Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Bennet

vikings6490 is offline Starter

Bye Bye Bennet

http://vikings.scout.com/2/501667.html

By Viking Update Staff

Date: Feb 22, 2006

In a five-year career that has been marred by more disappointment and injury than achievement, the Vikings let Michael Bennett and his agent know that they don't intend to have him back with the team in 2006.

Mike Tice seemingly had a vested interest in running back Michael Bennett. In each of the last two years, Tice had claimed that he expected Bennett to run for 1,300 or more yards. Instead, Bennett fell short of achieving even half of that total.

So it shouldn't have come as any surprise that Bennett won't be back with the Vikings in 2006. But what may have come as a surprise is that Bennett has been informed by the team that it won't be making any effort to bring him back.

Bennett was one of four veterans that have been informed that the team won't be bringing them back -- the others being cornerback Ralph Brown, third-string quarterback Shaun Hill and reserve center Cory Withrow.

Bennett has said his preference would be to sign with either the Packers or Cardinals. The Packers would allow him to stay close to his home in Milwaukee, while the Cardinals would reunite him with Dennis Green -- who drafted Bennett on the first round in 2001 following the abrupt retirement of Robert Smith.

Despite high hopes and several starting opportunities, Bennett rushed for just 3,174 yards. While that figure is eighth on the all-time team rushing list, it represents less that 40 yards a game in the 80 contests Bennett could have played in if not for injuries.

WEDNESDAY NOTES
    * VU has been told that the Vikings might consider using its franchise tag on cornerback Brian Williams, but we're not as positive. Williams sat out all of last year's minicamps in protest of not getting a new, larger contract, so it seems unlikely that he would take part in the offseason program again if he was slapped with the cornerback franchise tag of $5.9 million. VU has heard that the Packers are going to make a strong push for Williams if he hits the open market.
    * The team is expected to make a first-round qualifying offer of $1.55 million to wide receiver Nate Burleson, who becomes a restricted free agent March 3.
    * The Vikings signed cornerback Ronyell Whitaker Tuesday. Whitaker, who missed all of the 2005 season, played two years with the Buccaneers under defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

YES!!
    Thanks MF

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Bye Bye Bennet

There is already has a couple of threads going that has this info, sorry!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"vikings6490" wrote:
    http://vikings.scout.com/2/501667.html

YES!!

HELL YES
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Bennett's name was written no less than TEN times in the article you posted...yet you STILL misspelled it in the thread title???

:lol:

A PRIME example of a duplicative thread that should NOT have been created...post the article in the thread that was already created!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

HHmmmm! Green Bay? I think there's a soft spoken, read between the lines, "FU" directed at the Vikes ownership. You think he'll be motivated to burn our defense 2x a year to show us what we missed on???

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"sleepagent" wrote:
    HHmmmm! Green Bay? I think there's a soft spoken, read between the lines, "FU" directed at the Vikes ownership. You think he'll be motivated to burn our defense 2x a year to show us what we missed on???
    If we get Edge (or some other EVERY DOWN back), we won't be missing too much...sorry Michael but you are a one-trick pony...who hasn't even been doing your trick for us all that often the past couple of years.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

If he goes to Green Bay and "burns us up" then i will blame our defense not the staff for letting him go, he is, like cajunvike said, a one-trick poney!! he only has speed and thats it!!! so i say good riddens!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

personally i am glad to see him go. i want to see a featured back next season (no matter who it is, onterio, mewelde, or a off season aqusition) i have been ready to see him go for the last two seasons. The thing that bothered me about him was lack of strength and ability to break tackles, he hit the holes hesitant and that really bothered me. I hope to see onterio smith run with fullback lead blocking.

I have mix feelings about seeing him go. He could be a very good back but he did nothing for us.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

That son of a b**ch made me waste 75 dollars on his jersey!! haha j/k....Its somewhat sad to see him go...but he sucks ...so it evens its self out.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast