Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: A Brief Look At Contract Issues

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I like how much of an issue people have made this out to be.

Speculating AD will be gone, Greenway will be gone, RE will be gone.

The only one that holds any weight is RE, with a slight possibility of Greenway, although he's already said he's going to play out his contract and not make a fuss. If it comes, it comes.
    So you don't agree with the premise that the author has with respect to why they all might be gone?

If in fact, that comes true, all of them will probably be gone.
    no.

When is the last time you saw a team have a complete firesale and let all their good players leave?

With how they've put together the team, I find it very had to believe they just let them all walk.
    The author ties it in to the Stadium issue, which can make sense. But, if we don't ahve a stadium, we have bigger issues than not having Rice, Edwards, Greenway and Peterson back.

Without those guys, we go from Superbowl contenders to top 10 pick contenders. Without some of the lesser guys like TJ, we're looking at top 5 even. The coaches aren't stupid (well.. maybe, but) They know the importance of having good players, and will make every attempt to get them back. Peterson MIGHT become expendable if Gerhart is the beast we all hope, but I can't believe we'd let him just walk for free.

Yes, some players get their contracts taken care of early. Some don't. I don't think its necessarily a reflection on individual season performance, but I think its 90% financial reasons.

For example, Peterson's up in 2 years. Lets say we get a new cap for 2 years from now. If we've got space taht year, I bet they re-work to use up that space as much as possible while freeing up space in future years for new signings.

Then again, without much room, negotiations will likely take backseat.

With no cap now, and no indication what the future might bring, I see why we're being cautious. Re-signing Rice, Greenway, edwards and Peterson will be very expensive. One or two of them will walk, almsost guaranteed. They won't want to shell out 50 mil this year on 4 players only to find out they screwed themselves in regards to cap space. What do you do then? Cut them and you get a cap hit. Trades are uncommon. Thats how teams like the raiders and redskins constantly get in cap trouble.
    Nope, the coaches aren't stupid, but is it really in thier hands if that comes to fruition?

Only way I see the Owner authorizing moneys for big contracts is if he already has a new buyer and that guy says go ahead and sign them.

If they don't have a owner on the hook, I could see them letting everybody walk. What harm is it to them?
    then again, you're making assumptions that a) Zygi's shopping the team

and b) said new owner will somehow magically take care of things

If zygi sells, Vikings are likely moving. If we get no stadium, Vikigns probably move.

If thats the case, There are issues greater than not having 4 players so its all moot.
    I am far from making that assumption my friend. The author did it for me.

On a side note, if in fact Zygi (and the rest of the ownership group) feel it is a lost cause, my guess is he is already shopping the team and none of us will ever know of it until he finds someone interested.

Rich people get rich. Mostly cause thier smart in alot of ways and one of those ways is secret networking on deals of this nature.
    You can rest assured the LA group has approached Zygi with a proposal.Why wouldn't they. They need to find a team.
    We seem to be in synch today. Agree, heck I bet some other venues have approached him, if he hasn't already approached a few on his short list.

Remember, he knows that market and knows the best places to go.

On a side note, I sure hope our UFL team doesn't mess up our chances if it might come up. :woohoo:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

You could put in stainless appliances, new cabinets and granite countertops and get more money for the house.

the article was pretty good until he went off on the firesale notion due to lack of stadium commitment, don't see it serving much purpose at all. I would guess the uncertainty in the cap structure has more to do with the contract extensions than anything else.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

tastywaves wrote:
    You could put in stainless appliances, new cabinets and granite countertops and get more money for the house.

the article was pretty good until he went off on the firesale notion due to lack of stadium commitment, don't see it serving much purpose at all. I would guess the uncertainty in the cap structure has more to do with the contract extensions than anything else.
    I think so too, but the author is throwing a little wood on a smoldering fire.
    Gives us more to discuss in the off season.
    It will be interesting to see if we hear others with similar takes on the situation.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:

It will be interesting to see if we hear others with similar takes on the situation.
    Been some real interesting articles out there on the Jags.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:

Jags would be the logical choice to move, considering their poor fan support.
    The Vikings have great fan support but no political support.And they may be the least expensive franchise in the league.
    They would be the riper plum so to speak.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

The only one that holds any weight is RE, with a slight possibility of Greenway, although he's already said he's going to play out his contract and not make a fuss. If it comes, it comes.
    So you don't agree with the premise that the author has with respect to why they all might be gone?

no.

