Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Re: Biggest Concerns and Non-Concerns from PA

"nfl-forums" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:
    On thing you didn't mention PA is that we have a whole new coaching staff. That IMO is the biggest upgrade to this team this season. Its hard to say how good our team will be with competent coaching for a change. We still have a great core of players. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people next year and the difference will be coaching. :wink:
    That, IMO, is the biggest question mark. I don't see any veterans in our coaching staff that have been doing their jobs for a long time with success. We have a lot of rising stars, and I think two - three seasons down the road, when we weed out the bad coaches from the good ones in this new crop, we will have a solid coaching staff.

A little optimism, though...I think Taylor is the best signing we have made (he's an unknown gem - the guy averaged 5 ypc when defense were stacking the line against him). The O-line should improve, and the way the QB situation is working out in the draft, I would not be surprised if we pick up someone like Omar Jacobs who could be a very nice QB down the road.
    The new coach isn't a rookie out of highschool. He has been coaching for a long time. Tony Dungee did just fine when he left the Vikes. He put together a Super Bowl team for the Bucs and has taken the Colts to the top of the NFL as well. I look at Childress as a Dungee type of guy in talent, and the people he has brought in are not strangers to him. He is going to kick ass right from the start IMO. People say he didn't call plays under Reid but that isn't true. I read that he was making a lot of the play calls the last year or so with the Eagles. He knows what he wants and he is building it, unlike some teams and coaches that think big names will get them championships. The NFL is not Madden. Madden is a game that people play. :razz:

WWBGD

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I have always been a Vikings Homer. Sometimes I've even been foolishly optomisstic, but now not even a "foolish optomist can deny the dark realities of the moment" (FDR).

This offseason has been HORRIBLE for the Vikings. If I were to give us a grade it was honestly be an F-. We came into the year with needs at:

LINEBACKER, OLINE, RUNNINGBACK, KICKER, and Safety. Now, a week into Free Agency where most of the top players are gone we have needs at: Linebacker, Oline, Safety, Quarterback. And BIG Question marks at Runningback and Kicker.

I mean honestly with Vanderjagt and Vinitari on the market we sign an aging kicker to a 5 year contract. Longwell is nowhere nea as automatic as he was a few years ago. Did we take away from the Packers? NO! they are now looking at Vinitari and Vanderjagt and have contacted both their agents.

Then with names like Witherspoon, Arrington, and Peterson out there at Linebacker. We sign... Ben Leber! Who has potential, yes, but was a back-up last year and has been a fringe starter his entire career and we give him 20 million dollars. We still don't have a proven player at the position, which is very key to our success. Now we're talking about drafting Ernie Sims. Great, lets have realatively no experience on our Corps.

Oline. Birk is a question mark comming off a relatively disappointing 2004 season and major surgery. But, Lo! caught in New Orleans, wanting to get out, a Bently! LeCharles Bently a 2 time pro-bowler, in his prime, young can play Guard and Center really well. A perfect fit for us. But we're not on the ball and he signs with Cleveland on day 1. This guy should have been in Minneapolis at 12:02 Saturday morning and signed at 12:03. Instead we now have to WAY OVERPAY for Steve Hutchinson, who might not even get. And even if we do, the right sid eof the line doesn't look promising. We should trade or release Rosey immediately and Lewinski is a back-up/fringe starter (kind of like Everett Lindsay, except without the versatility). Oh, and I can't for get to mention that Hutch's huge Contract is making ti hard for the Vkings to continue in free Agency untill they know whether they have committed almost half of their cap space this year to him or not.

Safety. I cannot believe they waited on Dexter Jackson. This would have been an awesome pick-up. A big gamer who could come in an already know our system instead of having to learn it new like Offord (have we resigned him yet) or Dustin Fox or another rookie.

Finally Runningback. With names Like James, Lewis, and Anderson in the market, and names like Williams and Maroney expected to fall to us in the draft. We sign Chester Taylor. Another back-up, who has a lot of potential, yes, and has shown a lot of good things when he spelled Lewis. However, MeMo has shown those same things. Why not just keep Bennett? It would have been cheaper and I think Bennett has a higher ceiling (except, of course, he is always injured). We deifnitely over-paid for this unknown too.

Then Quarterback. Heading intot he offseason the Vikings where in an insanely enviable position. An awesome back-up in Johnson and one of the best starters in the league in Culpepper. Then Wilf lies to him about being traded. Snubbs him a scheduled meetings, lies to him about restructuring his contract. Childress snumbs him when they are supposed to meet, demands he recoup in frigid Minnesota instead of warm Florida, and shows him no support whatsoever. This leads Daunte to head out of Minnesota. Now we need a quarterback. forunately, The Lions are going to release Harrington and hopefully we'll sign him. Poor Harrington. I feel sorry for anyone who has to play for Matt Millen.

Add to that the fact the all of our coaches are basically back-ups too (they all accepted promotions comming the vikings, right. Like Bevell from Quarterbacks coach to Offensive Coordinator) and this next year is looking horrible for the Vikings.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

nfl-forums is offline Rookie

"RK." wrote:
    The new coach isn't a rookie out of highschool. He has been coaching for a long time. Tony Dungee did just fine when he left the Vikes. He put together a Super Bowl team for the Bucs and has taken the Colts to the top of the NFL as well. I look at Childress as a Dungee type of guy in talent, and the people he has brought in are not strangers to him. He is going to kick jiggly butt right from the start IMO. People say he didn't call plays under Reid but that isn't true. I read that he was making a lot of the play calls the last year or so with the Eagles. He knows what he wants and he is building it, unlike some teams and coaches that think big names will get them championships. The NFL is not Madden. Madden is a game that people play. :razz:
    Childress is a bright spot, but I get the feeling he is learning how to be a head coach. The way he handled the Culpepper thing worries me.

VikemanX84, I agree with a lot of what you said, although I think Taylor is a bigger pickup than you may think.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

alright i am willing to agree dexter jackson should have been pushed harder for. and chris hope should have at least paid a visit to us before he signed with the horrible Titans.

the runningbacks available with the exception of Edge were goats... and Edge would have cost too much. an Oline is more important...good olines can have mediocre RB's and still get it done.

i can't beleive someone on this board still stinks that Bennett should have been kept... stinks = thinks on purpose.

I am totally behind the culpepper trade and if you notice, it was not mentioned at all in my concerns. i also have faith in the new coaching staff because i spent the last 4 years trying to figure out how to send tice to immegration...that reece's monkey needed to go back to india.

i would like to see some interest in peterson and i have no idea why we are not going after him. the only thing i can think of is that we are waiting on hutch to see if we will be able to afford him. i think offord will be a fine transition year safety. the draft should give us a QB, a safety, an Olineman, and a LB.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"nfl-forums" wrote:
    Childress is a bright spot, but I get the feeling he is learning how to be a head coach. The way he handled the Culpepper thing worries me.
    What did you expect Childress to do? Grab his ankles for a player that was pouting? A player that wouldn't rehab with the team when asked, that wouldn't meet with the coach when asked, that wouldn't study the new play book when asked. I think they did as much as could be expected but you can't let a player blackmail the whole team with a snotty attitude. NO PLAYER IS THAT GOOD

Culpeper did not want to be in MN anymore I don't care what he says to the media about March 6th. He had made up his mind to leave the team last year. There was no way to handle anything. Culpeper played it so he could stay in FL where he is from. Childress played is so that the Vikes could at least get something for him as he left.

WWBGD

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

I worry about Smoot as well and hope for the money he is getting he will prove to be far better this year, if he fails the loss of Brian Williams will hurt

TE concerns me and its not Wiggins, Jimmy's first year back from his injury wasn't the same as before he got hurt. Yes I know it can take a year to regain his confidence in his knee but I do worry that if he isn't used or can't produce at a high level he could become a victim of his own salary

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

"PAvikesfan" wrote:
    i can't beleive someone on this board still stinks that Bennett should have been kept... stinks = thinks on purpose.
    lol, thats funny. It's not really. I guess I would rather have someone who has proven he can gain over 1000 yards in season when healthy at a realtively inexpensive rate than over pay someone who hasn't proven a damn thing.

Taylor did show some nice things in Baltimore. He has potential and I hope we can help him realize it and that he will be an excellent player for us in the future. However, right now, he is a back-up and it's looking like we are going to make him a starter, which given the circumstances of having a shot at James or Anderson or Williams or Maroney, I think is a pretty poor move.

I would feel a lot better if we had used the money on any number of better players available - RB or otherwise.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Hey PAVikesfan, I was thinking about all this on the way home from classes today and here you wrote it all down! :shock:

I realized that just thinking about all this has made me VERY tired! I don't know whether to be happy, sad, or mad about all the changes in the last year! You know how to feel about things in small amounts. But this will probably take me a year to absorb! :lol:

When a fellow student (a Bears fan) agrees with the DC trade I just don't know anymore! I've decided to just let all this go for now, and see what happens. There is just to much to b!tch about or agree with.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

If we get both Hutch and Neal, we should be fine on Offense next year...we can STILL get a QB in the draft to develop for 2007...either one of the top three or a 2nd rounder that is underrated.

On D, the coaching staff must feel that they can develop EJ, DT and the rest of the crew if they are not pursuing any of the high-profile FAs at that position.

As far as Pep...he had decided long ago that he didn't really want to be here...the fact that he immediately restructured his contract when he got to Miami is the ONLY PROOF that I need to convince me that he was going to put as much economic pressure on the Vikings as he could to get them to ship him out. He couldn't handle the pressure of being a leader...maybe Saban can get more out of him than we could...who knows. All I know is that he didn't want to be in Minnesota anymore and this feeling started LONG before he said that it did in his press conference. NEXT!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

there are still a lot of free agents left, but draft is gonna be an important day for us. Woodson is still out there, i wouldnt mind picking him up for a 3yr deal
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12