Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Bob Sanders a Viking?

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1089878
    I would much rather have Atogwe.

They're the same age, but Atogwe has actually played football in the past 3 years.

Sanders has never once played a full season. He averages 6.5 starts per year, but only twice in 7 years has he played more than that.

In those two seasons(14 and 15 games)he averaged 93.5 tackles, which is a ton. But I remember him being pretty mediocre in coverage, and his stats reflect that. He had 6 passes defended and 2 picks in his 15 game season(2007)in his 14 game season(2005) he had 1 interception and 2 passes defended. Those numbers are no better than our current safeties.

No doubt he's good in run support, but with his lack of cover skills and abysmal injury history he's not worth going after.

Atogwe has only missed starts as a rookie and at the end of the 2009 season when he dislocated his shoulder.

He averages 75.8 tackles, 7.6passes defended, and 4.2 interceptions per season, with his rookie year excluded.

created a league-high 44 turnovers over the past five seasons...This spring, Atogwe will marry the daughter of Vikings linebackers coach Mike Singletary. It’s fair to wonder if Singletary’s new team might give Atogwe a serious look on the open market.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/19/atogwe-wants-to-return-to-rams-despite-release/
    Atogwe>Sanders
    +1 good post.

but one has to agree with the statement that getting either of them would be an upgrade to what we currently have. one thing I don't understand is why bob seems to be made of glass. Sanders would in theory come cheaper than Atogwe though for just that reason.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

There's a reason he was cut by the Colt's & we'd be fools to get him in spite of it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Why not have both?
    Not a fan of Abduhllah as a starter. He's average. Everyone else is below average. Although my preference is the Former Ram.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089888
    There's a reason he was cut by the Colt's & we'd be fools to get him in spite of it.
    I agree.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I would much rather have Atogwe. He's a solid back and stays healthy. Sanders wouldn't be bad. He would be an upgrade only if he's healthy. He made a huge difference for the Saint defense on their superbowl run. But 9 games in 3 years makes him a huge risk.

I guess a small contract wouldn't be bad. He's very talented. I wouldn't mind him in purple either. However, if I had the choice I would go after Atogwe.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

We need all the help we can get a Safety. If he was reasonably priced and passed the physical then maybe sign him but I would still find a few more through the draft or by FA.

With the offenses we are going to see in this division over the next 5-10 years we cannot keep putting in half assed safeties and corners that need a 15 yard cushion if we expect to ever finish out of the division cellar.

Our pass coverage needs to be better than it has ever been.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Here is a brief synopsis of his last 3 seasons. Injury prone might be an understatement.....
    2008 season
    Sanders was expected to start the 2008 training camp on the PUP list, but general manager Bill Polian had stated that Sanders would come back in the middle of training camp. On August 24, Sanders made his 2008 debut, along with fellow injured teammate Dwight Freeney in the week 3 preseason matchup against the Buffalo Bills.
    On September 17, 2008, the Colts announced Bob Sanders will be out for the next 4–6 weeks because of a high ankle sprain. The injury occurred in the Colts' second game of the season against the Minnesota Vikings.[4] Sanders would be replaced by second-year safety Melvin Bullitt.
    Sanders made his return from the injury list, along with teammate Joseph Addai, for the week 9 matchup against the New England Patriots. After a five-game absence, Sanders had a solid performance and helped hold the Patriots off in the last seconds with the game-sealing interception with 4 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, his first interception of the season. During the postgame press conference, Tony Dungy stated that Sanders was "physically, very [very] close to 100%" coming off of the ankle injury.
    Sanders again missed time for the season, sitting out of the week 11 game versus the Houston Texans, due to a knee injury apparently sustained the previous week against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The knee injury would cause him to again miss time for the second consecutive week. Sander's knee injuries have come about by the cause of swelling, a condition that he has experienced since a serious injury to his knee sidelined him during his rookie season.
    After missing the last two games of the regular season, Sanders total game appearances amounted to 6. In those 6 games, he collected 39 total tackles and one interception. Sanders played in the postseason but the Colts' season was cut short by the San Diego Chargers in their wild card playoff matchup, losing 23-17.
    [edit]2009 season
    In 2009, Sanders started two games before being placed on injured reserve on November 6 with an arm injury. He recorded six tackles and one interception in his two games.
    [edit]2010 season
    In 2010, Sanders exited the first game of the season with an injury. On September 14, 2010, it was reported that Sanders could possibly miss the entire season with a torn biceps tendon. On December 8th, he was put on injured reserve, which ended his season.
    [edit]Free Agency
    On February 18, 2011 Sanders was released from the Colts after only playing nine games in the previous three seasons. In a team statement he said, "I always will consider myself a Colt. I want to thank the fans also for their great support. They played a big part in making my seven years with the team very rewarding."

Yikes

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1089880
    Wow, just imagining Antoine Winfield and Bob Sanders playing on the same team together makes me get the chills down my back!

On paper, any receiver who will have to play against us will be scared to death. We're talking about the best tackling and hardest hitting cornerback and safety.

I have to confess though, it wouldn't look as awesome in action. Both Winfield and Bob Sanders are past their prime. Sanders is rarely healthy and his coverage skills are not super impressive (almost the same could be said about Winfield by the way), but I sure as hell would rather have Bob Sanders instead of Madieu Williams.
    That's for sure!
    Problem with both Whinny and Sanders on the team at the same time is we wouldn't have anyone who could cover in the pasing game. Sure, we would see alot of support in the running game, but the passing game would get even worse.

As far as Sanders goes, I say no. I think you will see Whinny playing inside alot more (like we did last year) with two other CB's on the outside.

That seemed to keep him healthier, he seemed to like being in there and our secondary played the best it has in alot of years with a bunch of backups in there.

Get Griff and Cook back. Along with the additional reps Asher got and we will be fine as long as we resign Husain at S.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090087
    Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1089880
    Wow, just imagining Antoine Winfield and Bob Sanders playing on the same team together makes me get the chills down my back!

On paper, any receiver who will have to play against us will be scared to death. We're talking about the best tackling and hardest hitting cornerback and safety.

I have to confess though, it wouldn't look as awesome in action. Both Winfield and Bob Sanders are past their prime. Sanders is rarely healthy and his coverage skills are not super impressive (almost the same could be said about Winfield by the way), but I sure as hell would rather have Bob Sanders instead of Madieu Williams.
    That's for sure!
    Problem with both Whinny and Sanders on the team at the same time is we wouldn't have anyone who could cover in the pasing game. Sure, we would see alot of support in the running game, but the passing game would get even worse.

As far as Sanders goes, I say no. I think you will see Whinny playing inside alot more (like we did last year) with two other CB's on the outside.

That seemed to keep him healthier, he seemed to like being in there and our secondary played the best it has in alot of years with a bunch of backups in there.

Get Griff and Cook back. Along with the additional reps Asher got and we will be fine as long as we resign Husain at S.
    How we will be fine at safety with just resigning Husain is beyond me. We need serious help at the safety position.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Bob Sanders sucks. Whoops, I think he just pulled a hammy crawling into bed
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast