Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Bad drafts bring down the proud

It was one of the most unintentionally arrogant comments ever made by a Vikings coach. Weary after a draft weekend and more than ready to go to his favorite watering hole (Bunny’s) to smoke a cigar and toss back a few adult beverages, Mike Tice was summing up his 2005 draft and what it did for his team. With a sigh and a smile, he lamented about the lack of undrafted free agent signings. “We’re having a tough time signing free agents. With the guys we have, it’s going to be tough for any of them to make the team. We’re pretty deep,” he said.
    Bad drafts bring down the proud
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Bad drafts bring down the proud

I like this part of the article.

The Vikings’ recent history has been to move up, despite success in the middle and late rounds. With a deep draft class and a late first-round pick, the Vikings may be tempted to go the route so many others have – trade down for future picks and lower-round picks and prove you’re the smartest guy in the room.
    We're bringing purple back.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

gregair13 wrote:

The Vikings’ recent history has been to move up, despite success in the middle and late rounds. With a deep draft class and a late first-round pick, the Vikings may be tempted to go the route so many others have – trade down for future picks and lower-round picks and prove you’re the smartest guy in the room.
    Gotta think that with 8 picks it will be very tempting to do a little horse trading for better players and note more players.

I could see them giving up a pick or two this year to move up next years number 1. Even though it would be a bit of a gamble it would be a strategic move and give us a team to cheer against!
    None

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

How you gonna be sure u get the number 1 overall pick next year? Do u know how the draft works bsmithberkley? That just doesn't make sense. Not to mention most teams don't want the first overall pick. Thats a huge risk that should only be taken by teams who need to take it.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

oaklandzoo24 wrote:
    How you gonna be sure u get the number 1 overall pick next year? Do u know how the draft works bsmithberkley? That just doesn't make sense. Not to mention most teams don't want the first overall pick. Thats a huge risk that should only be taken by teams who need to take it.
    Not sure how Bsmith would do it, however, if I was a GM and wanted to get up to number 1 next year I would keep trading down and stockpiling picks.

That would give me enough to move up to that spot next year as well as to have some in my hip pocket to work on a couple of other positions that need depth.

On the flip side of that, if I was the GM I wouldn't want the number 1. To much money to sign one of those cats especially when you can get a player of almost equal talent in the 2nd and possibly 3rd rounds at alot less both in picks and cash with very little risk to the organization.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 wrote:

100% agree.

Other than DT, all the other positions we seem to want to add depth in have value in every round.

If it gets into a bidding war for McCoy at the top of the second, ole number 30 might be one of those spots for a team to land on to get him.