When is the last time you saw a team have a complete firesale and let all their good players leave?

With how they've put together the team, I find it very had to believe they just let them all walk.
    The author ties it in to the Stadium issue, which can make sense. But, if we don't ahve a stadium, we have bigger issues than not having Rice, Edwards, Greenway and Peterson back.

Without those guys, we go from Superbowl contenders to top 10 pick contenders. Without some of the lesser guys like TJ, we're looking at top 5 even. The coaches aren't stupid (well.. maybe, but) They know the importance of having good players, and will make every attempt to get them back. Peterson MIGHT become expendable if Gerhart is the beast we all hope, but I can't believe we'd let him just walk for free.

Yes, some players get their contracts taken care of early. Some don't. I don't think its necessarily a reflection on individual season performance, but I think its 90% financial reasons.

For example, Peterson's up in 2 years. Lets say we get a new cap for 2 years from now. If we've got space taht year, I bet they re-work to use up that space as much as possible while freeing up space in future years for new signings.

With no cap now, and no indication what the future might bring, I see why we're being cautious. Re-signing Rice, Greenway, edwards and Peterson will be very expensive. One or two of them will walk, almsost guaranteed. They won't want to shell out 50 mil this year on 4 players only to find out they screwed themselves in regards to cap space. What do you do then? Cut them and you get a cap hit. Trades are uncommon. Thats how teams like the raiders and redskins constantly get in cap trouble.
    Nope, the coaches aren't stupid, but is it really in thier hands if that comes to fruition?

Only way I see the Owner authorizing moneys for big contracts is if he already has a new buyer and that guy says go ahead and sign them.

If they don't have a owner on the hook, I could see them letting everybody walk. What harm is it to them?

If zygi sells, Vikings are likely moving. If we get no stadium, Vikigns probably move.

If thats the case, There are issues greater than not having 4 players so its all moot.

On a side note, if in fact Zygi (and the rest of the ownership group) feel it is a lost cause, my guess is he is already shopping the team and none of us will ever know of it until he finds someone interested.

Rich people get rich. Mostly cause thier smart in alot of ways and one of those ways is secret networking on deals of this nature.
    You can rest assured the LA group has approached Zygi with a proposal.Why wouldn't they. They need to find a team.
    California needs to find 20 billion dollars to close their deficit for the current budget.

Purple Floyd wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

no.

California needs to find 20 billion dollars to close their deficit for the current budget.
    A sports team would be a good draw to bring in $$$'s to help in that area as well.

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:

The Vikings have great fan support but no political support.And they may be the least expensive franchise in the league.
    If I was looking to bring in a team, I would rather have the team that has a huge fan base than the one that doesn't.

Believe it or not, the Vikes have a huge following outside of MN and my guess, most of them won't hold a move against the team and will opt to follow the team to whereever it goes.

I, for one, have switched my stance. It won't be the same as cheering for them as a MN team, but I will still follow none the less.

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:

If I was looking to bring in a team, I would rather have the team that has a huge fan base than the one that doesn't.

Believe it or not, the Vikes have a huge following outside of MN and my guess, most of them won't hold a move against the team and will opt to follow the team to whereever it goes.

I, for one, have switched my stance. It won't be the same as cheering for them as a MN team, but I will still follow none the less.
    I won't. They move, I'm done with them.
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    Believe it or not, the Vikes have a huge following outside of MN
    And you know this how?

From what I've seen, and I've been around the US of A, Vikings fans outside the upper mid-west are far and few between.

Southern Ontario/New York area: hardly any. Lots of Buffalo Fans, lots of steelers fans. I've been to Florida a few times, and I see alot of everything there, since its alot of tourists. I had a chat with a Raiders fan when they still had Moss. He told me there's not alot of Vikings fans in Cali. Places like Texas/Arizona/OK, etc. they're mostly Cowboys/Fake Cards/Texans fans. Once the Rams start playing well, those fans will come out of the woodwork again.

In Canada, Around where I live to about Saskatchewan are alot of Vikings and Packers fans, since thats the closest team. Go further west, and you're looking at Seahawks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast