Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

A Brief Look At Contract Issues

Recently, there has been a lot of talk about the looming contract issues surrounding the Vikings roster. Fans tend to get nervous when their team has numerous big-name players sitting there with only one year left on their contract, which is where the Vikings are currently positioned.

This regime has shown a commitment to keeping the core together and that is reassuring, but there is one giant elephant sitting in this room which has yet to be addressed by anybody, and I will get to that after we take a quick look at some of the most pressing contract situations needing to be addressed by the Vikings front office.
    A Brief Look At Contract Issues
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: A Brief Look At Contract Issues

I like how much of an issue people have made this out to be.

Speculating AD will be gone, Greenway will be gone, RE will be gone.

The only one that holds any weight is RE, with a slight possibility of Greenway, although he's already said he's going to play out his contract and not make a fuss. If it comes, it comes.

i_bleed_purple wrote:

The only one that holds any weight is RE, with a slight possibility of Greenway, although he's already said he's going to play out his contract and not make a fuss. If it comes, it comes.
    So you don't agree with the premise that the author has with respect to why they all might be gone?

If in fact, that comes true, all of them will probably be gone.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

So you don't agree with the premise that the author has with respect to why they all might be gone?

no.

When is the last time you saw a team have a complete firesale and let all their good players leave?

With how they've put together the team, I find it very had to believe they just let them all walk.
    The author ties it in to the Stadium issue, which can make sense. But, if we don't ahve a stadium, we have bigger issues than not having Rice, Edwards, Greenway and Peterson back.

Without those guys, we go from Superbowl contenders to top 10 pick contenders. Without some of the lesser guys like TJ, we're looking at top 5 even. The coaches aren't stupid (well.. maybe, but) They know the importance of having good players, and will make every attempt to get them back. Peterson MIGHT become expendable if Gerhart is the beast we all hope, but I can't believe we'd let him just walk for free.

Yes, some players get their contracts taken care of early. Some don't. I don't think its necessarily a reflection on individual season performance, but I think its 90% financial reasons.

For example, Peterson's up in 2 years. Lets say we get a new cap for 2 years from now. If we've got space taht year, I bet they re-work to use up that space as much as possible while freeing up space in future years for new signings.

Then again, without much room, negotiations will likely take backseat.

With no cap now, and no indication what the future might bring, I see why we're being cautious. Re-signing Rice, Greenway, edwards and Peterson will be very expensive. One or two of them will walk, almsost guaranteed. They won't want to shell out 50 mil this year on 4 players only to find out they screwed themselves in regards to cap space. What do you do then? Cut them and you get a cap hit. Trades are uncommon. Thats how teams like the raiders and redskins constantly get in cap trouble.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

no.

When is the last time you saw a team have a complete firesale and let all their good players leave?

With how they've put together the team, I find it very had to believe they just let them all walk.
    The author ties it in to the Stadium issue, which can make sense. But, if we don't ahve a stadium, we have bigger issues than not having Rice, Edwards, Greenway and Peterson back.

Without those guys, we go from Superbowl contenders to top 10 pick contenders. Without some of the lesser guys like TJ, we're looking at top 5 even. The coaches aren't stupid (well.. maybe, but) They know the importance of having good players, and will make every attempt to get them back. Peterson MIGHT become expendable if Gerhart is the beast we all hope, but I can't believe we'd let him just walk for free.

Yes, some players get their contracts taken care of early. Some don't. I don't think its necessarily a reflection on individual season performance, but I think its 90% financial reasons.

For example, Peterson's up in 2 years. Lets say we get a new cap for 2 years from now. If we've got space taht year, I bet they re-work to use up that space as much as possible while freeing up space in future years for new signings.

With no cap now, and no indication what the future might bring, I see why we're being cautious. Re-signing Rice, Greenway, edwards and Peterson will be very expensive. One or two of them will walk, almsost guaranteed. They won't want to shell out 50 mil this year on 4 players only to find out they screwed themselves in regards to cap space. What do you do then? Cut them and you get a cap hit. Trades are uncommon. Thats how teams like the raiders and redskins constantly get in cap trouble.
    Nope, the coaches aren't stupid, but is it really in thier hands if that comes to fruition?

Only way I see the Owner authorizing moneys for big contracts is if he already has a new buyer and that guy says go ahead and sign them.

If they don't have a owner on the hook, I could see them letting everybody walk. What harm is it to them?

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

no.

Nope, the coaches aren't stupid, but is it really in thier hands if that comes to fruition?

Only way I see the Owner authorizing moneys for big contracts is if he already has a new buyer and that guy says go ahead and sign them.

If they don't have a owner on the hook, I could see them letting everybody walk. What harm is it to them?
    then again, you're making assumptions that a) Zygi's shopping the team

and b) said new owner will somehow magically take care of things

If zygi sells, Vikings are likely moving. If we get no stadium, Vikigns probably move.

If thats the case, There are issues greater than not having 4 players so its all moot.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

no.

If zygi sells, Vikings are likely moving. If we get no stadium, Vikigns probably move.

If thats the case, There are issues greater than not having 4 players so its all moot.
    I am far from making that assumption my friend. The author did it for me.

On a side note, if in fact Zygi (and the rest of the ownership group) feel it is a lost cause, my guess is he is already shopping the team and none of us will ever know of it until he finds someone interested.

Rich people get rich. Mostly cause thier smart in alot of ways and one of those ways is secret networking on deals of this nature.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re:A Brief Look At Contract Issues

Red let Moss go rather than paying him the 6 million payment that was due if he stayed, then claimed it was due to his behavior.
    What a crock.
    Red pocketed an extra 6 million and left the team in tough shape.

it's a business. It could happen again.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

no.

I am far from making that assumption my friend. The author did it for me.

On a side note, if in fact Zygi (and the rest of the ownership group) feel it is a lost cause, my guess is he is already shopping the team and none of us will ever know of it until he finds someone interested.

Rich people get rich. Mostly cause thier smart in alot of ways and one of those ways is secret networking on deals of this nature.
    You can rest assured the LA group has approached Zygi with a proposal.Why wouldn't they. They need to find a team.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Re:A Brief Look At Contract Issues

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Red let Moss go rather than paying him the 6 million payment that was due if he stayed, then claimed it was due to his behavior.
    What a crock.
    Red pocketed an extra 6 million and left the team in tough shape.

it's a business. It could happen again.
    Naw, the owners know the players are only in it for the love of the game now. All of them are going to give Zygi a discount so he doesn't sell the team. :lol:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast