Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Brees to Vikings????

[size=18px]Brees nearing possible point of no return[/size]

If no long-term deal, free agency looming

By Kevin Acee
    STAFF WRITER

February 18, 2006

Should the impasse between the Chargers and quarterback Drew Brees continue through next week, it appears Brees will be allowed to test the free-agent market and perhaps walk away without the team having any say or receiving any compensation.

Asked what will happen if the Chargers and Brees do not reach an agreement on a long-term contract by Thursday, General Manager A.J. Smith said yesterday, “I think, looking at it, (the team would say) 'Well, it didn't work out.' ”

The impetus behind the Chargers' leaning is their concern about a little-known proviso in the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement that would guarantee Brees' 2006 salary if he were named a transition player.

Smith yesterday ruled out designating Brees as the team's franchise player.

And fearful the Chargers would lose a hearing on the CBA clause in question and that Brees would be guaranteed almost $10 million, Smith also indicated the team will not make Brees its transition player.

“It's a gray area,” Smith said of the clause. “Do you test it? Do you want to go to a hearing? Or do you, because it's so cloudy, pass on it?”

As if to answer, Smith pointed to his reputation for not conducting business without an accepted level of certainty.

“I don't like anything that's cloudy,” he said. “Black and white, that's how I like to operate.”

A hearing before NFL Special Master Stephen Burbank would not take place until after the Thursday deadline for teams to designate franchise or transition players.

Brees, who just finished his fifth NFL season, is to become a free agent March 3. The Chargers and his agent have been talking about a long-term deal for almost two weeks.

Given the Chargers' reluctance to guarantee Brees' contract for 2006, negotiations are evidently dragging because of the team's proposal of an incentive-laden deal.

The franchise and transition tags are ways for teams to stave off a player's pending free agency by offering him a one-year contract. The player is allowed to negotiate with other suitors on a long-term deal, but the original team has the right to match any contract offer. In the case of franchise players, the original team would receive two first-round draft picks if it decided not to match another team's offer.

The one-year contract the original team offers the player must be for the average of the top five (franchise) or top 10 (transition) salaries at the player's position the previous year or 120 percent of his previous year's salary, whichever is higher.

The average salary of the 10 highest-paid quarterbacks in 2005 was $8.3 million.

But because Brees' 2005 salary ($8.08 million) as a franchise player was so high, he would be paid 120 percent of that as a transition player in 2006. That's $9.696 million, a price the Chargers deem too steep to guarantee a quarterback with a shoulder of unknown strength.

Unlike the one-year salary of a franchise player, the one-year salary for a transition player is not usually guaranteed. But a few sentences in the 263-page CBA indicate that Brees' 2006 salary would be guaranteed even as a transition player.

Article XX, Section 14 of the CBA reads in part, “ . . . the Required Tenders of a one year Player Contract for at least 120% of the Franchise Player's or Transition Player's Prior Year Salaries shall in addition to the 120% Salary also include all other terms of the player's Prior Year contract, including any guarantees . . . ”

The Chargers contend the meaning of the section is debatable, but Smith conceded it indicates that in Brees' case the transition and franchise tags are essentially the same.

While the Chargers seemed willing and fiscally able to franchise or transition Brees before his being injured in the season finale, the team now has concerns about Brees' health after he needed surgery last month to repair a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. Brees is expected to be ready to participate in training camp, but it is not certain when his arm will return to full strength.

Brees made the Pro Bowl after the 2004 season and would have played in the all-star game this year if not for his injury. While replacing him would be difficult, if not immediately impossible, the Chargers are in the enviable position of having a former top-five draft pick as their backup quarterback and a former starter as their No. 3 QB.

Philip Rivers, acquired via trade with the New York Giants in 2004 after being drafted fourth overall, is waiting. And the team just this week signed A.J. Feeley, who has started 10 career games, to a two-year contract.

After checking with a member of the NFL Management Council, a league spokesman confirmed yesterday that Brees' salary as a transition player this year would be guaranteed.

Mark Levin, the NFL Players Association's director of salary cap and agent administration, said the union's position would likely be that Brees' salary would be guaranteed as a transition player.

The franchise/transition question would be moot if the two sides agree on a long-term deal. The Chargers sent Brees' agent, Tom Condon, an initial proposal Feb. 6 and the sides spoke as recently as yesterday.

“I won't comment on that except to say there have been conversations,” Smith said.

Even though Smith referred to Thursday as a deadline, the Chargers and Brees technically would have until the March 3 opening of the free-agency period to come to terms on a long-term deal. (Even that deadline could change, however, if the start of the free-agency period is pushed back to allow the union and management more time to agree on a new CBA.)

If no deal is reached, whenever free agency starts, Brees would hit the market and would almost certainly be lost forever.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

Drew Brees to become free agent March 3

Quarterback options;
    The Chargers have four options for quarterback Drew Brees:

Sign him to a long-term contract.

Designate Brees a “franchise player” for the second consecutive year. Because this would guarantee Brees nearly $10 million for 2006, GM A.J. Smith said he has ruled this out.

Designate Brees a “transition player.” This appeared to be the most likely option because the one-year contract for a transition player is not normally guaranteed. However, a clause in the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement was raised that apparently would guarantee the money in Brees' case, again something Smith is reluctant to do.

Allow Brees to test the market as a free agent, without getting anything in return should he sign with another team.

Drew Brees

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

Just because I speak from the heart and say that "I" feel Brees sucks I lose credibility on this site? pfffttttttttttt!!!

I watched Brees play Big 10 football at Purdue and even then he was being over rated. Now he's had a nice turnaround since his horrendous start in the NFL, but that don't change my opinion of him. Hell, the reference to Flutie was based on the simple fact Brees couldn't beat the wily old veteran out of a job back in 2003! C'mon, folks! If your from the Midwest and like your stud players that's one thing, but to claim Brees is now one of the elite QBs in the NFL is LUDICROUS!

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

I'm sorry I don't agree with you BigMo. I follow a lot of Big Ten football and thought Brees worked real well in the system at Perdue, which I might add was the west coast offense. He didnt always beat the big dogs in the conference such as Michigan and Ohio state, but it wasn't lack of effort on his part. He ussually lit them up!

Sure he might not be the prolific passer that Culpepper is, but I've never flet he was overrrated and would really like to have him in minnesota purple.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

That's cool Mike, I can live with that! I don't really dislike Brees that much, I suppose I just can't justify the thought process of getting rid of an established ALL-Pro QB coming off major injury, for an up and coming Pro QB also coming off major injury repair. Brees injury to his shoulder area is gonna greatly diminish his throwing style. Look no further than Chad Pennington, who I rather liked until he couldn't stay off the injury list!

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

i think the Chargers are going to re-sign Drew, i think we should give Culpepper time to heal and show people that he can still be productive then fish him around the league for some draft picks or something, i just think we need to give him time!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    Just because I speak from the heart and say that "I" feel Brees sucks I lose credibility on this site? pfffttttttttttt!!!

I watched Brees play Big 10 football at Purdue and even then he was being over rated. Now he's had a nice turnaround since his horrendous start in the NFL, but that don't change my opinion of him. Hell, the reference to Flutie was based on the simple fact Brees couldn't beat the wily old veteran out of a job back in 2003! C'mon, folks! If your from the Midwest and like your stud players that's one thing, but to claim Brees is now one of the elite QBs in the NFL is LUDICROUS!

Everyone has their own opinion on everything. I don't think just because this guy has a different perspective on this subject that he should lose credability on this site.. We should talk about our differences in opinion, after all that is what makes this a great site.. This guy thinks that Brees sucks, alot of us think he is good, that is the difference.

I personally like Drew Brees. Someone can argue that Peyton Manning is a terrible QB, while others think he is awesome. Now how many of us would rather have Manning as QB of the Vikings over Culpepper? I would. That is just my opinion though..

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    Wow, Brees sucks? You obviously know what you're talking about. I mean, look at all the supporting facts you gave. Who in this world would want a Pro-Bowl QB that we KNOW can get the job done without a future HOF reciever and could be great for our new offense. Doug Flutie over Brees? I really hope you're kidding or you'll have no credibility on this site in the future at all. You really must not watch Brees or keep up with him at all to say he sucks. Atleast everyone else said they were afraid of his shoulder was why they didn't want him, nobody else was rediculous enough to say he sucks.
    Brees is working in front of a Future HOF RB, don't forget that. He is on pace to be a top 5 RB, as long as he can stay healthy. I think having a RB who touches the ball more than a WR, is more significant. The addition of McCardell is huge also, look at McCardell's stats and you will see that he is solid.

I wouldn't say that Brees sucks, but he does have a nice situation to be successful. He has matured and plays smart. He also has a nice D that he has confidence in.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    why would we get rid of one injured quarterback and pick up another? that don't make any sense.
    True!

Won't happen!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

chargers are dumb if they do not keep brees around. he has proven that he can play, and play really good. if they let him go, they are just moving backwards to where they were a few years ago before they got brees. its like they are starting all over again. they have to at least them him to try play again after ripping his shoulder.
    We're bringing purple back.

Prophet Guest

Pure speculation.

==========================

KFFL
    Vikings | Team could enter the fray for Brees
    Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:19:12 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Minnesota Vikings could enter the race to sign San Diego Chargers QB Drew Brees, if he becomes a free agent and depending on how their offseason goes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast