Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Berrian NOT to be franchised.

Can he play right or left tackle? If so sign him.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

i personally think Hackett and then b. johnson would be better options than berrian... not a fan.. but he is fast though..

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Seems like he could do well here. I know this much Troy SHOULD NOT BE AROUND next year.
    just heart breaking to see a guy get open and drop for sure touchdowns.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I'd be down if they somehow landed him...although nothing like this ever pans out so I'm sure it won't happen.
    We do need another vet WR on this team though.
    Berrian is youthful, experienced, can get open and make plays.
    What's not to like?

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    As I've said before, I really hope that the Vikings can land someone like Berrian, as well as draft a rookie in the third or third round. I really think that our depth chart going into the season is going to be:

WR1: Vet FA, Rookie
    WR2: Rice, Ferguson
    WR3: Wade, Allison
    I thought your first post was pretty good but then you dropped the ball here.
    You have 6 WR's on this proposed roster.
    Problem is that the coaching staff only likes to carry 5.

84 Aundrae Allison WR 21 6-0 198 R East Carolina
    89 Robert Ferguson WR 28 6-1 209 7 Texas A&M
    18 Sidney Rice WR 21 6-4 202 R South Carolina
    19 Bobby Wade WR 26 5-10 190 5 Arizona
    82 Troy Williamson WR 24 6-1 203 3 South Carolina

You got rid of T-will to make room for the Vet.
    Who leaves to make room for the Rook?

Its all checks and balances.
    Why waste a draft pick on a guy that isn't gonna make the team cause there isn't gonna be a roster spot.
    Thats how bad teams approach the draft.

I for one would sign a top FA WR as well as a few low level FA to add competition and ax the low level buy if he doesn't pan out.
    That way you keep your youth (Sid/AA), use your picks wisely and add some depth/competition going into training camp.
    honestly the onlyy WR I see that would be guarenteed on this team next year is

Rice-Pretty obvious here as to why.
    Allison-Rookie so we have not seen what he can do yet. Plus as of the current roster probably our best KR/PR(AD had his moments but i think most people, like myself get a little nervous seeing him back there). And unless he does something to get him in the dog house big time he will be back. Not saying that everyone else is bad, except TWont ;D, but if the bring in the right FA and draft picks they could bump one or several of them out. To keep Defenses honest and not stack 8-9 in the box you need some WR's that will make our running game work. Of Course we need a QB to but that is not the argumnet here : ;D I would love for us to get a 3 headed monster at WR
    So why not a Berrian and a bryant johnson or ???. If people want TJack to be succesful why not give him every oportunity and the tools to do so?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    As I've said before, I really hope that the Vikings can land someone like Berrian, as well as draft a rookie in the third or third round. I really think that our depth chart going into the season is going to be:

Why waste a draft pick on a guy that isn't gonna make the team cause there isn't gonna be a roster spot.

I for one would sign a top FA WR as well as a few low level FA to add competition and ax the low level buy if he doesn't pan out.
    That way you keep your youth (Sid/AA), use your picks wisely and add some depth/competition going into training camp.
    you could always hope that the rookie passes through waivers and makes practice squad.
    Nothing wrong with having 6 recievers either, that way they can start to open up the playbook and stretch out the opposing defenses.

having said that, i wouldn't mind seeing AD lined up as a wideout and toss him a few screens.
    Remember what happened to Thigpen this year?
    Trust me, any players drafted by a team of any value will not pass through waivers.

As to how many we carry, again, I agree, but if you are gonna be a run happy team you carry players that can support that, i.e. TE's and FB's (which we do).

I think our (fans) biggest problem is we got used to the Pass Happy offense with all of its thrill and glamour.
    Now we are nothing more than a WC based offense that is predicated on the run opening up a short passing game with limited shots deep.

Again, carrying 6 WR's isn't conduscive to that type of offense.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Marrdro appears to share my intrigue over Thigpin.... at least a little bit.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Garland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:

Allison-Rookie so we have not seen what he can do yet. Plus as of the current roster probably our best KR/PR(AD had his moments but i think most people, like myself get a little nervous seeing him back there). And unless he does something to get him in the dog house big time he will be back. Not saying that everyone else is bad, except TWont ;D, but if the bring in the right FA and draft picks they could bump one or several of them out. To keep Defenses honest and not stack 8-9 in the box you need some WR's that will make our running game work. Of Course we need a QB to but that is not the argumnet here : ;D I would love for us to get a 3 headed monster at WR
    So why not a Berrian and a bryant johnson or ???. If people want TJack to be succesful why not give him every oportunity and the tools to do so?
    I hear ya but have a couple of comments.....(as always
    ;D)

I think that not only Rice but B-wade is also gauranteed a spot.
    I know alot of you don't like Bobby but as I've said repeatedly, his worth won't be realized until our QB can make hot reads and hit him in stride at precise times.
    Most of the passes he caught last year were late or behind him.
    The ones that he caught in stride he did get pretty decent YAC with.

Ferg I think has found a home.
    Again, I wasn't very happy with his pickup as I thought it would take reps from AA but as the year went on I think he got more comfortable and he and TJ's timing started to come together.

Long story short, I would love to see a WR lineup of:

Vet
    Rice
    B-wade (3 WR's)
    Fergy (In for Rice with B-wade in certain 3 WR sets or 4 WR sets)
    Allison continuing to contribute as necessary.

Remember, my decision is based on the fact that in this offense the WR must get off the line cleanly and run his routes very precisely and on time to ensure that the QB isn't throwing to air.

Additionally, most WR's take at least 3 years to really get to were they can exploit CB's off the line and in route running.
    B-wade and Fergy, plus the Vet (To Be Named This year) would give TJ some pretty decent options to throw to that he is comfortable with further aiding his progression.

IMHO we have enough youth at the WR position and shouldn't even consider drafting another until next year.
    By that time Rice and Allison should have become better route runners allowing for Fergy to hit the bricks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I get the feeling we won't reach for a receiver this year, but if there's one to be had for good value we may well land one...

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Chazz is offline Coordinator

Quote from: Marrdro on Yesterday at 03:27:05 pm
    Quote from: aaeyers on Yesterday at 12:29:41 pm

Allison-Rookie so we have not seen what he can do yet. Plus as of the current roster probably our best KR/PR(AD had his moments but i think most people, like myself get a little nervous seeing him back there). And unless he does something to get him in the dog house big time he will be back. Not saying that everyone else is bad, except TWont , but if the bring in the right FA and draft picks they could bump one or several of them out. To keep Defenses honest and not stack 8-9 in the box you need some WR's that will make our running game work. Of Course we need a QB to but that is not the argumnet here
    I would love for us to get a 3 headed monster at WR
    So why not a Berrian and a bryant johnson or . If people want TJack to be succesful why not give him every oportunity and the tools to do so?

I hear ya but have a couple of comments.....(as always
    )

I think that not only Rice but B-wade is also gauranteed a spot.
    I know alot of you don't like Bobby but as I've said repeatedly, his worth won't be realized until our QB can make hot reads and hit him in stride at precise times.
    Most of the passes he caught last year were late or behind him.
    The ones that he caught in stride he did get pretty decent YAC with.

Ferg I think has found a home.
    Again, I wasn't very happy with his pickup as I thought it would take reps from AA but as the year went on I think he got more comfortable and he and TJ's timing started to come together.

Long story short, I would love to see a WR lineup of:

Vet
    Rice
    B-wade (3 WR's)
    Fergy (In for Rice with B-wade in certain 3 WR sets or 4 WR sets)
    Allison continuing to contribute as necessary.

Remember, my decision is based on the fact that in this offense the WR must get off the line cleanly and run his routes very precisely and on time to ensure that the QB isn't throwing to air.

Additionally, most WR's take at least 3 years to really get to were they can exploit CB's off the line and in route running.
    B-wade and Fergy, plus the Vet (To Be Named This year) would give TJ some pretty decent options to throw to that he is comfortable with further aiding his progression.

IMHO we have enough youth at the WR position and shouldn't even consider drafting another until next year.
    By that time Rice and Allison should have become better route runners allowing for Fergy to hit the bricks.

Hey, Marrdro. What's up.

A couple things. I don't think its set in stone that we will only carry 5 WRs. If we do land a vet WR, then I think we will carry 6. That being said, I don't think that will happen. You keep preaching for us to bring in this vet WR, but who do you think would even come here? Remember how they pursued Curtis only to have him sign in Philly for less. I don't think it will be any different this year. They will pursue Berrian, Hackett, and maybe someone else, but will be unable to lure them hear.
    I think are WRs will remain unchanged next year. The only other option is to draft someone. Its a popular mock draft theme, but then we are drafting youth on top of youth without even knowing if the guys we have will produce or not. Not a good strategy, IMO.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast