Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Brian Williams gets transition tag

hopefully he will want to stay one year here and make some pretty good money and build his status for a big payday next year.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    this is good. hopefully we can get him for this season again. and if smoot has another wonderful year like last, then we know who will be starting opposite of 'toine for the next 4 years.
    This is not good see what I posted in the "We may lose BWill thread":

Sean Jensen (beat writer St. Paul Pioneer Press) just stated on KFAN radio that the Vikings used the Transition Tag on him which allows the Vikings to match any offer on him that could pay him an average of the top 10 CB salaries in the league. This is a way for the Vikings to resign Williams cheaply if there is no market for him.

However, Jensen told PA that it is about 99.99% that Williams will not be back with the Vikings because he doesn't want to play for the Vikings anymore and he feels slighted by the Vikings signing Smoot last offseason. Jensen said that even if the money is slightly more here he still sees Williams leaving and he said how can the Vikings justify overpaying to keep Williams with all the money they have tid up in CB already.
    Well, I hope that Childress and him had a nice diner anyways.

Maybe Childress talked him into it. Or might be able to convince him on how he can be a productive member of the Vikings.

He might hold out, he might not.

He might get a better offer, and then we get compensated.

Heck he might even get tagged and buy some time, we get rid of smoot and then we work out a new contract, long term. There are so many things that can happen without getting 99.99% pissy negativo about it like Sean Jean.
    Jensen is a pretty good beat writer and was pretty plugged in with what was going on with the Vikings, as for his speculation on the team with the new staff is yet to be determined.

But it seems from his talk that BWill has soured on playing for the Vikings and is somewhat determined to leave.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

he must be open to ideas if he was willing to meet childress over dinner to talk. if he was completely set on leaving he would have just declined to meet him i think.

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

If B. Will don't wanna play no more for us, den I sez, don't let da door hit 'im in da butt on da way out, y'know?

If you ain't got a poiple heart, you ain't got no business on dis team, I sez.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    Jensen is a pretty good beat writer and was pretty plugged in with what was going on with the Vikings, as for his speculation on the team with the new staff is yet to be determined.

But it seems from his talk that BWill has soured on playing for the Vikings and is somewhat determined to leave.
    That is nothing new, not being a smart butt, but it is the same thing that has been said since the season was over for the Vikes. Heck Sean might have been the first one to report it, IDK. But I do know that the TAG is restrictive, a player can't say well I am going to play for another team. B.Will's hands are tied. Sit out and not get paid or play and play well for a new day at the negotiating table.

Hopefully some new light of direction has been found between him and the HC and Tomlin.

aceclown is offline Coach

"skum" wrote:
    Lets see what happens... i mean if he's going to be a SS or if Winfield is.. or we will battle Smoot for the starting job.. - maybe this could be a move also to try and inflict Fred Smoot i an C-Pep trade now.. just speculating..
    it is very unlikely that the vikings will move winfield to ss- he is only 5'9. Williams' cap number will be 4.774 mil if he decides to sign.

Chuch.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    this is good. hopefully we can get him for this season again. and if smoot has another wonderful year like last, then we know who will be starting opposite of 'toine for the next 4 years.
    This is not good see what I posted in the "We may lose BWill thread":

Sean Jensen (beat writer St. Paul Pioneer Press) just stated on KFAN radio that the Vikings used the Transition Tag on him which allows the Vikings to match any offer on him that could pay him an average of the top 10 CB salaries in the league. This is a way for the Vikings to resign Williams cheaply if there is no market for him.

However, Jensen told PA that it is about 99.99% that Williams will not be back with the Vikings because he doesn't want to play for the Vikings anymore and he feels slighted by the Vikings signing Smoot last offseason. Jensen said that even if the money is slightly more here he still sees Williams leaving and he said how can the Vikings justify overpaying to keep Williams with all the money they have tid up in CB already.
    The good thing is that if forces another team to pay top dollar for him if they want him...thereby cutting more into their salary cap number. If, for instance, the Packers want him, they will now have to pay him TOP DOLLAR (just like they did with Kampman last year to keep him from us). ANYTHING that costs OTHER teams money is good for us! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Ddawg84 is offline Starter

It would be really awesome since Chavous is likely gone... that they are gunna try to keep him just to audition him at the safety position for next year and if it dont work out... then they will let him become unrestricted FA next year... Hopefully that is there plan, cause then i think he sticks around, maybe Tomlin after looking at tape thinks he might be a good fit in that role for his cover 2... who knows!!! and for a little guy he can lay a whoopin on people, example: Keyshawn Johnson gettin lit up!!!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

This is more good news, I hope he can shine again this upcoming year...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Right on. Even if B-Will wants to leave the ball is in the Vikings hands now. If other teams sign him to an offer sheet then we have the right to match it. If he holds out, then he doesn't get paid, he doesn't go to another team, and every other team sees how he reacts and shy's away from him.

What are the chances that Childress told B-Will that he would be the starting CB, and that they are planning either to use Smoot in a trade, or move Smoot to SS? They may be planning on using him in a trade, and I believe that the Vikes are going after another Tomlin guy in Dexter Jackson.

If this story pans out, then we may end up seeing B-Will in purple and gold for many years to come. This would make more sense to me than to transition B-Will and try and move him to SS. He isn't very happy the way it is, why piss him off even more? I believe the Vikes see Smoot as a trash talking CB that is replaceable.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast