Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brohm

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Brohm

Brohm is the ideal WCO QB with short accuracy and quick decision making.
    Pat Kirwan compares him to Drew Brees and Chad Pennington.
    If he is anywhere between those 2, we would win a Super Bowl with him as our QB.
    His arm strength is not bad, it is just not as impressive as Flacco or any other QB with a cannon-arm.
    His arm is just as good as Matt Ryan's, the number one QB in the draft.

That being said, at this point I'm pretty sure we will not draft him at 17.
    If we did get him it would be because we traded down in the first or up in the second to nab him.
    I'd feel pretty comfortable if we had Tarvaris, Frerotte, and Brohm as the 3 QBs on our roster next season.
    The organization does seem to have some interest in him, so it should be interesting to see what happens if he falls to 17.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I was watching the re-air of the 1994 game between the vikings and bears, and the announcer made a comment I agree with.
    He said it doesn't matter how strong a quarteback's arm is, as long as he has it in his head.
    meaning, as long as the player is smart, and knows where to go with the ball, he can be successful.
    Many of the great quarterbacks didn't have cannon's for an arm, but they were great because they were accurate and smart.
    Fran Tarkenton didn't have a great arm, but he's considered one of the best ever because he was smart with the football (and also because no one could catch him then)
    to put that in perspective, Michael Vick is faster than Fran, and has a cannon for an arm, but is dumb with the football and inaccurate, which is why his is not a good quarterback

In a WCO, a strong arm is a luxury, not a requirement.
    emphasis should be placed on finding a player who is smart with the ball, and accurate and can get the ball off quick.
    Mobility is also not a bad thing.
    Brohm displays all of those, and IMO is better than Ryan.

imagine, if we had gone after Drew Brees, we'd be laughing and be in the playoffs.....

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I was watching the re-air of the 1994 game between the vikings and bears, and the announcer made a comment I agree with.
    He said it doesn't matter how strong a quarteback's arm is, as long as he has it in his head.
    meaning, as long as the player is smart, and knows where to go with the ball, he can be successful.
    Many of the great quarterbacks didn't have cannon's for an arm, but they were great because they were accurate and smart.
    Fran Tarkenton didn't have a great arm, but he's considered one of the best ever because he was smart with the football (and also because no one could catch him then)
    to put that in perspective, Michael Vick is faster than Fran, and has a cannon for an arm, but is dumb with the football and inaccurate, which is why his is not a good quarterback

emphasis should be placed on finding a player who is smart with the ball, and accurate and can get the ball off quick.

imagine, if we had gone after Drew Brees, we'd be laughing and be in the playoffs.....
    I'm not going to derail this thread but it's hard to judge Vick as a QB since he had something like 3 different offenses, 4 diffirent OCs and 3 head coaches in his tenure at QB. Not exactly ideal conditions.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

I'm not going to derail this thread but it's hard to judge Vick as a QB since he had something like 3 different offenses, 4 diffirent OCs and 3 head coaches in his tenure at QB. Not exactly ideal conditions.
    Yet anyone could say he's a damn good running-back and be correct.

As a passer its negative to gray at best.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

if we would have signed Brees we would have never been in the situation to grab AD last year, he also had nagging injuries and was an iffy signing by NO, just imagine how Miami must feel, trading for culpepper instead of going after Brees,

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

if we would have signed Brees we would have never been in the situation to grab AD last year, he also had nagging injuries and was an iffy signing by NO, just imagine how Miami must feel, trading for culpepper instead of going after Brees,
    "whoops"

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

Not sure if I agree with that statement 100%.

One of the more important criteria for assessing the potential of a quarterback to play in the West Coast offense is to what extent does he have the ability to throw a complete inventory of passes from screen passes to times, short passes to medium-range passes and down-the-field throws. Not having a complete inventory of passes in his arsenal does not eliminate a quarterback from a West Coast offense team's considerations, but it can be a meaningful factor.
    A guy with a "Not so strong arm" can run the WCO but a guy with a strong arm that can throw accurately will make the offense so much harder to defend.

If/When TJ gets the time to throw, he has the accuracy.
    Lets hope the coaches work on his accuracy when he is pressured.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I watched some video of both Brohm and Ryan this weekend and Brohm may not have the strong arm that Ryan has, but he did display enough strength to get it down the field as far as he needed to and as far down the field as we need a QB to throw the ball.

I didn't like Ryan's mechanics. He never really set his feet at all and didn't step into his throws. He also lacks the lateral mobility that everyone but the Pats and Colts look for in a QB. it is hard to say how he will develop but it looks like he has a way to go before he is ready for prime time.

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

I don't agree with the "strong arm is optional" stance at all. A strong arm is important for every quarterback, regardless of the system. Just look at Favre, what he was known for best was his ability to cram the ball into the smallest gaps and make throws that nobody else would dare try, simply because he had the strongest arm in the league for most of his career. If you don't think arm strength is important, I've got two words for you: Brad Johnson. I think we all remember how well he did last year in this offense.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I watched some video of both Brohm and Ryan this weekend and Brohm may not have the strong arm that Ryan has, but he did display enough strength to get it down the field as far as he needed to and as far down the field as we need a QB to throw the ball.

I didn't like Ryan's mechanics. He never really set his feet at all and didn't step into his throws. He also lacks the lateral mobility that everyone but the Pats and Colts look for in a QB. it is hard to say how he will develop but it looks like he has a way to go before he is ready for prime time.

Both Qbs have a suspect arm.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast