MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Bill Musgrave is Vikings new offensive coordinator

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/19/bill-musgrave-is-vikings-new-offensive-coordinator/

The Cleveland Browns wanted him, but the Minnesota Vikings got him.

Bill Musgrave has accepted the position of offensive coordinator with the Vikings, Chris Mortensen of ESPN is reporting.

NFL Network reported this morning that other teams were moving on from Musgrave because they thought the Browns had him in the fold. But the Vikings went through with an interview with Musgrave today, and both the team and the coach apparently liked what happened at that interview.

Musgrave has been the Falcons’ quarterbacks coach for the last five years and has been credited for his work with Matt Ryan. A big question facing the Vikings now is whether they believe Musgrave can mold Joe Webb into an NFL starter, or whether they need to go shopping for a quarterback through the draft, a trade or free agency.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Bill Musgrave is Vikings new offensive coordinator

To me, this hire represents a vote of confidence that Musgrave can execute against Frazier's stated desire from an OC..."take advantange of the personell we have." There is no pre-concieved, required, or scripted offense in Frazier's mind. Personally, I like that. If he is comfortable that Musgrave can deliver, be flexible, and adapt to changing personell, I'm on board.

Welcome to the fold coach Musgrave. Now, deliver...

BTW; the "West Coast Offense," arguably originated here...thank you Jerry Burns, Chuck Foreman, Fran Tarkenton, Rickey Young, Ed Marinaro, Bud Grant, Ted Brown, Sammie White, Ahmad Rashad, Stu Voight, Steve Jordan, Brent McLanahan (damn you for fumbling), Darrin Nelson, etc. Yep, worthy of another thread, fo sho.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Well, I was never sold on McDaniels so in a way I am glad he didn't take the job but then again I don't know much about this guy at all other than he has been average at best during his other stints this high up the coaching ladder so we will see what he brings to the table.

I was hoping for a guy from a more physical style offense but we will see how it works out.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "MaxVike" #1088017
    To me, this hire represents a vote of confidence that Musgrave can execute against Frazier's stated desire from an OC..."take advantange of the personell we have." There is no pre-concieved, required, or scripted offense in Frazier's mind. Personally, I like that. If he is comfortable that Musgrave can deliver, be flexible, and adapt to changing personell, I'm on board.

Welcome to the fold coach Musgrave. Now, deliver...

BTW; the "West Coast Offense," arguably originated here...thank you Jerry Burns, Chuck Foreman, Fran Tarkenton, Rickey Young, Ed Marinaro, Bud Grant, Ted Brown, Sammie White, Ahmad Rashad, Stu Voight, Steve Jordan, Brent McLanahan (damn you for fumbling), Darrin Nelson, etc. Yep, worthy of another thread, fo sho.
    Start that thread if you haven't yet.. It would probably be far more interesting of a read than the super-bowl buildup, which has already begun.

Got me thinking.. Fran was a mobile qb, making one guy miss on his own, check. Accurate, check. I had to check Chucks pass catching stats, 2 years with over 500 yards in the 70s, holy shit, and check.

Were the passing plays similar? 3 steps and out on a slant maybe?

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

so far like what I've read from the guy, time will tell!

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese