Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Blueprint for success in the NFC Norris.

I know Frazier has indicated that he wants to be a run oriented team on offense and that he seems to be sticking with the cover 2 on defense and I wonder what your thoughts are on the potential success of this type of strategy considering what the rest of the division is doing.

On offense- I understand the ball control and keeping your opponent off the field strategy and I know that we have a great RB but when you look at the teams in our division it is loaded with guys who can throw the ball to anywhere on the field and with WR's who can score from anywhere. So while keeping them off the field is nice, my personal opinion is that we are going to be setting ourselves up for failure if these teams jump out to a quick lead on us and we have to try to play catch up. That running game would need to be countered by having a more vertical passing attack that can make up big chunks of yardage if the run game stalls and if we find ourselves needing to come from behind.

If that scenario is correct then IMHO we need to stop looking at the WCO type QB's like McNabb and look for a big, not necessarily mobile guy like Rothlisberger who can stand in the pocket or slide around to buy time and then get the ball down the field. I am not sure who that guy is in the draft but I would look for someone 6'4 or bigger and 240 plus with a cannon arm.

On defense I am not sure at all that we should be looking at the tampa 2 as a defense to build around considering the offenses in the division. We are way too exposed in the passing game with that zone coverage and we end up giving up way too many yards that our offense will have a hard time making back up.

Now that it looks like Kevin and Pat will be benched for a chunk of the season if Pat even comes back maybe it would be a good time to look at the 3-4 conversion and start to look for a blue chip pass rusher at LB and to start to rebuild our secondary with safeties that can actually tackle and with CB's that can cover man to man against the WR's we face like Driver, Jennings, Johnson etc etc.

That being said I think the number one thing we need to do on defense is to develop strategies to hit the opposing QB's often and hard. If we play against GB for another 15 years with #12 at QB and likewise with Chicago and Detroit(Although Stafford doesn't look to be a long career Cal Ripkin kind of guy) it's going to be a long ride towards my retirement years.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Blueprint for success in the NFC Norris.

I like what Leslie has done so far with the Coaching Staff.

Offense- Putting an emphasis on the run doesn't neccessarily dictate the we will not be an explosive offense. AD can be a home run hitter on any given down and Harvin has proven to be a game changer as well. If we can re-sign Rice, we have a triple treat offense.

Obviously QB is the big question mark that needs to be answered. Without that answer I don't think we can mimmick the offenses of our NFC North rivals. They all have experienced first round QBs. Without knowing who our QB is, it would be hard to build an offense to feature a passing game. I just hope that the offensive philosophy will center around the strengths of our players and getting them the ball (in space).

Defense- I have never really had a problem with the Tampa2 especially after acquiring Allen. However I agree that our North Rivals are built to beat that Defense. Rodgers quick delivery and their WR talent; the size of the Lions receivers; and the versatility of Cutler in Martz' offense are all well designed to attack the Tampa2.

I don't think we need to move to a 3-4. We presently don't have the roster core to pull that off. I would like to see us run more of a traditional 4-3 defense with Strong and Free Safeties. I just think that gives us more flexibility with coverages and blitzes with the personnel that we currently have on the team. Granted, with GBs 4-5 receiver sets, we will probably running nickle and dime defenses against them most of the time. But overall I prefer a 4-3 over a 3-4.

delviking is offline Starter

Frazier says he wants to run a more run oriented Offense because we have no QB, and have the best pure runner in the game. so it makes sense to be a run first team at least at the outset. then bring more of a passing game when we know who our QB is.

I dont have a problem with the Tampa 2 we run but who really just runs a set Defensive scheme no one cause the offenses would just torch them. I did like seeing the more Blitz happyness of Pagac's Defense in the last six games. id like to see a bit more odd schemes added like a 3-3-5 in some situation. Plus fraziers trying not to destroy the team that was built but to Tweak what we have. Non of our corners are great man cover corner the decent to good but there better at the zone Coverage. plus if they added some 3-3-5 you can use the power of hendersons run stopping ability while the OLBs are covering the TE and running back if they pass since thats really the only real knock on henderson is his pass coverage, which still is not terrible its decent to good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "seaniemck7" #1089416
    I like what Leslie has done so far with the Coaching Staff.
    I am reserving judgement until I see the product perform on the field.

Offense- Putting an emphasis on the run doesn't neccessarily dictate the we will not be an explosive offense. AD can be a home run hitter on any given down and Harvin has proven to be a game changer as well. If we can re-sign Rice, we have a triple treat offense.
    The threat has alway been there. I would like to see if we can get them to execute to their potential.

Obviously QB is the big question mark that needs to be answered. Without that answer I don't think we can mimmick the offenses of our NFC North rivals. They all have experienced first round QBs. Without knowing who our QB is, it would be hard to build an offense to feature a passing game. I just hope that the offensive philosophy will center around the strengths of our players and getting them the ball (in space).
    Yeah, I agree with putting together a plan that fits our talent for sure. That would be great to see for a change. But we have much more than a QB to add if we are going to try to match the rest of the division.

Defense- I have never really had a problem with the Tampa2 especially after acquiring Allen. However I agree that our North Rivals are built to beat that Defense. Rodgers quick delivery and their WR talent; the size of the Lions receivers; and the versatility of Cutler in Martz' offense are all well designed to attack the Tampa2.
    I'm not as optimistic on this. Yes, Allen had a good 2009 but last year was invisible for the most part until we were basically out of the running, then had a few OK games. He has not been the game changer that I had hoped who could change the outcome of a critical game. We need to do so much retooling to make this unit able to compete with the potent offenses in our division that I think we will be licking our wounds for a few years.

I don't think we need to move to a 3-4. We presently don't have the roster core to pull that off. I would like to see us run more of a traditional 4-3 defense with Strong and Free Safeties. I just think that gives us more flexibility with coverages and blitzes with the personnel that we currently have on the team. Granted, with GBs 4-5 receiver sets, we will probably running nickle and dime defenses against them most of the time. But overall I prefer a 4-3 over a 3-4.
    I'm not sure either. I always looked at the 3-4 as a defense that was built more to stop the run and the T2 as built to stop the pass but lately it seems that they have flip flopped each other so my theory has been put on it's head.

What I do know is the pass rushing OLB seems to be able to pressure the QB better than the T2 DE lately and the man up CB's seem to be better able to stop a passing attack than the zone defense. I think overall speed of players and new wrinkles to schemes are at the root of this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1089418
    Frazier says he wants to run a more run oriented Offense because we have no QB, and have the best pure runner in the game. so it makes sense to be a run first team at least at the outset. then bring more of a passing game when we know who our QB is.
    Yeah, I do realize that and you summed it up very very well. I just hope that the fact we have no real options at QB doesn't mean we end up getting blown out by 30+ point by the Packers every time we play them like we did this year. Man that sucks.

I dont have a problem with the Tampa 2 we run but who really just runs a set Defensive scheme no one cause the offenses would just torch them. I did like seeing the more Blitz happyness of Pagac's Defense in the last six games.
    I did too. IMHO Frazier kept the DL too predictable and that made them easy to block. I would at least like to see them run a broad array of stunts and shifts in order to make the offense think about what they have to do instead of just picking us apart. If we can do a few of those things the defense would have a better shot.

id like to see a bit more odd schemes added like a 3-3-5 in some situation. Plus fraziers trying not to destroy the team that was built but to Tweak what we have.
    That would be great. It would be refreshing to have a coach weak the scheme to fit our talent for once.

Non of our corners are great man cover corner the decent to good but there better at the zone Coverage. plus if they added some 3-3-5 you can use the power of hendersons run stopping ability while the OLBs are covering the TE and running back if they pass since thats really the only real knock on henderson is his pass coverage, which still is not terrible its decent to good.
    Winfield has some good moments but is getting long in the tooth and after that I am not sure if we even have decent zone corners. If I had to say right now I would say they would be terrible in a man on man situation and only god awful in a zone defense. The best thing we could see is a completely different secondary from top to bottom and if we did that then there would be the freedom to go man to man.