Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Brooks vs. Booty - 3rd QB competition is anything but heated

[size=10pt]Third QB competition is anything but heated[/size]

Veteran Brooks Bollinger and rookie John David Booty are battling -- cordially -- to become the Vikings' No. 3 quarterback.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: July 29, 2008 - 12:43 AM

MANKATO - No one would be surprised if they learned the relationship between John David Booty and Brooks Bollinger was a bit icy, or heck, downright contentious. The two are battling to be the Vikings' No. 3.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: Brooks vs. Booty - 3rd QB competition is anything but heated

Well i know who's winning this, we all know who is winning this and i bet they know who is winning this...
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Can you imagine the uproar if Bolliner was kept and Booty went to the practice squad and was lost?
    It's funny thinking about it in a sick and twisted sort of way.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

It’s hard to say who will win.
    I think with our coaches its definitely Booty.
    But if he doesn’t out-perform Bollinger, they might just have the best player on the roster mentality.
    And so far it looks as though Bollinger is there.

But remember, Booty is a rookie trying to learn the pro-game along the way against a guy who has played in the system, so there’s that big difference.

The thing that’s funny or makes this situation not good is this.
    If you bump Bollinger and keep Booty, even though he is a project, you run into a problem with Jackson.
    What if he has a great season and improves as much as everyone says he is.
    Booty is right behind him in age, so unless you plan to let him sit and learn from T-Jack for say 3 years; do you just get rid of T-Jack after that and give the reigns to Booty.

I just think its funny we went after a project this year, when really we still have a project in there.
    Logically, if this is the make it or break it year for T-Jack, then you wouldn’t need a project QB until next year.
    This year you would want the best back-ups you could have.
    To provide depth for Jackson’s possible shortcomings.

Now, if Jackson doesn’t improve and plays poorly, then you have a guy that you start grooming for the position.
    But Booty is being treated like the future when, if Jackson is as good as people hope he is still the future.
    So what do you do with Booty then.
    Atlanta ran into this predicament with Vick and Schaub.
    Schaub was a project that developed into someone that could compete with Vick, but Vick did enough to keep his starting role.
    So you basically have two young starters there.

IMO, you develop Booty, see what Jackson does this year.
    If he flops then you have Booty there still learning for a year or two then start him.
    If Jackson does well, you still develop Booty into a legit starter and trade him away for a decent price and start the cycle over again with another project.
    Again, it really just lies on Jackson and how he plays.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    If you bump Bollinger and keep Booty, even though he is a project, you run into a problem with Jackson.
    Booty is right behind him in age, so unless you plan to let him sit and learn from T-Jack for say 3 years; do you just get rid of T-Jack after that and give the reigns to Booty.

I just think its funny we went after a project this year, when really we still have a project in there.
    Logically, if this is the make it or break it year for T-Jack, then you wouldn’t need a project QB until next year.

Now, if Jackson doesn’t improve and plays poorly, then you have a guy that you start grooming for the position.
    But Booty is being treated like the future when, if Jackson is as good as people hope he is still the future.
    Schaub was a project that developed into someone that could compete with Vick, but Vick did enough to keep his starting role.

If he flops then you have Booty there still learning for a year or two then start him.
    If Jackson does well, you still develop Booty into a legit starter and trade him away for a decent price and start the cycle over again with another project.
    Yes, definitely a make or break year for Jackson.
    He doesn't need Peyton Manningesque numbers, just needs to win a few of those games where the D is doing their job.
    The last couple years the Vikings have lost many games by a score of less.
    If Favre comes in I think the coaching staff has been blowing smoke and they have already decided that Tarvaris is not the man and they plan on grooming Booty under Favre.
    If he doesn't, they're telling the truth and still think Tarvaris is the man.
    It's tough to find a franchise QB, GB was fortunate to have Favre play for them for so many years.
    It has been a loooooong time since the Vikings had a consistent QB at the helm, too long.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I would love it if Booty became a franchise type guy.
    He reminds me, talent wise, of Drew Brees.
    Who is a guy I love. Not the biggest, fastest, or strongest, but he gets the job done and well.
    He was given a raw deal in San Diego, but anyways like I was saying.
    I would love if we could get to the place where we had that type of game manager franchise QB that rarely makes mistakes and lays it all out every week.
    Somebody that could hand it off to Ad for the next 6-7 years.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    Who is a guy I love. Not the biggest, fastest, or strongest, but he gets the job done and well.
    I would love if we could get to the place where we had that type of game manager franchise QB that rarely makes mistakes and lays it all out every week.
    Yeah, when you mention it, he does. Besides from what you already said, both guys understands the game very well and both are famous for not having the strongest arm, but make up for it in great throwing accuracy.
    If Booty was the next Drew Brees, I would be more then happy.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Mr" wrote:

A very interesting post my friend, but I think you missed the mark.

The QB position is unlike any other on the team.
    You always have to keep addressing it almost every year or you will eventually get into the mix we were in when the Chiller took over the team.

If the staff would have addressed the QB position through the draft at least 3 or 4 times with Pepp under center we would have had a kid or two on the roster to step in when Pepp left as well as another guy in the wings being developed.

Instead we resorted to trying to find has beens or never weres to fill the void which didn't work, forcing us to watch a kid learn on the field.

The right way to do this is exactly the way this staff is doing it.

a.
    TJ - Starter.
    Will be the starter (if the coaches are right) for at least 2 more years.
    If he demands more money than the coaches want he leaves and you turn to the next guy in line.

b. Booty.
    Next guy in line.
    Groomed in the system for 2 or 3 years and ready to take over the team if you lose your starter to FA or injury.
    Team could resign him for backup money or let him go depending on his skills at the end of his contract.

c. Wright.
    Third guy in line.
    Begining of the grooming process.
    Able to take over as backup if you lose (a) or (b).

d. Kid drafted in 2009.
    Probably stuck on the practice squad as a project.
    Will move up the pecking order depending on what happens 2 or 3 years down the road.

Long story short, the goal is to develop your own QB instead of trying to go out and find a Vet like the regimes of old did.
    That way you ensure you have a kid always in the wings at some stage of development that is familiar with your system ensuring you don't have to go through what he have seen over the last 2 or 3 years.

Look to see this staff draft another kid next year and maybe, just maybe, skip a QB in the draft in 2010.

Again, very interesting post my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"HEY" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Yeah, when you mention it, he does. Besides from what you already said, both guys understands the game very well and both are famous for not having the strongest arm, but make up for it in great throwing accuracy.
    If Booty was the next Drew Brees, I would be more then happy.
    if he is like the next drew brees, then us fans better get ready for some growing pains.
    Remember, fans and coaches doubted him in San Diego, then had that one good year, and it was all good from there, but it took a while to get to that level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast