Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Birk will attend minicamp - Birk returns

[size=13pt]Childress on Birk[/size]

by Sean Jensen on June 6, 2008 4:55 PM
    blogs.twincities.com

Vikings coach Brad Childress chose diplomacy when discussing the presence of Pro Bowl center Matt Birk at the team's mini-camp today...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

* Perhaps the star of practice was TE Visanthe Shiancoe, who hauled in two very difficult passes -- one with one hand, the other fully stretched out.
    Marrdro's Key players to watch.......

a. Shanc - If (c) are doing thier jobs I think we will see alot of Shanc and in turn the lighter TE (Mills) cause we won't have to help the T's block.
    b. Rice - With BB exploiting the deep stuff and the LB'rs trying to stop AD and the underneath stuff (BB) Rice should be left with one on one coverage in the intermediate zones.
    c. Both Tackles (Mac/Cook)
    - These two, as with the whole OL, will be the catalyst to making the offense work.
    Not the QB.
    d. Birk - How will he do with pre-snap reads and making adjustments to what zone he helps with.
    Will he be able to disengage from his double team and pick up the LB on a delayed blitz.

Gonna be a fun year my friends.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

[size=13pt]Birk Reports, Comments on Absence[/size]

By Tim Yotter
    scout.com

Posted Jun 6, 2008

[size=13pt]Birk at Vikings camp, says he is not angry with team[/size]

Saturday, Jun 7, 2008 9:13 am EDT

sports.yahoo.com

Minnesota Vikings center Matt Birk told the assembled media today that "I'm happy to be here" and "happy to be part of this team" after a walk-through on the opening day of the team's three-day mandatory minicamp...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

“The time you have to put into this during the season is non-negotiable,” he said. “There are a couple of factors, the biggest one being my family. It’s a busy time, it’s a blessed time for us. But I felt like I was just needed there a little bit more.”
    So let me get this straight, Birk is a bad guy for missing OTA's to spend the time with his family as he is expecting another child (Even though he was working out independently) but Taylor gets a free pass for the same thing? Interesting

"singersp" wrote:

sports.yahoo.com

Minnesota Vikings center Matt Birk told the assembled media today that "I'm happy to be here" and "happy to be part of this team" after a walk-through on the opening day of the team's three-day mandatory minicamp...
    Anyone notice how much Birk is starting to look like Hutch?

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

“The time you have to put into this during the season is non-negotiable,” he said. “There are a couple of factors, the biggest one being my family. It’s a busy time, it’s a blessed time for us. But I felt like I was just needed there a little bit more.”
    So let me get this straight, Birk is a bad guy for missing OTA's to spend the time with his family as he is expecting another child (Even though he was working out independently) but Taylor gets a free pass for the same thing? Interesting
    If it was just the upcoming event of a child I would agree with you and wouldn't be so disappointed with/in him.....

"Obviously a lot has been made of the fact that I haven't received a contract extension," he said. "That was just part of my decision process, not coming to OTAs.
    .......but it wasn't just that my friend.
    His contract extension (or lackthereof) also had some play in it as well.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

sports.yahoo.com

Anyone notice how much Birk is starting to look like Hutch?

Nice observation.

If I didn't have so high confidence in the sportswriters, I'd almost be reluctant to think that this is a picture of Hutch. But it just can't be so.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

LOL!!
    Yeah they look alike cuz That is certainly Hutch!
    But if you mean large, chiseled and strong, yeah, they look alike

Man, talk about Birk articles!!!

Actually, he seems to be in pretty good shape, No?
    Here's to hoping he's in better physical shape, and that he brings his game back to top center in the league!
    Maybe having those hips one more year past surgery is a really good thing...?

http://www.startribune.com/video/19617229.html?location_refer=Vikings

Interesting vid, he says all the right things about being happy to be on the team and lucky to be a football player...and have a child on the way.
    Then, that little blurb sneaks in about the contract being part of the decision...but he does say that he's happy with the contract, and that he wants to be there and retire a viking.

From his point of view, I can totally see wanting a bit more security with my job situation...especially with the wife pregnant, likely emotional and another kid to get through college on the way.
    Then there is always that injury worry too...every extra snap is another chance to get hurt...even in OTAs.
    At this point, I'd like him to be there a bit more, but I also like the extra reps that the young guys are getting cuz he's not there.

He knows wassup:
    "We've got a good corps, good group of guys coming back from last year's team. Really liked a lot of the moves we've made. It's exciting to be part of what's going on here."
    "We've talked numerous times. I think we both know where each other stands. I know that I respect him. I think he respects me. The most important thing is-we both want the same thing, and that's to win. I'm not entitled to anything. Nothing is owed to me. I know that in this thing, the decisions are made all for one reason and that's to win. It's not personal. I'm never going to begrudge anybody for doing what they feel is best for the team."
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    LOL!!
    Yeah they look alike cuz That is certainly Hutch!
    But if you mean large, chiseled and strong, yeah, they look alike

Man, talk about Birk articles!!!

Actually, he seems to be in pretty good shape, No?
    Here's to hoping he's in better physical shape, and that he brings his game back to top center in the league!
    Maybe having those hips one more year past surgery is a really good thing...?

http://www.startribune.com/video/19617229.html?location_refer=Vikings

Interesting vid, he says all the right things about being happy to be on the team and lucky to be a football player...and have a child on the way.
    Then, that little blurb sneaks in about the contract being part of the decision...but he does say that he's happy with the contract, and that he wants to be there and retire a viking.

From his point of view, I can totally see wanting a bit more security with my job situation...especially with the wife pregnant, likely emotional and another kid to get through college on the way.
    Then there is always that injury worry too...every extra snap is another chance to get hurt...even in OTAs.
    At this point, I'd like him to be there a bit more, but I also like the extra reps that the young guys are getting cuz he's not there.

He knows wassup:
    "We've got a good corps, good group of guys coming back from last year's team. Really liked a lot of the moves we've made. It's exciting to be part of what's going on here."
    "We've talked numerous times. I think we both know where each other stands. I know that I respect him. I think he respects me. The most important thing is-we both want the same thing, and that's to win. I'm not entitled to anything. Nothing is owed to me. I know that in this thing, the decisions are made all for one reason and that's to win. It's not personal. I'm never going to begrudge anybody for doing what they feel is best for the team."
    I'm with you there, Birk definitly needs to be in tip top shape and I hope he worked his fanny off. Kliensasser was an example of better play a couple years after the injury, at first he wasn't so well but has came on strong. 2 years removed may be what it takes to get back but he is 33 years old. I'm hoping for a solid season.

I think Birk is plenty wealthy, he's a smart guy, a good guy and I think he's done well taking care of the piggy bank. I believe he wants stability playing in Minnesota but its my opinion he won't get anything after this season and thats what I like about Childress. He's gonna do whats best for the team and the future and that would be a new Center soon.

IMO Birk knows that a contract extension is a long shot so he decided to stay home with his family more this offseason which I think is understandable but not something I would do. Most players get out of winter park at a reasonable time and this gives them time with the family, Birk was upset with his contract beyond this year but can't argue with his status this season.

Its good to hear he's exited about the team and the situation I just wished he was so exited he showed up to all activities. Granted his wife was going to have a baby she has already had three and done just fine with Birk showing up to work. The most important thing though is we all share the same common goal.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345