Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Birk's agent says center will attend minicamp

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Yes these are voluntary but we're talking the NFL here, no fines and such can handed out for not showing up but deep down this disappoints the Head Coach, especailly when all other players not missing voluntaries because of off-the field issue are attending. Birk probably does a fine job working out with Morris but as far as conditioning goes I'm not to sure how sound that is. Last year was a perfect example of Birk showing fatigue late in the season. There are many fans here very aware that the Center position plays a vital role in our offense, last year there was too much miscomunnication and mishap, any and all practice is needed in order to correct this. Starting from OTA's all the way through minicamps.
    FYI, Birk attended all the OTA's & minicamps last year, so what are you going to blame the fatigue on? The mini camps or the OTA's?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    This should give Birk every reason to play hard this year. End of contract and player in the works. Why would he want to leave a team on the rise. You know he wants a ring.
    He doesn't. He probably reads PP.O & is just doing it to piss-off Marrdro.
    :P
    To late.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I'm sure Birk will be in shape. That is not the problem. Hopefully he has been reviewing film from last season and finding what he did wrong, looking for what he missed call wise and making mental notes. His leadrership will solidify that front five, and it won't take long to get back in rhytm with that o-line, and Tarvaris.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

Yes these are voluntary but we're talking the NFL here, no fines and such can handed out for not showing up but deep down this disappoints the Head Coach, especailly when all other players not missing voluntaries because of off-the field issue are attending. Birk probably does a fine job working out with Morris but as far as conditioning goes I'm not to sure how sound that is. Last year was a perfect example of Birk showing fatigue late in the season. There are many fans here very aware that the Center position plays a vital role in our offense, last year there was too much miscomunnication and mishap, any and all practice is needed in order to correct this. Starting from OTA's all the way through minicamps.
    FYI, Birk attended all the OTA's & minicamps last year, so what are you going to blame the fatigue on? The mini camps or the OTA's?
    Yeah this is the first year Birk has skipped OTA's but I beleive he has skipped working out at Winter Park for some time now, Birk does his own conditioning. Hopefully he's up to par and where he needs to be, we need solid play from him this year to make this offense tick.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

It's probably already been said in this thread, but Birk is a class guy, through and through. He may be getting up there in years, but I think his leadership and mentoring are just as important to this team as his on-the-field play.

Thanks for the service, Birk! I hope you retire as a Viking!
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

Yeah this is the first year Birk has skipped OTA's but I beleive he has skipped working out at Winter Park for some time now, Birk does his own conditioning. Hopefully he's up to par and where he needs to be, we need solid play from him this year to make this offense tick.
    What did he skip out on? Do you have any reference to back that up? I don't remember him missing anything other than voluntary practices designed to initiate rookies and new acquisitions to the team.

"C" wrote:
    It's probably already been said in this thread, but Birk is a class guy, through and through. He may be getting up there in years, but I think his leadership and mentoring are just as important to this team as his on-the-field play.

Thanks for the service, Birk! I hope you retire as a Viking!
    Good luck with that, if he does retire a Viking it will be next year.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

What did he skip out on? Do you have any reference to back that up? I don't remember him missing anything other than voluntary practices designed to initiate rookies and new acquisitions to the team.
    Birk has skipped out on working out at Winter Park for some time. Alot of players, I think almost all of them work out at Winter Park during the offseason. Birk works out with Morris who does his strength training. Birk does his own conditioning. If you can't take my word for fact go to google, you can find it there.

You can say that its designed to initiate rookies and new acquisitions but Childress will straight up tell ya "We're looking to better all players wether its a rookie or a 10 year vet". Straight from the man himself quote on quote.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

Birk has skipped out on working out at Winter Park for some time. Alot of players, I think almost all of them work out at Winter Park during the offseason. Birk works out with Morris who does his strength training. Birk does his own conditioning. If you can't take my word for fact go to google, you can find it there.

You can say that its designed to initiate rookies and new acquisitions but Childress will straight up tell ya "We're looking to better all players wether its a rookie or a 10 year vet". Straight from the man himself quote on quote.
    So let me get this straight. He doesn't skip anything mandatory, but is a bad guy because he likes to lift weights and to strength training somewhere other than at the team's facility? Man, you would have hated Jerry rice and Roger Craig. They did that all of the time. I guess that is why they never won a SB and their team was so bad. If they were there holding the rookies hands that team would have been great.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

I had "Volunteer" workouts throughout my HS and College wrestling career.
    As a leader, you are expected to be at these events.
    I don't think I ever missed one of them except when I was injured and/or in rehab (granted sometimes I showed up hungover and/or drunk, but nevertheless I was there ;P) .
    From a team cohesion perspective, IMHO it was very important.

That being said, the NFL is a different animal.
    These guys are supposed to be adults. They are professionals.
    There is no such thing as a 10 year Vet in College.
    Mini-camps, training camp, preseason, and regular season (i will exclude the post season) puts a lot of wear and tear on people.
    I cannot speak to how I would feel if I were 10 year Vet on these OTAs.
    I "think" I would attend, but I don't know.

Birk may feel his time might be best spent getting in shape rather than playing "underwear" football.
    Getting in shape so he can come into mini-camp at a certain weight or condition may be more important in his mind. These guys know their bodies better than anyone.
    Birk has not turned into a turd over night.
    Birk has put a lot into this organization.
    As a the most tenured Vike, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast