then, the Vikes need players that can step in and contribute from their first day picks.
    Second day is for gambling.
    Who do you suggest then? Merling... the amazing de that had 12 career sacks? 2 while playing along with Gaines Adams( a top 5 pick last year) Who screams gamble to you?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de

Campbell
    YR
    G
    Tck
    TFL

Sacks
    JR 13

SR 12

Merling
    JR 13

SR 13

Cambell is slicking because his SR was not as good as his junior year but it's still similar to Merling's Amazing Senior year. The fact is MIA wasn't very good last year and the highlights can show you that the guy was doubled and sometimes tripled team and still put up #s. I would look to see how the bat downs compare.

The only pro's I have heard about Merling is his versitility. However, a 275 lbs DT in the pros is a no no ( i'm talking to you Marr) I think you invision him being used like the Giants use Justin Tuck. The only difference is Justin Tucks amazing speed and ability. Merling does not appear to posess these tools. He is the DE i want the least at # 17
    I don't want Merling EITHER.
    Harvey or take an OT.
    Go DE in the second or trade the pick for Jason Taylor if possible.
    1) You would draft a OT in the 1st round? Lol... I hope we don't. Ot is one of those positions that do not require a player that high especially in our scheme. Playing next to Hutch will bring a 3rder along nicely. There is no need to take a OT that high.

2) Jason Taylor will not be available for only a 2nd. You are looking at probally a 2nd and a 4th or 5th to get him. I'll take Campbell or the best player available ( Sweed, Phillips, Brohm). I really can't beleive tha Phillips is going to be around towards the end of the 1. Wow!

I don't think your opinion is wrong. you are entitled to it.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Merling = teh sukorz
    Who is?

I don't want Merling either...at all.
    If I had to choose between the two in the second round, I would go with Campbell though.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I don't want to gamble with this year's first rounder...the Vikes need to pass on him in Round 1.
    If he is still there in Round 2, then maybe he is worth taking.
    Even then, the Vikes need players that can step in and contribute from their first day picks.
    Second day is for gambling.
    Who do you suggest then? Merling... the amazing de that had 12 career sacks? 2 while playing along with Gaines Adams( a top 5 pick last year) Who screams gamble to you?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de

Campbell
    YR
    G
    Tck
    TFL

Sacks
    JR 13

SR 12

Merling
    JR 13

SR 13

Cambell is slicking because his SR was not as good as his junior year but it's still similar to Merling's Amazing Senior year. The fact is MIA wasn't very good last year and the highlights can show you that the guy was doubled and sometimes tripled team and still put up #s. I would look to see how the bat downs compare.

The only pro's I have heard about Merling is his versitility. However, a 275 lbs DT in the pros is a no no ( i'm talking to you Marr) I think you invision him being used like the Giants use Justin Tuck. The only difference is Justin Tucks amazing speed and ability. Merling does not appear to posess these tools. He is the DE i want the least at # 17
    I don't want Merling EITHER.
    Harvey or take an OT.
    Go DE in the second or trade the pick for Jason Taylor if possible.
    1) You would draft a OT in the 1st round? Lol... I hope we don't. Ot is one of those positions that do not require a player that high especially in our scheme. Playing next to Hutch will bring a 3rder along nicely. There is no need to take a OT that high.

2) Jason Taylor will not be available for only a 2nd. You are looking at probally a 2nd and a 4th or 5th to get him. I'll take Campbell or the best player available ( Sweed, Phillips, Brohm). I really can't beleive tha Phillips is going to be around towards the end of the 1. Wow!

I don't think your opinion is wrong. you are entitled to it.
    So what if the BPA available is a OT? But yeah I guess having a premier OT for AD to RB is not what we need.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

I'd have to agree on taking Cambell over Merling.
    Merling does nothing for me.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Merling = teh sukorz
    Who is?

Peterson was worth the gamble.
    Because he worked out. Had he not...you would be hearing everyoen saying...the Vikings saw the signs that this guy was injury prone and the ignored them. People tend to play both sides of the Fence. I loved Peterson and prayed that he fell to us (literally). I tell everyone that I was sick during our pick and I started crying because I was worried that we would pass on him. When his name was called i jumped out of my seat.
    My point is, a first round pick is a very valuable and can change your franchise around, wasting it can hurt any franchise. I think Merling is too big of a gamble.

I say don't look only at his combine...Look at his play. This quote stands out the most to me.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1256
    He uses his hands well, which is no wonder because he played tight end during his high school days. His junior season was somewhat of a let down to some by compiling six sacks; those numbers are a bit deceiving because Campbell was one of the most disruptive forces the ACC had to offer. Following his junior campaign, he was an All-ACC honorable mention

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast