Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Biggest Concerns and Non-Concerns from PA

This is probably one the most exciting times for Vikes fans. We are building a possible SB caliber team. But let's face it, this is a transition year for our Vikes. We have a transition QB, but a rather at the top of his game QB, in Brad Johnson. We are picking up the pieces we need to win.

My biggest concerns about the Vikes:

1. Hutch: let's face it. At this point us getting Hutch is wishy washy at best. Plenty of us believe that he is ours, but in reality, the Seahawks rumor mill is saying they will match. We will find out probably on Sunday or at the very least by Monday Afternoon where he is going to play.

2. Back-up QB: stating the obvious...Brad is old. He could get injured. Who will we have? and who is even out there? McNown, Griese...both quality back-ups. McNown has more of an upside. Bringing in Nall is NULL.

3. Back-up CB's: we have Devonte Edwards who shows promise as being a play makewr but after him, it stops. Smoot was injury prone last season. it will happen again.

4. Oline: I don't feel we have done enough to sure up our most important part of the offense. Rosenthal sucks, Leweinsky is a False Start waiting to happen. Hutch would sure up our starting Oline but if he doesn't sign with us, we will be hurting! Birk is a question mark as how much he can get back to the way he was 2-3 years ago.

5. RB merry-go-round: Here we go again. We added another decent RB. Chester Taylor is a step up from Memo...but not by much. I see Chest getting 70% (at most) of the carries as we have another season of being able to commit to one runner. If Chester is not doing what Childress thinks he will do, the merry-go-round will start again.

6. Offord: is willy Offord ready to be a starter? my gut says yes. safeties are signed every day in FA in seems like, except by us. I think it is his job to lose at this point.

7. Linebackers: enough said!

Non-concerns for the vikes:

1. Pat Williams and crew: we have a dominant set of Dlinemen. Even our back-ups can it done. Kevin Williams is coming off a weak season, but I am not worried. Udeze is coming off an injury and surgery, but the guy is a beast when he plays.

2. TE's: We have probably the best TE (or close to the best) combo in the league. The WCO has a lot of TE plays and we have the guys to catch them balls. Wiggins is weak in his blocking but makes it up with big play catches.

3. Draft day: we have 3 picks in the 1st 51. we can get a QB, and build for the future. we might even trade up now that we have 2 2nd rounders.

4. Longwell and Kluwe: these guys are money IMO.

5. KR, PR: we have Krob and MEmo. enough said. I just hope our Special Teams is just as productive. I am still surprised that Childress let Tillman go, but who knows...

6. McKinnie: he will be in a contract year, and will play like a beast.

7. Sharper: our second best FA pick-up last year, only behind Pat Williams.

Well, there you have it. It is a transition year for us, a lot of missing pieces so far. Were not in a rebuilding year as we still have a lot of the talent we have had, but I don't feel this will be the year of the Viking. Playoff birth maybe, but SB bound. picking up players like Hutch, McNown, and Henderson could change my perspective on it but right now i am looking forward to fighting chicago for the division, possibly winning one playoff game but falling short.

--PA

Del Rio Guest

Re: Biggest Concerns and Non-Concerns from PA

Nicely done.

A big concern for me next year is Smoot.

Going to be interesting to see how he develops coming off a rough year.

Prophet Guest

Enjoyed the breakdown. Hutchinson not coming to town would be a major dissapointment. I have no problem with the RBs, but the O-line makes me really nervous until some things fall into place.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

On thing you didn't mention PA is that we have a whole new coaching staff. That IMO is the biggest upgrade to this team this season. Its hard to say how good our team will be with competent coaching for a change. We still have a great core of players. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people next year and the difference will be coaching. :wink:

WWBGD

Prophet Guest

I agree RK.. That is the biggest change that will make a difference.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Nice article, I enjoyed that one..

I am still up in the air on Hutch. At this point, it has to be looked at as 50/50 that he will be a Viking. I have seen where people close to Hutch has said he is not happy in Seattle because of the way they offered contracts to Alexander, and Jones, and that he prefers to play with the Vikings. All of a sudden, Seattle is bringing in other FA's and signing some of them. If the numbers are correct with their salary cap, and the way they are bringing in and signing FA's, Hutch is pretty much a Viking. I wonder if Hutch's statement made the decision for Seattle..

Smoot has never been injury prone in his career, so I believe with his new workout routine, he will be back to the old Smoot, and that is awesome..

William Henderson is close to signing with the Vikes, so that will be a good veteran leader on that side of the ball..

Sharper is Sharper. A ballhawking FS that gets the job done. I loved how he proved all his doubters wrong last year by having his best year in his career, and better yet, it was as a Viking, not a Packer..

We are looking good for next season. I can't wait for next season already, and the draft isn't even here yet.. I really hope they address the backup/starting QB situation rather quickly.. I would love to get Schaub, or Ramsey, or possilbly getting Ferotte back here. There are plenty of options, now lets hope the Vikes make the right moves..

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

as far as a back up CB is concerned i like to see Allen from the giants come for a visit... he'd be great for a nickleback and if smoot doesn't do well again, he'd fill in nicely.

revprodeji is offline Starter

Sir, In all respect alil criticism.

1. Hutch: I agree with you here, the uncertainity is harsh. but we did make a good offer to him. We did good here.

2. Back-up QB: This area is curious to me. I was suprised we didnt move on McCown. But I still see Schaub, I see the potential of a top-3 dropping to us. I see the possibility of Joey Harrington being released. There is still some tools there.

3. Back-up CB's: Losing BWill did hurt, but this years draft is sick in the 3-5rd with corners. So im not worried. Also, we can sign a vet when the price is down or when cuts are made.

4. Oline: Not having the draft yet my verdict is out, but if we add hutch and pick up the patriots guy we have a nasty line. Once again, give this time.

5. RB merry-go-round: chester taylor is 4real. and childress has the ego to force him the ball until he becomes what he wants.

6. Offord: I see us drafting a safety high, probably Bing with a second rd. Then Offord is a stop-gap until Bing is ready. Offord is big and could do some good things. He played great on spec teams last year

7. Linebackers: I like leber, I see us drafting D'Qwell Jackson. Nap played injuried all year last year, EJ and DT still have loads of talent and perhaps this new staff can touch that

This year is the beginning of a new era. We are a completly different team and we are setting the foundation for the future. That being said, if the draft comes thru as I desire I see us being a real threat
    www.prodeji.mychoices.biz

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"revprodeji" wrote:
    Sir, In all respect alil criticism.

1. Hutch: I agree with you here, the uncertainity is harsh. but we did make a good offer to him. We did good here.

2. Back-up QB: This area is curious to me. I was suprised we didnt move on McCown. But I still see Schaub, I see the potential of a top-3 dropping to us. I see the possibility of Joey Harrington being released. There is still some tools there.

3. Back-up CB's: Losing BWill did hurt, but this years draft is sick in the 3-5rd with corners. So im not worried. Also, we can sign a vet when the price is down or when cuts are made.

4. Oline: Not having the draft yet my verdict is out, but if we add hutch and pick up the patriots guy we have a nasty line. Once again, give this time.

5. RB merry-go-round: chester taylor is 4real. and childress has the ego to force him the ball until he becomes what he wants.

6. Offord: I see us drafting a safety high, probably Bing with a second rd. Then Offord is a stop-gap until Bing is ready. Offord is big and could do some good things. He played great on spec teams last year

7. Linebackers: I like leber, I see us drafting D'Qwell Jackson. Nap played injuried all year last year, EJ and DT still have loads of talent and perhaps this new staff can touch that

This year is the beginning of a new era. We are a completly different team and we are setting the foundation for the future. That being said, if the draft comes thru as I desire I see us being a real threat
    I agree with revprodeji in all points. (Thanks man, saved me from having to type a lenthy post :grin
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

nfl-forums is offline Rookie

"RK." wrote:
    On thing you didn't mention PA is that we have a whole new coaching staff. That IMO is the biggest upgrade to this team this season. Its hard to say how good our team will be with competent coaching for a change. We still have a great core of players. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people next year and the difference will be coaching. :wink:
    That, IMO, is the biggest question mark. I don't see any veterans in our coaching staff that have been doing their jobs for a long time with success. We have a lot of rising stars, and I think two - three seasons down the road, when we weed out the bad coaches from the good ones in this new crop, we will have a solid coaching staff.

A little optimism, though...I think Taylor is the best signing we have made (he's an unknown gem - the guy averaged 5 ypc when defense were stacking the line against him). The O-line should improve, and the way the QB situation is working out in the draft, I would not be surprised if we pick up someone like Omar Jacobs who could be a very nice QB down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast