Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brohm

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Re: Brohm

"aaeyers" wrote:
    I don't agree with the "strong arm is optional" stance at all. A strong arm is important for every quarterback, regardless of the system. Just look at Favre, what he was known for best was his ability to cram the ball into the smallest gaps and make throws that nobody else would dare try, simply because he had the strongest arm in the league for most of his career. If you don't think arm strength is important, I've got two words for you: Brad Johnson. I think we all remember how well he did last year in this offense.
    I'm pretty sure his arm is stronger than BJ's was...
    Heck I think some of our grandparents could've given him a run in the arm strength category towards the end... /sarcasm off.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I was watching the re-air of the 1994 game between the vikings and bears, and the announcer made a comment I agree with.
    He said it doesn't matter how strong a quarteback's arm is, as long as he has it in his head.
    meaning, as long as the player is smart, and knows where to go with the ball, he can be successful.
    Many of the great quarterbacks didn't have cannon's for an arm, but they were great because they were accurate and smart.
    Fran Tarkenton didn't have a great arm, but he's considered one of the best ever because he was smart with the football (and also because no one could catch him then)
    to put that in perspective, Michael Vick is faster than Fran, and has a cannon for an arm, but is dumb with the football and inaccurate, which is why his is not a good quarterback

In a WCO, a strong arm is a luxury, not a requirement.
    emphasis should be placed on finding a player who is smart with the ball, and accurate and can get the ball off quick.
    Mobility is also not a bad thing.
    Brohm displays all of those, and IMO is better than Ryan.

imagine, if we had gone after Drew Brees, we'd be laughing and be in the playoffs.....
    Not sure if I agree with that statement 100%.

One of the more important criteria for assessing the potential of a quarterback to play in the West Coast offense is to what extent does he have the ability to throw a complete inventory of passes from screen passes to times, short passes to medium-range passes and down-the-field throws. Not having a complete inventory of passes in his arsenal does not eliminate a quarterback from a West Coast offense team's considerations, but it can be a meaningful factor.
    A guy with a "Not so strong arm" can run the WCO but a guy with a strong arm that can throw accurately will make the offense so much harder to defend.

If/When TJ gets the time to throw, he has the accuracy.
    Lets hope the coaches work on his accuracy when he is pressured.

;D

What about Joe Montana?

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

The scouts from NFL.com don't think Brian Brohm has a noodle-arm.

..Puts good zip behind his tosses when throwing from the outside hashes and demonstrates the balance and agility to drive back from center to get to his set point...Knows how to place the deep ball, despite not having a cannon for an arm, as he is very effective at laying the ball over the top and down the seam...Can make the toss to the boundary and has made steady improvement on crossing routes...Has worked hard to vary the speed on his throws to make the completion, displaying the timing and consistency to make all of his throws, putting enough zip on his attempts to connect from the outside hash...
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brian-brohm?id=198

Rock out with your cock out!!!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    The scouts from NFL.com don't think Brian Brohm has a noodle-arm.

..Puts good zip behind his tosses when throwing from the outside hashes and demonstrates the balance and agility to drive back from center to get to his set point...Knows how to place the deep ball, despite not having a cannon for an arm, as he is very effective at laying the ball over the top and down the seam...Can make the toss to the boundary and has made steady improvement on crossing routes...Has worked hard to vary the speed on his throws to make the completion, displaying the timing and consistency to make all of his throws, putting enough zip on his attempts to connect from the outside hash...
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brian-brohm?id=198

Brohm is very polished. I think his biggest knock is mobility. I think he can come in and challenge for a starting spot.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I was watching the re-air of the 1994 game between the vikings and bears, and the announcer made a comment I agree with.
    He said it doesn't matter how strong a quarteback's arm is, as long as he has it in his head.
    meaning, as long as the player is smart, and knows where to go with the ball, he can be successful.
    Many of the great quarterbacks didn't have cannon's for an arm, but they were great because they were accurate and smart.
    Fran Tarkenton didn't have a great arm, but he's considered one of the best ever because he was smart with the football (and also because no one could catch him then)
    to put that in perspective, Michael Vick is faster than Fran, and has a cannon for an arm, but is dumb with the football and inaccurate, which is why his is not a good quarterback

In a WCO, a strong arm is a luxury, not a requirement.
    emphasis should be placed on finding a player who is smart with the ball, and accurate and can get the ball off quick.
    Mobility is also not a bad thing.
    Brohm displays all of those, and IMO is better than Ryan.

imagine, if we had gone after Drew Brees, we'd be laughing and be in the playoffs.....
    Not sure if I agree with that statement 100%.

One of the more important criteria for assessing the potential of a quarterback to play in the West Coast offense is to what extent does he have the ability to throw a complete inventory of passes from screen passes to times, short passes to medium-range passes and down-the-field throws. Not having a complete inventory of passes in his arsenal does not eliminate a quarterback from a West Coast offense team's considerations, but it can be a meaningful factor.
    A guy with a "Not so strong arm" can run the WCO but a guy with a strong arm that can throw accurately will make the offense so much harder to defend.

If/When TJ gets the time to throw, he has the accuracy.
    Lets hope the coaches work on his accuracy when he is pressured.

;D

What about Joe Montana?
    Believe it or not, the WCO that we run is just a bit different than what Montanna ran because of the way it is defended now.
    He didn't have to worry about how defenders now defend the WCO.

Current WCO passers have smaller windows to throw to and almost have to throw the ball to that window before the WR even comes open.

Did you watch Brad Johnson try to get the ball to his recievers with his worn out arm? Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Joe or Brad, but Joe (he is one of my favorites) but he would have to work against these defenders.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kelmino is offline Rookie

I'm not 100% sold on T-Jack as of yet.
    I do think he needs another year to prove himself.
    But if he fails this year then what?
    Then we have no choice but to pick a QB next year.
    I think I'd rather have Brian Brohm then any of the other QB's in this draft.

If Harvey is at 17 I say we draft him.
    If not then we really need to consider taking Brohm.
    then try to trade our 2nd rounder to Miami for Jason Taylor who I keep hearing is possibly for sale for a second round pick.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Brohm poised to become solid pro QB[/size]

by Adam Schein
    foxsports.com

One year ago, if I was asked an open-ended question on who would be the top overall player in the 2008 NFL draft, the response would've included 3 names: Glenn Dorsey, Darren McFadden, and Brian Brohm....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Things will get very interesting for Brohm when Minnesota is on the board at 17, especially if Derrick Harvey is off the board. Brohm had an excellent meeting with the Vikings. He tells us (and scouts confirm) that he'd be an excellent fit in Brad Childress' West Coast offense, and loved meeting with the staff. Brohm's older brother Jeff, a former Louisville star, is close with multiple members of Childress' staff.

While I believe in Tarvaris Jackson's upside -- and the Vikes made a nice pick-up bringing in Gus Frerotte as veteran insurance/competition -- you can make an easy case that Brohm would represent the best player on the board when Minnesota is on the clock. And you could also make the case that if Jackson fails to live up to expectations this year, Brian Brohm is the Vikings' opening-game starter in 2009.
    That is almost verbatum what Adam Shine "Sirius Radio" has been saying for two weeks.

I talked with him yesterday on his show and he believes all of the top DE's and OT's that MN wants will be gone by 17 making Brohm the logical choice.

If in fact he is correct, and all the OT's are gone, I guess I wouldn't be to upset if they took Brohm at 17 and then went OT in the second and Lanford in the 3rd.

Not sure about you guys, but I am completely confused what will happen in the first round with several teams and not just the Vikings.
    Gonna be a fun draft to watch my friends.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would be pretty surprised if there are more than 2 OT's and 2 DE's off the board by 17. That would mean 1 in 4 players in the top 16 were taken at 2 positions. And if that is the case, then there will be very solid players available at multiple positions.

It will be an interesting draft.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I would be pretty surprised if there are more than 2 OT's and 2 DE's off the board by 17. That would mean 1 in 4 players in the top 16 were taken at 2 positions. And if that is the case, then there will be very solid players available at multiple positions.

It will be an interesting draft.
    theres a chance that 4 OTs and 3 DEs could be off the board by our pick
    the draft is so top heavy with O-line and D-line, its a little ridicuous

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast