Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Thursday

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Bloody Thursday

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I just read this article and it fits in with the few other threads started this morning.

The information in THIS article however is very eye opening and I suggest if you are interested in the Vikings offseason you read this.
    But it is too long!!!!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Interesting... We could get Will Shields and Warrick Dunn!

I think that UPshaw is putting it off to the last second, making sure he gets another 2% on top of the 56.2% they are offering. Meet half way!

I think this hurts the players more. Not all of the cut players will be able to find work if the cap teams can't sign them and the Teams like the Vikings push their envelopes (or are afraid to max out). It will be somewhere inbetween the SCABS and the Pros, with all the Rookies and fill in players.

I think Upshaw is being a dink! The football players are just upset they don't get paid like the NBA players.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Dude, I don't get it.

Why would so many players get released if the CBA doesn't get done?

None of the articles seem to explain it and I'm confused.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

"happy camper" wrote:
    Dude, I don't get it.

Why would so many players get released if the CBA doesn't get done?

None of the articles seem to explain it and I'm confused.
    The good players get paid the most money.
    If you have to cut $$$$$ to get under the cap, you have to trim off the fattest of contracts.
    They can't extend and restructure like normal because of the new rules with out the CBA.
    Therefore, they will cut players and their salaries from the books. Some may come back ar reduced rates, some won't, some will end up on new teams, and some will end up watching the season from their homes.

Teams have to get under the cap first and formost.

What did it say, there are 12 teams that don't have a problem, the rest do. Some of the other 20 teams may have small wounds to patch up, but some have huge gaping wounds and that is where the bleeding is going to be seen.

Del Rio Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    I think that UPshaw is putting it off to the last second, making sure he gets another 2% on top of the 56.2% they are offering. Meet half way!

I think this hurts the players more. Not all of the cut players will be able to find work if the cap teams can't sign them and the Teams like the Vikings push their envelopes (or are afraid to max out). It will be somewhere inbetween the SCABS and the Pros, with all the Rookies and fill in players.

I think Upshaw is being a dink! The football players are just upset they don't get paid like the NBA players.
    It's a hard one. They make the NFL a large ammount of money they feel they deserve a good chunk of it and they probably do.

I would rather both sides pull their heads out of their asses, realize we pay the bills and give the 4% they are fighting over back to the fans in the form of cheaper tickets and an overall better experience.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

So let me see if I get it right..

With a CBA, teams can extend and deffer the money in contracts between multiple years, but without the CBA.. that won't be allowed?
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:

I think that they are both posturing for a deal to get done later. The NFLPA wants 60% of the NFL's gross revenue, whereas now they get 56.2% of the currently shared revenue. I think that they both know that the NFLPA won't get that, and I think it's going to end up that the PA gets either 60% of the shared revenue, or 56% of the gross revenue. There is no way in hell they'll get both, and I think they know that.

Del Rio Guest

I am not certain what the cap is at now, but it is in the 90 million + range 96 or something. The CBA was expected to go through no one thought it wouldn't.

With that it was expected that the new CBA cap limit would be around 110million, so teams had planned for that, or were gearing up for that. With no CBA there will be no increase, of course there is no cap in 07', but the problem is now they are so close to the cap, and there is no increase that they will be forced to let those players go that have their contracts back loaded. Mostly Vets who had long term deals.

SO the closer a team is to the cap the 90-whatever-million the more trouble they are in. They cannot stretch contracts over multiple years, and the ones that they have stretched already that have projected an increase in the CBA are at risk of being dropped.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Updating previous reports, Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the break down in negotiations over a new collective bargaining could cause what one general manager called "Bloody Thursday." With the projected salary cap expected to fall between $95 million to $96 million, some big-name players might get released by Thursday, March 2, as teams comply with the salary cap. An AFC team executive said, "In past years, you'd see a lot of guys released who maybe still had some name value, but who were really in decline in terms of production. This year? People are going to be stunned -- not just by the quantity of players who are cut by Thursday, but by the quality, too. It's going to be ugly. There's going to be blood in the streets and, compared to past years, it's going to be from some bluebloods, guys who can still play."

Between 95 and 96 Mill

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast