Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Broncos to Release Wilson

"Mr" wrote:
    This guy was also a great leader in Denver, we seem to have a strong leader on two of the 3 levels of defense, Pat Williams on the line, and Sharper in the backfield(I guess K Will and Antoine Winfield kind of are too) but don't have one at LB, and putting a real leader in the middle linebacker position of the cover 2 could really help us out.

I really hope we pick him up, that would make this slow off season totally worth it.
    I want no part of this particular risk.
    He was traded to the Giants and they failed him on the physical, so Denver was forced to take him back.
    Then they cut him.

Thanks, I'll be happy with what we have + Patrick Willis!
    :^)

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BritishVike is offline Rookie

I like the idea of getting wilson, as long as he's healthy, but at 29 is he too old to play ILB?How many seasons do u guys think he'll be able to play for?Basically what im saying is... is he a long or a short-term solution to leadership issues?

aceclown is offline Coach

"BritishVike" wrote:
    I like the idea of getting wilson, as long as he's healthy, but at 29 is he too old to play ILB?How many seasons do u guys think he'll be able to play for?Basically what im saying is... is he a long or a short-term solution to leadership issues?
    It all depends on a lot of factors, one being injuries.
    If he can stay healthy, theres no reason he cant be effective until he's 33 or 34. Just look at Donnie Edwards or Zach Thomas amongst others.
    I would bet he could be solid for another 3 or 4 years, but injuries have a history of disrupting that.

Chuch.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

He's a good linebacker, but I think we're set with Leber, EJ and Chad. If we signed Al Wilson he'd have to start, and that would mean pushing one of those three out of the lineup.. And I think they've earned their positions after last season (except for Chad, who will start because we've invested a lot in him and have high hopes).

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

29 is prime for LB's! The reason he failed the pysical is because of his injury, which isn't completely healed yet....I don't care if we sign him to a 1 year deal, SIGN HIM UP! He is a leader and eventually once his neck heals he will be a worthy backup or insurance in case our of our LB's stink it up (like EJ struggling at MLB again).
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    He's a good linebacker, but I think we're set with Leber, EJ and Chad. If we signed Al Wilson he'd have to start, and that would mean pushing one of those three out of the lineup.. And I think they've earned their positions after last season (except for Chad, who will start because we've invested a lot in him and have high hopes).
    So what if he pushes one of the three out of their position...they should have to beat all the competition out to earn their spots.
    And just because we invested in Chad doesn't mean he should start...look at TWill...you think he earned a starting spot.
    Heck, he was a HIGHER draft choice than Greenway!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    So what if he pushes one of the three out of their position...they should have to beat all the competition out to earn their spots.
    And just because we invested in Chad doesn't mean he should start...look at TWill...you think he earned a starting spot.
    I know I have said this before, but, The 53 Man Roster isn't set yet.
    :
    :
    :

Probably pick the guy up cheap because of the whole injury issues.

He was traded to the Giants and they failed him on the physical, so Denver was forced to take him back.
    Let him come in and compete for a position.
    If he is better than someone else, win win for us right?
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

davike is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    We all know you have man love for Wilson Cajun

I wouldn't mind competition, but we have already wrapped up all three starting linebackers with long term contracts. I think they would want to test them before bringing in someone like Wilson to challenge them. Plus Wilson might want more money then the Vikes want to spend just to add competition. I don't think putting up Greenway against Wilson would be fair, Wilson has plenty of experience and Greenway has virtually no playing time yet. More then likely he would beat Greenway out of his spot. But even if Greenway did win the position battle, Wilson would be a really expensive bench warmer. They already got rid of one expensive benchwarmer (Smoot) this season, I don't think they want another.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"davike" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:

I wouldn't mind competition, but we have already wrapped up all three starting linebackers with long term contracts. I think they would want to test them before bringing in someone like Wilson to challenge them. Plus Wilson might want more money then the Vikes want to spend just to add competition. I don't think putting up Greenway against Wilson would be fair, Wilson has plenty of experience and Greenway has virtually no playing time yet. More then likely he would beat Greenway out of his spot. But even if Greenway did win the position battle, Wilson would be a really expensive bench warmer. They already got rid of one expensive benchwarmer (Smoot) this season, I don't think they want another.
    I don't see anything wrong with signing Wilson to a 1-year deal and having him start over Greenway. That way you lessen the learning curve for Chad, who is basically a rookie, and also take pressure off of him. As the season goes on you eventually phase the young LB until he is playing 75-80% of the time over Wilson.

At the same time, Greenway is a first rounder and he sould be expected to come in and make an impact immediately. Seeing as Childress loves his young guys, I doubt Wilson will be signed.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

davike is offline Team Alumni

"V" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with signing Wilson to a 1-year deal and having him start over Greenway. That way you lessen the learning curve for Chad, who is basically a rookie, and also take pressure off of him. As the season goes on you eventually phase the young LB until he is playing 75-80% of the time over Wilson.

At the same time, Greenway is a first rounder and he sould be expected to come in and make an impact immediately. Seeing as Childress loves his young guys, I doubt Wilson will be signed.
    Wilson still has a few years of good football in him.....I don't think he wants to be someones 1 year tutor. My guess is he would want to go to a team he can retire with.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast